Canada: Le Cellier Steakhouse

wdwjmp239

Original Poster
I surprised my wife with dinner reservations at Le Cellier Steakhouse for our 6th Wedding Anniversary. What's posted below is a legitimate guest complaint I e-mailed Disney when we got back from our weekend:

"Hello,
I would like to bring to your attention about the treatment we received at Le Cellier Steakhouse (Canada / Epcot) on Saturday, March 9th. I made dinner reservations at Le Cellier in September for March 9th at 6:20pm for my wife and I for our sixth wedding anniversary. The reservations should be under <name withheld> (address: address withheld).
We were at Epcot at around 4:30pm and arrived at Le Cellier at 5:15pm to let the hostess know we were there. She looked at the computer, saw our reservations, and said to come back at around 5:45 and they'll check us in. So, we hung around the Canada Pavilion for a little bit, returned at 5:45pm. We approached the hostess and she said come back at 6:15pm and they'll check us in. At this point, we were starting to get a little bit aggravated over the fact that she told us to come back and then turned us away. We came back at 6:15pm to check in again. She checked us in and then proceeded to tell us that there was a 30 minute wait.
If our reservations were for 6:20pm, then why were we waiting until almost 7:30pm to have dinner? It makes no sense. I've made reservations at other dining establishments and if there's a 5 or 10 min wait outside of the reserved time, I'm fine with that. But 30 mins upwards to an hour? Unacceptable.
The situation my wife and I were up against was the issue of a long wait time, watching tables that had later reservations get sat before us, and since when does Disney practice the art of breaking up large parties? I was talking to a gentleman in the lobby who had a party of 10 guests. I saw in the menu that parties of six and more are subjected to an automatic 18% gratuity added in the check. He said that the hostess took the party and split it down the middle (5 at one table and 5 at the other). Two tables. One party. This screws up the works and it's extremely irritating for those who are still waiting to have dinner. I've worked in the restaurant industry for approximately ten years. I've seen the effects of splitting parties up. It's not a good idea, especially in a high volume environment like Disney restaurants.
I find your dining reservation system to have some flaws in it. If anyone shows up at a restaurant before their check in time, your system should allow the hostess to know that you are in the area and the hostess should not be sending away guests only to come back again. A pager/notification system would work well for Le Cellier. That way, when the customer checks in, they're given a pager, and when their time is available, the pager goes off and they can be seated. The current way, based on what I observed, was that your guests show up, check in five minutes before their reservation time, and disappear. Instead of the hostesses going out to find the party, they should call the name three times. If they don't answer...move on to the next reservation.
Just thought you would like to know."
The next day, I received a phone call from Kimmie Dupont (Guest Experience Services) and she was very professional over the phone. Based on the experience I had with Ms. Dupont, customer service is far from dead. Below is what she e-mailed me as a follow up to our phone conversation:
"Dear Mr. <lastname withheld>,
Thank you for taking the time to speak with me about your visit to the Walt Disney World® Resort.
Again, I apologize for your last visit to Le Cellier at Epcot. As we discussed, I have arranged a priority entrance for three attractions during your next visit to our Theme Parks. Upon your arrival, please visit any Theme Park Guest Relations location and present Case ID Number <case number withheld> and photo ID. They will make the necessary arrangements for you and your party to visit the attractions of your choice where Fastpass® Service is available. Please know, Theme Park admission is required.

I hope your next visit is filled with special memories.

Sincerely,
Kimmie DuPont
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort
407-xxx-xxxx"

Would we go back to Le Cellier? With no hesitation. :)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I visit Le Cellier every visit without fail. I've never had more than a 20 minute wait and have always been treated like visiting royalty [wearing Canadian flags and pins may give it away that I'm from the motherland ;)]. I'm glad you got a satisfactory response from Disney.

WishIWasAtWDW

I'm so sorry that your anniversary dinner was less than magical! I would have been furious. I also worked in the restaurant industry, as a hostess for six years, so restaurants not operating efficiently is one of my big pet peeves. I'm so glad to hear that Disney made things right and apologized for the poor service. It's also nice to see that you haven't given up on Le Cellier. I don't know if I could stay mad at a place that serves that delicious pretzel bread either! :D

Malin

Nice to see them offer you some priority entrances. But what it doesn't really say is what measures Disney are planning to take so that you or anyone else never has to experience a 30 minute wait in the future!!!

SecondStarTilMorning

Ahhh my wife and I have reservations there for our third anniversary! I'm learning that waiting extra long after your ADR time is par for the course at disney. We went to bistro de paris for our anniversary last year and it was a very long wait also. I hope the place is magical, because I'm starting to panic a little with how many $100+ meals we are having.

Club Cooloholic

That stinks. They should have told you that you would not be getting in earlier if you were hoping to dine earlier, thats but they should totally should have had you ready to go at your reserved time.

wdwjmp239

Original Poster
Nice to see them offer you some priority entrances. But what it doesn't really say is what measures Disney are planning to take so that you or anyone else never has to experience a 30 minute wait in the future!!!

I was told by the customer service rep that they are supposed to be using their hospitality paging system. So, if anyone has been to Le Cellier in the past two weeks (after our experience), could you verify that? I'd hate to see other guests go through the same thing.

wdwjmp239

Original Poster
Just me - but after 45 minutes, I would have told 'em "Thanks - cancel us", got on the boat, and had a GREAT steak at Shula's (and I'm betting Shula's would have had no problem seating you). And for me? I wouldn't go back to LC.

I'm the same way, but at a regular restaurant outside of Disney. I don't think any person in their right mind should have to wait 30+ mins to get into a Fridays, Ruby Tuesdays, Uno's Chicago Grill, Cheesecake Factory, etc..

In regards to Disney restaurants? The volume they deal with on a day in and day out basis eclipses what the chain restaurants do on a daily basis. So, to wait longer than 30 mins is pretty common. But, for the wait we had to put up with? Had it just been a regular day (no occasion), we would've left. My wife LOVES Le Cellier and I think for me to cancel the wait, she would've been heartbroken.

wdwjmp239

Original Poster
I visit Le Cellier every visit without fail. I've never had more than a 20 minute wait and have always been treated like visiting royalty [wearing Canadian flags and pins may give it away that I'm from the motherland ;)]. I'm glad you got a satisfactory response from Disney.

There was one day when my wife and I took a crack at Le Cellier and they seated us right away. I was absolutely floored. If I recall correctly, it was about 6:15-6:30pm.

emcclay

That is so strange. I wonder why they kept telling you to come back? They should have set up a pager for you. No matter if you are a two-top and another party is a ten-top, the staff should have managed this better considering how far in advance you do need to book a reservation at Le Cellier.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I worked 11 years in restaurants...and work in technology now. I would think a pager system is ineffective in a place like Disney. Guests would roam out of range of the local paging system, and then be upset that their "pager" never went off. Granted, some guests would know not to leave the limited radio range of the restaurants transmitter, but many would not.

Now, a text message / automated phone call system would work great! And could be implemented very cheaply (a tie in to the internet and a cheap computer is all that's required).

Funny you had this experience, because something I noticed on my last trip was that Le Cellier is connected by computer to the reservation system, whereas Chefs de France was not yet. I had almost the same experience...but at Chefs.

wdwjmp239

Original Poster
I worked 11 years in restaurants...and work in technology now. I would think a pager system is ineffective in a place like Disney. Guests would roam out of range of the local paging system, and then be upset that their "pager" never went off. Granted, some guests would know not to leave the limited radio range of the restaurants transmitter, but many would not.

This could happen anywhere, really. I've seen it happen quite a few times when I worked in the restaurant industry, as well. When I did a stint at the TGI Fridays in Lake Buena Vista (back in 1997), we'd hand a pager to the guest and the next thing you know they'd be roaming off to the Goodings store at the other end of the plaza.

Now, a text message / automated phone call system would work great! And could be implemented very cheaply (a tie in to the internet and a cheap computer is all that's required).

You would think that would work great. But, some cell phones lack signal strength inside Disney. On my iPhone (my carrier is through AT&T), I get just enough signal strength to actually send a text message (and most of the time, the message gets stuck and I have to re-send it later). Then, there's the issue with re-bar and other things metal which could impede your cell phone's signal strength which would cause this to not work as well as you would think.

Funny you had this experience, because something I noticed on my last trip was that Le Cellier is connected by computer to the reservation system, whereas Chefs de France was not yet. I had almost the same experience...but at Chefs.

The more I think about this now, I really think it is a training issue. We're quick to blame the technology, but there's the human-aspect to technology as well. So, maybe Disney needs to re-address the training on the technology before the cast members are allowed to use it in real time. Agree? Disagree?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom