Can you bring a laptop into the parks?

LizC

Here is what I think is getting lost. I have to work anyways to meet my deadlines for my clients. Many days I can work at whatever location I want. Why not do it at a place that is relaxing to me instead of my stuffy office? I think working at the parks on rare occasion would keep me relaxed and less frustrated when I am working on a difficult project. Instead of walking around the office to get away from my computer for a while, I could take a boat ride on the land, and get right back to it.

Disney World is not the vacation destination for me that it is for most people. I have been there so many times that I lost count years ago, and because of that Disney has more of a home feeling to me rather than a vacation destination. A very relaxing home that is. All being said, I wouldn't work at the parks very often at all. In fact, I am sure it would be extremly rare. It just would be something I may do rarely just to break up the monotony of sitting in the same boring office everyday.
Good for you. I would actually be able to do this too, if I lived close enough. Ahh to get some work done then take a ride on Malestrom, that would be the life!

luv

People take iPads, so I'm thinking a laptop would be okay. Wouldn't be my thing, but if you want to do it, why not?

JIMINYCR

Let me clarify some things before people start collecting money to check me into Workaholics Anonymous. I have been a passholder for nearly 9 years and I live only a hop skip away from the parks. When you have been a passholder as long as I have you tend to do strange things like sit in a rocking chair on Tom Sawyers Island for several hours while watching cast members paint the ferry boat. This is because there is no agenda to gets things done because I can experience the magic at just about any time.

That being said, I have been blessed with a career that allows me to make my own schedule and work at any place at any time. Sometimes I get tired of staring at the 4 white corners of my office, and sometimes I get tired of working from home. If I have the unique opportunity to find a cozy spot at one of the pavilions while making money, and experiencing the sights and sounds of Epcot I think it would make what I am doing seem less like work. It certainly beats a day sitting in my office. Am I the only one that sees logic in this or am I crazy?

OOOKAYYY I'll cut you some slack. But make sure you don't over do it. :) Remember the parks were built for relaxation and enjoyment. If this outdoor office thing catches on Disney will find a way to make money off it by renting out work spaces for people like you.:p

eroyee

At first, I thought you were a little "goofy" but now I see you have to work. That's a really amazing idea. I would love to be able to do that. How exciting....

RonAnnArbor

Just to burst your bubble --- they have spotty free wi-fi in the parks -- but it is NOT highspeed wifi....it will do for basic email, but don't expect any of those websites to load very quickly -- in fast, my iPhone 3G speed was much much much faster than the wifi speed in the parks...its there, it works ok, but your not going to be downloading any major files to your laptop or streaming any videos without near-constant bufferning...

While the wifi is there, is primary purpose it to eventually manage the internet-based fast-pass system, which is simple small bursts of kb of data, not megabytes of internet web-site data....

Oddysey

Original Poster
Just to burst your bubble --- they have spotty free wi-fi in the parks -- but it is NOT highspeed wifi....it will do for basic email, but don't expect any of those websites to load very quickly -- in fast, my iPhone 3G speed was much much much faster than the wifi speed in the parks...its there, it works ok, but your not going to be downloading any major files to your laptop or streaming any videos without near-constant bufferning...

While the wifi is there, is primary purpose it to eventually manage the internet-based fast-pass system, which is simple small bursts of kb of data, not megabytes of internet web-site data....

Thanks for letting me know how unproductive this would be. I would have gone to the park and lost a day of work, and then possibly ranted about it in this thread. You saves me some aggrevation.

cba

Don't take my word for it since I haven't been to WDW since 2011, but when I've been to places with free wi-fi, it's been pretty slow. But then again, you can't judge a book by its' cover.

jensenrick

Okay not trying to sound smart but why would you do that? I know you said that you might try and work from the parks but, why?

Thats why laptops, smart phones, and any type of electronic decice that can keep you tied to work should be banned from Disney. Just saying. Sorry don't mean to rant about this. :rolleyes:

Banned? You'll pry my iphone from my cold, dead hand! :eek:

Hanna Garrett

Let me clarify some things before people start collecting money to check me into Workaholics Anonymous. I have been a passholder for nearly 9 years and I live only a hop skip away from the parks. When you have been a passholder as long as I have you tend to do strange things like sit in a rocking chair on Tom Sawyers Island for several hours while watching cast members paint the ferry boat. This is because there is no agenda to gets things done because I can experience the magic at just about any time.

That being said, I have been blessed with a career that allows me to make my own schedule and work at any place at any time. Sometimes I get tired of staring at the 4 white corners of my office, and sometimes I get tired of working from home. If I have the unique opportunity to find a cozy spot at one of the pavilions while making money, and experiencing the sights and sounds of Epcot I think it would make what I am doing seem less like work. It certainly beats a day sitting in my office. Am I the only one that sees logic in this or am I crazy?

Hanna Garrett

I am So glad you posted this, I am a virtual recruiter, and will need to work for a 3 hours in Magic Kingdom for 2 days while my hubby entertains our daughter. I am sure I will get crazy stares wondering why I have to work at Magic Kingdom, but thats ok, used to it! :) Do you recommend a place where I can work on the computer and make calls that is indoors and/or a quit corner? I couldnt find anywhere last time except a super noisy cafeteria!!

Minnie Mum

I am So glad you posted this, I am a virtual recruiter, and will need to work for a 3 hours in Magic Kingdom for 2 days while my hubby entertains our daughter. I am sure I will get crazy stares wondering why I have to work at Magic Kingdom, but thats ok, used to it! :) Do you recommend a place where I can work on the computer and make calls that is indoors and/or a quit corner? I couldnt find anywhere last time except a super noisy cafeteria!!

Did you notice that this thread is a 5 year old zombie thread? And did you read the post about how slow and spotty the WiFi is in the parks?

While it has improved in the last 5 years, it still isn't dependable to the point of having enough speed to download large files or to stream. Speed really bogs down during the day as tens of thousands of guests use it for FPs, attraction wait times, etc.

I'd suggest that if you MUST work for part of the day that you go over to the Contemporary. The WiFi will be better, and it will certainly be quieter.

matt clark

if the wifi sucks you could just turn your phone into a hot spot if you get 4G anywhere while you are there.....
if it works.. id like to barrow your life please lol.

Hanna Garrett

Did you notice that this thread is a 5 year old zombie thread? And did you read the post about how slow and spotty the WiFi is in the parks?

While it has improved in the last 5 years, it still isn't dependable to the point of having enough speed to download large files or to stream. Speed really bogs down during the day as tens of thousands of guests use it for FPs, attraction wait times, etc.

I'd suggest that if you MUST work for part of the day that you go over to the Contemporary. The WiFi will be better, and it will certainly be quieter.
Thank you! I have my own hot spot with Verizon so that's not an issue. Thank you so much for the reply! :) Yes I need quiet for at least a few hours then I will be closing the laptop and enjoying the rest of my stay! Thankfully I only have to work in the park 2 days. The previous 6 I will be "off" so its not as bad as it may seem. :)

Hanna Garrett

if the wifi sucks you could just turn your phone into a hot spot if you get 4G anywhere while you are there.....
if it works.. id like to barrow your life please lol.
Thank you! Yes I have my own wifi, so thats a non-issue! LOL! Yes I love my job... its better than being stuck in an office for sure!

DisneyJoe

Do you recommend a place where I can work on the computer and make calls that is indoors and/or a quit corner? I couldnt find anywhere last time except a super noisy cafeteria!!
It's difficult to find quiet locations in the parks, background sounds and music and people tend to make it noisy. Most of the good areas that I have found have been at a resort, such as the Contemporary.

Phonedave

It's difficult to find quiet locations in the parks, background sounds and music and people tend to make it noisy. Most of the good areas that I have found have been at a resort, such as the Contemporary.

I agree. I have had to work from the parks a number of times. Well, let me clarify that, I was not on vacation at WDW and had to work, I was on a business trip to Tampa (used to have to go there quite often) and I would extend them into park visits, but sometimes I had follow up work to complete from the business meeting I had been in.

Anyway, I would either work from my room (back then, via a cell modem - remember those) or go to the lobby of the resort (usually SSR). It was hard to find quiet places where you could acutally make a call or concentrate on something without interruption.

Even if I could have worked from the parks at that time (there was no wi-fi then) I cant see it as being anything close to productive. I would rather spend 2 hours in my room finishing a presentation and then close my laptop and leave it there, then drag it into the park and spend 3 hours doing the same thing, and then have to walk around with my laptop.

BigRedDad

I've never taken one to the parks, but I have taken it when I go down. With our business cut to skeleton crews, there are no backups. Even with mission critical work, you have no one to pass it off to. Its easier to login in the morning, respond to critical needs, check back in the afternoon, and be done. After all, I rely on my job to be able to go to WDW. I took my DD down one time. I got a call at 9AM in the park from my manager. I had to be on a conference call and she asked what time I could be on it. DD and I left the park at 1:30, got to the pool are at 2:30, I played with her for a little while, and she played the pool games. I sat on the call from 3-4:30PM watching her and going through the meeting. They were all jealous and appreciative of me being able to get on the call.

kap91

Yes you can. When I was in college I spent a day doing homework in storybook circus in between seeing my mom on her sets.

NelsonRD

You know what? I never thought of this but it might be fun and useful to take an iPad into the parks. You can take photos and video with an iPad. I never ride the really big thrill rides so I could sit with the iPad while my family is riding other rides. It might be a useful thing to have, with all the Disney apps and such. I might think about investing in an iPad for our Disney trips.

Please do not bring an ipad to the parks with the sole purpose of photography and time wasting. The photos will come out terrible, the screen will be distracting to others, and if you need to be entertained every second of every minute, use your phone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom