Can they make a ride without screens?

Disneyhead'71

Can Universal build rides without screens? Really? Their last restaurant looks like this:
3-NBC-Sports-Grill-Brew-Exterior2.jpg

Disneyhead'71

I don't think that outlining the reasons that I find one Universal ride (within the otherwise stunning Diagon Alley) to be "meh" makes me a "Disney Fanboi." You like what you like.
I wasn't specifically referring to you. More to the barrage of hate that has rained down on Kong by people who hate Universal already and who have never ridden the attraction.

Every Universal attraction does'nt have to be in 3D, but let me just say this...they can at least mix it up a little bit. I mean when they actually debut an attraction if it's next year or take a year off, and come back the next year with a new attraction. But 2017 fast and furious supercharged-a bigger expected version than hollywood, and jimmy fallon. Oh and Volcano Bay, let's hope they won't put 3D glasses on a waterslide!!!! lmfaoooooo Waterproof 3D goggles i can't picture it. But yes I think Universal needs to turn it down a notch. Just watched Jurassic Park River Adventure and the physical sets, outdoor theming, AA's, were fantastic. I'd like to see more AA's starting to walk around like The Raptor Encounter, see Universal can make AA's more advanced. That's the first AA I've seen that's walked moved on it own seriously. Just picture when Jurassic World comes if they make an attraction featuring a Indominus Rex walking straight toward you...I'd rather have that in real scenery rather than 3D..with glasses included. Universal is capable...don't say their not. Animatronics will get better as time goes on....they'll be on the rise once again I can feel it.

Last edited:

rufio

Original Poster
But why? What possible purpose would there be- to tying one hand behind their back that way? This isn't a coaster at six flags, this is immersive new themed entertainment, and I can't see any reason why they wouldn't use the very LATEST advances in ALL areas of showmanship to create their incredible new rides. New ride systems, new effects, new AAs, newer and more exciting screens- bring em ALL on, and combine them in exciting new ways, says I.

It's needlessly restrictive- like saying to your doctor, "okay, you can operate, but don't use any scalpels. Find another way."
For that matter, where would a ride like Mystic Manor be without projection effects?

In fact, I've wondered if one of my fave destroyed attractions, World of Motion, might have been better off adding some large screen effects, especially near the end- to bring up the excitement after being slowly pulled past all those sets. Maybe then it would still be around, instead of being replaced by the disappointing Test Track.
I wasn't specifically referring to you. More to the barrage of hate that has rained down on Kong by people who hate Universal already and who have never ridden the attraction.

I have an annual pass to Universal. I don't hate it, but I do wish they'd add some variety.

jensenrick

Again, Universal does what they do with screens and people love it, their attendance increased and they still have the best rides in Florida with Spiderman and FJ.

They will be building more practical rides with Nintendo so just wait if that's what you really feel you need.

Well, in regard to Nintendo, I sure hope not! The last thing Orlando needs is another sedate "dark ride" to saunter thru. Ugh, the whole "dark ride" thing is going the way of the dino.

Let's say there was a balancing scale, where the needle could tip one way towards "Kong" and another way towards "Journey of the Little Mermaid" - I would have my thumb on the "Kong" side of that scale, don't care how many 'screens' there are.

Tom Morrow

Something tells me you haven't actually ridden Kong.

Kong is a $100 million full blown E Ticket that Disney fans would be crowing about to no end if they had built it at WDW.

So, you want a practical Transformers ride with 25 40' tall animatronics that throw down in an epic MMA fight?
I have ridden it and I think you are overhyping it. Yes it's an expensive, full-blown E-ticket. Dropping it in any park in the world outside of Orlando would blow everyone away. But it's in a park/resort with many attractions that all hit the exact same marks. Move to scene, stop. Action unfolds on a screen. Move to next scene, stop. Action unfolds on a screen. I will say I was initially letdown by Transformers, and it's now one of my favorite rides, so my opinion might change with a second ride on Kong and knowing what to expect.

I would like for Universal to develop ride concepts that don't require screens.

And for the record I root for Universal over Disney, but the reaction to Kong seems to be lackluster so far and we have two attractions coming that will also probably hit the same notes...

Last edited:

Evolution

Of course, but variety is the spice of life. If every single ride was basically you watching a movie with motion... who would go? You have to build variety. Universal can and has done it. They have done it brilliantly in the past in my opinion. Crashing helicopters, giant apes, firey explosions. I miss that, I miss Universal taking me into the movies, not making me watch them.

Obviously enough people are going to where their attendance continues to increase. Only Orlando parks to increase in attendance this year.

DarthMileZ

i went to UNI and IOA the past 3 days, have to say since Jaws went ive been struggling to pick my new favourite ride.

im not into rollercoasters and im not a massive fan of simulators either. i can do some of them like Spider-Man but i found FJ too intense.

Men In Black now stands as my favourite but i fear for its future as its quickly becoming uncool.

BrerJon

Men In Black now stands as my favourite but i fear for its future as its quickly becoming uncool.

Don't worry there's a new movie on the horizon, MIB 23 (a crossover between MIB and 21 Jump Street), so that should give the ride a boost of relevance. It's also a nice thematic anchor for Halloween Horror Nights, which are such a key money spinner for Universal, so I think it's here to stay.

Timekeeper

Just watched Jurassic Park River Adventure and the physical sets, outdoor theming, AA's, were fantastic. I'd like to see more AA's starting to walk around like The Raptor Encounter, see Universal can make AA's more advanced. That's the first AA I've seen that's walked moved on it own seriously. Just picture when Jurassic World comes if they make an attraction featuring a Indominus Rex walking straight toward you...I'd rather have that in real scenery rather than 3D..with glasses included. Universal is capable...don't say their not. Animatronics will get better as time goes on....they'll be on the rise once again I can feel it.

If I read your post correctly, the raptor you're referring to is not an AA.

A foolish mortal

For that matter, where would a ride like Mystic Manor be without projection effects?

Again... We are not talking about projection effects... We are talking rides that are mostly simulator screens, so you dont have to bring in projection effects into this, cause they are two different things!

Also I wouldn't mind if it was a few rides with the same simulator system, but we are talking almost ALL the new rides. Its getting boring.. And no its not amazing, or new.. its old and over used. If i want a screen experience i can buy the King Kong movie and watch it at home. I do like that they are using AAs.. but i wish the whole ride was actors and AAs and amazing sets.. instead of screens.. Theres nothing really impressive about screens...But look how amazing that Kong AA is... THAT is impressive.. not the screens you have seen a hundred times. BUT people will NEVER agree on this.. and we all have different opinions.. and thats why i WISH Uni would make more rides with bigger variety, as Disney are doing! That way they could please more people.. not only simulator lovers :) But again.. we will never agree on this, and i respect that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom