Can You Water Ski At WDW?

Julius & Boobah

Original Poster
Just because I'm certain I've seen people do it on vacation videos, where is it done (seven seas lagoon???) and does anyone have any idea how much it costs?

peter11435

Julius & Boobah said:
Just because I'm certain I've seen people do it on vacation videos, where is it done (seven seas lagoon???) and does anyone have any idea how much it costs?
It is done on Bay lake. It is $80 for 1/2 hour or $140 for 1 hour with up to 5 guests on a boat.

shelty66

You can water ski in the polluted water because Disney makes money from it but you can't swim in it because Disney would need life guards, costs them money and they want more money from their water parks.

peter11435

The problem with swimming in the lakes is the bacteria that is present in nearly all fresh water lakes in Florida. This bacteria sits on the bottom of the lake. When you swim in the lake you must walk into the lake and often keep your feet on the lake bottom. This kicks up the bacteria, and allows it to possibly affect you. When you water ski, you are on top of the water, and when you fall you are still in the middle of the lake, and will not be able to unsettle the bacteria on the lake floor. Thus it is safe to water-ski but not to swim in the lakes.

Frumpy

It's the Amoebas that they worry about, I doubt the water's anymore "polluted" than any other lake in FL.

I found the following......

"Once inside the body, these amoebas just divide and divide, and you will have an overwhelming infection very quickly."

Although the state has counted only 19 cases since 1962, the infectious amoebas are common in Florida's freshwater lakes and rivers. Doctors say they get into the brain after the swimmer takes them into his or her nostrils.

The amobebas live in the material on the bottoms of freshwater lakes, rivers and hot springs, and have also been found in swimming pools which have not been chlorinated.

Health officials said it did not make much sense to close a lake because of the amoebas, because so many bodies of water are infected. A 1999 study found that 46 percent of the lakes sampled contained the organism.

"If we wanted to avoid all potential exposures to this organism, we would have to close all bodies of water in the state of Florida," said Dr. Steven Wiersma of the Florida Department of Health.

Headaches and nausea are the first symptoms, followed by seizures and coma.

Doctors said little is known why one person will become infected and another will not. One theory is that it takes a lot of water jammed into the nasal passages, perhaps by falling off water skis or jumping into the water. :eek:

mrtoad

If that is correct (only 19 cases in the past 40+ years) it seems silly that the swimming is off limits. I am sure (but am guessing) there have been mor deaths in the lakes of FL in the past 40 years due to other hazards (besides drowning). Like aligators, snakes, etc.

Why is this being treated differently?

Frumpy said:
It's the Amoebas that they worry about, I doubt the water's anymore "polluted" than any other lake in FL.

I found the following......

"Once inside the body, these amoebas just divide and divide, and you will have an overwhelming infection very quickly."

Although the state has counted only 19 cases since 1962, the infectious amoebas are common in Florida's freshwater lakes and rivers. Doctors say they get into the brain after the swimmer takes them into his or her nostrils.

The amobebas live in the material on the bottoms of freshwater lakes, rivers and hot springs, and have also been found in swimming pools which have not been chlorinated.

Health officials said it did not make much sense to close a lake because of the amoebas, because so many bodies of water are infected. A 1999 study found that 46 percent of the lakes sampled contained the organism.

"If we wanted to avoid all potential exposures to this organism, we would have to close all bodies of water in the state of Florida," said Dr. Steven Wiersma of the Florida Department of Health.

Headaches and nausea are the first symptoms, followed by seizures and coma.

Doctors said little is known why one person will become infected and another will not. One theory is that it takes a lot of water jammed into the nasal passages, perhaps by falling off water skis or jumping into the water. :eek:

Frumpy

Why is this being treated differently?

I don't know, If I remember right it was after a boy died from this in a central FL lake (non Disney) in the mid/late 90's then they closed the lakes to swimming at WDW then closed RC soon afterwards, liability?......I lost a friend in a FL lake years ago but it was from the weeds that grow on the bottom not some SiFi bug, you can get tangled up in weeds and drown.....gators aren't a worry we would swim around them all the time....snakes....snakes are a worry....

I hate snakes, Jock! I hate 'em!
Indiana :)

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Its very simple why Disney no longer allows it. It is dangerous, not only because of the bacterium, but because of the other dangers like alligators, and boats, etc. The pools at the resorts are much safer, so why should Disney open themselves to a tragedy if it isn't something they need to offer?

mrtoad

Thrawn said:
Its very simple why Disney no longer allows it. It is dangerous, not only because of the bacterium, but because of the other dangers like alligators, and boats, etc. The pools at the resorts are much safer, so why should Disney open themselves to a tragedy if it isn't something they need to offer?

I do see the point but as a kid going to WDW in the 1970s we swam at the Polynesian all the time and there were pools at the resort then too. I never thought of the alligators back then but the boats were not a concern as teh swimming areas were like any lake beach, roped off and you could not drive boats in that area.

Buckeye

mrtoad said:
I do see the point but as a kid going to WDW in the 1970s we swam at the Polynesian all the time and there were pools at the resort then too. I never thought of the alligators back then but the boats were not a concern as teh swimming areas were like any lake beach, roped off and you could not drive boats in that area.

Many more lawyers in 2005 as compared to 1970's. Back then if a gator ate you or a boat ran over you, it was your fault. Now, somebody must pay!

Frumpy

PLEASE....this isnt Egypt we don't have man eating croc's their gators they don't eat people....well unless the've been fed by them and associate people with food and are over ten+ feet or so.....quit living in DeNile :lol:

Thrawn

Account Suspended
bgraham34 said:
I have seen crocks make into Disney pools before. I bet its more of a money issue. They dont make money it.

Your comment lacks logic. If the alligators (there are no crocodiles in Florida) can make it into the pools, how many do you think are hiding in Seven Seas Lagoon?
Ones getting into the pools happens once every couple of years, and thats because the pools are located away from other bodies of water. Seven Seas Lagoon is a huge lake that is dark and murky. Big difference.

Frumpy

Thrawn said:
(there are no crocodiles in Florida)

We do have a small colony of American Crocs that live down in the southern tip of the state around the Turkey Point Nuclear plant, Their even less aggessive than Gators and noting like their Nile cousins.. no worries!

Nemo14

Julius & Boobah said:
Thanks alot that's pretty resonable. Have you ever seen a character water skiing there does it happen often?
Several years ago we saw Goofy and Smee water skiing by the side of the ferry to MK

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom