Candy Cauldron sign change

Animaniac93-98

I never got why this candy store existed. Or why it was necessary.

Candy's a high margin, popular item. You can have lots of variety with relatively little square footage.

Having it in DTD saves you a trip to the confectionery on Main Street.

EDIT: Called it DTD instead of DS. Downtown Disney, Disney Village, Disney Town, Ikspiari, Festival Disney, Hyperion Warf, whatever, lol

Last edited:

tanc

Original Poster
Not sure if the Goofy place is a bakery, but the Candy Cauldron serves cupcakes and stuff like that too.

Edit: It does, I guess having one of west side is just easier? I do like the candy cauldron theme better though.

Dizknee_Phreek

So, we're all agreed: Disney should be using IP everywhere.

Kinda surprised it wasn't transformed into Sugar Rush (from Wreck-it Ralph).
Except Walt Disneyworld never was that “Disney”, what’s Disney about the Polynesian, or the Contempory? They didn’t need characters everywhere. Same as the Springs is meant to evoke an old springs with classic Spanish style architecture and old industries, just like the Poly is meant to feel like polynesia.

For me the Disney "look" has absolutely nothing to do with characters. In fact, I despise how they're now just shoving characters in our faces at every turn. I don't mind references here and there. For instance, the cute/comical character display in the gift shop at POR. Or having characters in the window display at the gift shops in Polynesian. Things that are little reminders of where you are (Disney World) without taking away from the overall theming of a place. But I do feel the use of IP now feels more in-your-face money grab, which is annoying to me.
What I mean by places feeling less Disney is the whimsy and wonderful theming is being taken away. In particular the newer hotels or the refurbs of existing hotels. The rooms at WL being a good example. The rooms, while updated and nice, just look like any other nice hotel off property. That's not what I want out of a Disney hotel. Same with the new addition to Coronado. Nice, but it doesn't match the rest of the theming of the existing hotel. It looks like it should be a completely different hotel. I'm not saying things shouldn't be updated or refurbed. Obviously, they have to be. But I expect Disney to do it with the same level of quality and attention to detail that they've always had. Instead of making everything look bland and cheap.

halltd

The old sign was absolutely giant! Cool, but giant. Maybe Disney had to come up with signage standards when all the 3rd party stores came in and they were forced to align with those standards themselves? So, a smaller sign was needed. :shrugs:

Cmdr_Crimson

To each their own, I loved the 90's.

I'd take it any day over the generic junk I see everywhere these days, from hotels to restaurants. This is beyond Disney too.

Soon, something creative will become an easy business opportunity since it'll stand out.
2020's: We need to be stylish with a comtemporary flair that makes it modern to this generation...
The 1990's:

PrinceCharming617

I miss the old sign, why is Disney making things so boring looking? What happened to having themed, fun looking stores and restaurants. If I wanted generic I'd go to an outlet mall.

Jon81uk

I miss the old sign, why is Disney making things so boring looking? What happened to having themed, fun looking stores and restaurants. If I wanted generic I'd go to an outlet mall.

Times and trends change. Back in the 90s when most of Downtown Disney was built everyone loved bright, garish over-the-top stuff and places like Planet Hollywood and Hard Rock Cafe. Nowadays a lot of people want better quality food rather than a gimmicky restaurant. The changes all shops, restaurants and stores are making are reflecting the tastes and trends of the time. In another 20 years things will change again.

itsy bitsy spider

Times and trends change. Back in the 90s when most of Downtown Disney was built everyone loved bright, garish over-the-top stuff and places like Planet Hollywood and Hard Rock Cafe. Nowadays a lot of people want better quality food rather than a gimmicky restaurant. The changes all shops, restaurants and stores are making are reflecting the tastes and trends of the time. In another 20 years things will change again.

There's a reason that the themed rooms and resorts are so popular though. If I'm on vacation I want 100% over the top Disney theming.

Jon81uk

There's a reason that the themed rooms and resorts are so popular though. If I'm on vacation I want 100% over the top Disney theming.
What themed rooms? I don’t know of any that are over the top Disney themed.
Some are themed closely to the style the building is based on, such as the American Northwest or Polynesia. But none are over the top Disney

Bocabear

What themed rooms? I don’t know of any that are over the top Disney themed.
Some are themed closely to the style the building is based on, such as the American Northwest or Polynesia. But none are over the top Disney
Actually.... they did some themed rooms at the Art Of Animation Resort, and were going to be doing more across property...AFIK

Jon81uk

Actually.... they did some themed rooms at the Art Of Animation Resort, and were going to be doing more across property...AFIK
Okay yes Art of Animation is the main resort offering a Disney animation theme.

but the old All Stars rooms for example did feel like a kids bedroom with the wallpaper frieze.

brihow

I love where this thread is going - should someone make a new thread about creative/daring design over newer streamlined choices?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom