candlelight first time.

matt9112

Original Poster
went tonight to see the processional and wow...i guess in order to actually "see" the show you need to do a dinner package. was there plenty early and the sheer volume of dinner package guests consumed the entire theater.

was left like a peasant standing in the back.

so if anyone plans on going I recommend buying the package.

Chef Mickey

It’s an amateur show and completely not worth the wait.

Yeah, I said it.

The American Adventure and Voices of Liberty are time much better spent.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I was there tonight too but had the dinner package and still was in the back corner. Lol. Love CP though and always make sure to see it if visiting this time of year. Oh and Kurt Russel did a great job. ;)

matt9112

Original Poster
I was there tonight too but had the dinner package and still was in the back corner. Lol. Love CP though and always make sure to see it if visiting this time of year. Oh and Kurt Russel did a great job. ;)

it's absurd really. it has grown into a mass of dinner packages. I didn't even watch it all. not holding a 7 year old that long. went and did our fast passes instead. granted I simply don't do waits and lines ect at WDW. if there's a point normal park going gets that bad I likely won't be a pass holder anymore. crowds are just too much of a headache.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
went tonight to see the processional and wow...i guess in order to actually "see" the show you need to do a dinner package. was there plenty early and the sheer volume of dinner package guests consumed the entire theater.

was left like a peasant standing in the back.

so if anyone plans on going I recommend buying the package.
It has been that way for quite some time now. You might get an occasional weeknight with one of the less popular narrators where standby can get a decent seat, but those nights are as rare as hen's teeth.

If you really want to see the show, you pretty much have to do a dinner package.

matt9112

Original Poster
It has been that way for quite some time now. You might get an occasional weeknight with one of the less popular narrators where standby can get a decent seat, but those nights are as rare as hen's teeth.

If you really want to see the show, you pretty much have to do a dinner package.

disappointing. oh well that's life.

matt9112

Original Poster
I kind of agree. I used to adore the show but, as with all their entertainment offerings, Disney hasn't made any compelling changes to show to make it worthwhile. Sure its fun to see some famous people read the story, and its a great time for the local school/choir kids, but at the core its really just not interesting anymore. If you are visiting the Orlando parks for Christmas and want REAL Christmas entertainment, go to SeaWorld.

I really liked the new Harry potter stuff. no up charge....no dinner package.

danyoung56

It’s an amateur show and completely not worth the wait.

Wow - I could not disagree with you more! I haven't done a Christmas visit in a few years, but when I do the Processional show is always a great highlight. As much as I love the Voices of Liberty, the Processional is a show I never miss on a Christmas visit.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I really liked the new Harry potter stuff. no up charge....no dinner package.
Give it time. Like anything else, popularity will eventually ruin it. In it's infancy, you could just walk up to Candlelight 15 minutes prior to the show and get a decent seat. Fast forward today and you have a show that quite literally can not be seen with out a dining reservation.

Once Universals Christmas offerings have a few years under their belts, guests will want guaranteed seating/viewing and will be willing to pay for it and Universal will be more than happy to take their money.

matt9112

Original Poster
I don't have a Universal AP so I can't comment but it looks amazing! That's why I adore SeaWorld. They actually decorate the entire park (even the landscaping) and everything they offer for Christmas is included in park admission; unless you want to get preferred seating. Great Guest Service and something Disney could learn

yeah I saw seaworld does some real nice stuff. let that AP lapse granted I already miss mako In all honesty I can't justify the trifecta and will likely drop Disney for a year. if I had more weekdays to visit sure but being a normal human going to work all the time and than some I only get to park it up on the weekends. on the Disney side this means I'm stuck with the crowds...

matt9112

Original Poster
Give it time. Like anything else, popularity will eventually ruin it. In it's infancy, you could just walk up to Candlelight 15 minutes prior to the show and get a decent seat. Fast forward today and you have a show that quite literally can not be seen with out a dining reservation.

Once Universals Christmas offerings have a few years under their belts, guests will want guaranteed seating/viewing and will be willing to pay for it and Universal will be more than happy to take their money.

selling upcharges is fine....destroying something for regular people because you want to sell more is not. in this case the theater just isn't as big as it needs to be for modern crowds and well Disney's not going to change that so. universal will hopefully never bee as busy as Disney I love how empty it can be even on a weekened!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
selling upcharges is fine....destroying something for regular people because you want to sell more is not. in this case the theater just isn't as big as it needs to be for modern crowds and well Disney's not going to change that so. universal will hopefully never bee as busy as Disney I love how empty it can be even on a weekened!
I think it is safe to say that the owners do not share your views and will be doing everything they can to fix that problem. Enjoy it while it lasts.

JIMINYCR

Its gotten more and more popular and you can see that bringing in the celebrity narrators drives the crowds in. The "amateur" entertainers still do a wonderful job with their ability to entertain the guests. Since the dinner package sales are filling up the prime seating areas maybe its time Disney opens it up into one of the spacious vacant buildings.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!

Ironically, it's sites like this one, doing a great job of hyping a product, that contribute to the overwhelming appeal of shows like CP.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Its gotten more and more popular and you can see that bringing in the celebrity narrators drives the crowds in. The "amateur" entertainers still do a wonderful job with their ability to entertain the guests. Since the dinner package sales are filling up the prime seating areas maybe its time Disney opens it up into one of the spacious vacant buildings.
Agreed, the next logical move would put CP in a closed venue where EVERYbody must purchase a dinner package to enjoy the show.

JIMINYCR

Agreed, the next logical move would put CP in a closed venue where EVERYbody must purchase a dinner package to enjoy the show.

They wouldnt necessarily have to make it as a ticketed only event, but expanding the seating area and hold the prime seats for dining package guests, as they do for Fantasmic.

thomas998

Yep.... Everything starts out free or reasonable and eventually the scarcity of the event and growing demand will pop up on a business man's radar screen and the next thing you know they start charging for the item to maximize profits. It always leaves me torn, as a shareholder I love it, but as a visitor it is a pain in the backside.

thomas998

It's becoming a class war at Disney, if you can pay, you can enjoy the parks BUT saying that I was there on Thursday and had to stand across the walkway but it is an incredible show and worth it if I could afford it. I would pay but the price of admission plus 4 dinner show tickets, no way for me.
Frankly for a lot of things that they charge for you are really better off watching a good Youtube video of the event instead. Sort of like watching a sporting event, if you can't afford the great seats you might as well just watch from home.

mj2v

We love the Candlelight Processional. I will personally kick anyone’s patootie that disses the story of Jesus’ birth! (Take a breath just, kidding).

I could envision it moving to the new MK theater. Closed in, no dining “partners” to split the proceeds with, etc.

That being said, just a moment of resarch will tell you that a dining package is a must for any narrator who is well known.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom