Can you go from a Deluxe to a Value?

mbaker1277

I am considering a stay at a value resort(POP or ASMO) after staying in deluxe resorts for years. We have stayed at the BWI the last few visits, and last year we stayed at the CR with a tower room MK view, which was awesome! We can do the exact same vacation we did last year if we stay in a Value resort for 1/3 the price. I like the larger beds in the Deluxe resorts, and especially the convience of the Epcot resorts, but the price difference is huge! So, can a deluxe girl go value?

We liked Port Orleans --Riverside-- though we will always call it Dixie Landings. Now we are in the Vacation Club we stay at Old Key West Resort.Surroundings are important to me as we like the odd lazy day round the resort pool.You can get the feel of different resorts if you go and dine there.

Upvote 0

hcswingfield

We've stayed at value resorts twice, moderate resorts twice, and deluxe resorts 3 times. My preference is for the Epcot resorts, because of proximity to two parks and lots of really good eating choices nearby. Port Orleans was pretty good, and I wouldn't mind staying there again. My major problem with the value resorts is that they are where the large groups of school kids (sports teams, cheerleaders, field trips, tour groups from overseas) usually stay, so there are large crowds of loosely supervised children in the pool, on the resort grounds, and (most annoying) in the food court and lobby areas. The food court can get really crowded and noisy in a hurry. There are lots of loud kids running past your room at all hours.

There are children in all the resorts, but the ones in the Deluxe resorts are much more likely to be there with their parents, so they are generally better supervised and are therefore better behaved.

Upvote 0

mbaker1277

Original Poster
Wow! I never knew that one question could spark so much interest. After lots of comparison and going over the numbers I don't think I can go value. We tend to spend more time at the resort each year, and I think going from A MK Tower room at CR And the BWI to an All-Star would be pretty hard.
We will definately be splitting our stay. I know the second half will be at the YC(which will be a first for us). For the first half we are considering returning to the WL or AKL, where the price is not much more than a moderate.
Thnaks for all of your thoughts and advice!

Upvote 0

jenniferk

I could never. Since staying at deluxe resorts since I was little and then staying at a value resort it wasn't good. They are really different like others you get what you pay for. The walking at the value hotels stink. I like everything in one main building. If thats all you can afford then go and have a blast.

Upvote 0

lamarvenoy

I go alot and I've stayed almost everywhere on and off property. We prefer the CR and Poly. In recent years we have been staying at the Mods more simply because when on special they can be as low as $79. This last year we stayed at the POP and actually liked it! It was new and clean and although not as spread out as the other resorts we were used to it was still "Disneyish". The POP is decent and downright cheap. As far as Mods go I'd suggest CSR, it is my favorite Mod and has great theming and is the newest one so it is not as worn. The last couple times we were at the CBR we were dissapointed with the condition of the room. We average 25-35 nights on property per year so we expect a certain level of magic and I can say honestly although POP is not the Boardwalk its not motel 6 either!

Upvote 0

noname70

The age old question-save $ on a room you'll only sleep in vs. the convenience and atmosphere of a deluxe. I go through this every trip (often split trips cuz a week at a deluxe can break me financially).
One side note, and I know this could happen anywhere BUT, the only time (twice) I've seen fist fights break out at WDW has been during my stays at values.
1) a drunk on a bus from DTD to POP got out of hand
2) two drunk guys at the poolside bar at ASM went at it (the guy's teenage son was there too-crying)
:hammer:

Upvote 0

drp4video

I have always stayed at values, POP or ASMU. We are going in DEcember and I was already to stay at POR, but I start to look at the price difference, and I just can't bring myself to do it. We are in the parks all day, they are open late, and my daughter (17) loves POP's food court. It is just the two of us, so I think it will be POP again.

Upvote 0

durangojim

I've only stayed at a moderate once and never at a value. Not to say that those aren't great resorts but the type of vacation we enjoy is what we consider the entire Disney experience. For us that usually means having breakfast on our patio or by the river at wilderness lodge, then going to the parks for a few hours in the morning. Afterwards we come back and enjoy the pool during the hottest time of the day, we might hang out in the room for a little while after, then back to the parks for the evening or maybe enjoying a nice restaurant at one of the resorts or the parks. We're not people who believe that you only sleep in the room, because we do much more. It's nice to be able to surprise my wife with a massage, or take a walk by the 7 seas lagoon or bay lake. You just can't do those things at a value. Like others have said you have to decide what kind of vacation you want and what you enjoy when you're at WDW. We've stayed at GF, WL, PR, BC, AKL, and DL. Wilderness Lodge (best value) and Grand Floridian (most romantic) are our favorites.

Upvote 0

mbaker1277

Original Poster
durangojim said:
I've only stayed at a moderate once and never at a value. Not to say that those aren't great resorts but the type of vacation we enjoy is what we consider the entire Disney experience. For us that usually means having breakfast on our patio or by the river at wilderness lodge, then going to the parks for a few hours in the morning. Afterwards we come back and enjoy the pool during the hottest time of the day, we might hang out in the room for a little while after, then back to the parks for the evening or maybe enjoying a nice restaurant at one of the resorts or the parks. We're not people who believe that you only sleep in the room, because we do much more. It's nice to be able to surprise my wife with a massage, or take a walk by the 7 seas lagoon or bay lake. You just can't do those things at a value. Like others have said you have to decide what kind of vacation you want and what you enjoy when you're at WDW. We've stayed at GF, WL, PR, BC, AKL, and DL. Wilderness Lodge (best value) and Grand Floridian (most romantic) are our favorites.[/QUOTE

That sounds exactly like us! I was not thinking about nighttime activities at a resort when I was weighing the cost difference between a deluxe and a value. We always come back for a few hours in the afternoon for a nap or relaxation, and head back out in the evening. A good many people(especially my family) don't understand about spending the extra money for a deluxe resort, but the resort experience is a large part of our vacation. I think we have decided to stick with our favorite deluxe resorts. Thanks for all of your responses!

Upvote 0

DisneySam

I LOVE the delux resorts, and if I had only stayed in them, it would be difficult to go to a Value. However, I am usually only there to sleep at night (very few hours at that) so its not that big of a deal to me. If you are considering a value, I would go with the POP. The beds really aren't too bad in the Value resorts either, but I can understand where you are coming from the ones at the Concierge floor of the WL are better than my bed at home! LOL

EDIT***
Or go with POR or one of the Moderates, not that much more expensive and the theming is better (I think)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom