can someone explain this to me?

devoy1701

Yes, the Yeti is broken. But does it have to be the basis for every 'maintenance sucks!' thread? Harp on something else for a change.

What else do you want? Tirain went through a pretty exhaustive list on the Potter thread just yesterday, so if you don't agree, that's fine, but it does nothing else but strengthen TDO's belief that regular park guests dont care/notice these things so they don't need to bother with them.

The earthquake effect on Big Thunder has been missing for years, half of the AAs on Splash aren't working. The sound quality of Space Mountain is terrible and it's only been operating for a year. They can't get simple things on Pirates to work correctly like the towering hats on the pirate or the sword fight projections on the fortress. Over in Epcot you have half of Imagination shuttered and ALL of Wonders of Life, the Angler Fish in Nemo works half the time, Over on Test Track the sound and images projected on the in-car screens have been staticy for the past 2 years in addition to other effects that have been hit or miss. In DAK of course you have the Yeti, Hopper on It's Tough to be a Bug", many effects in Dinosaur, and until recently the wobbly bridge on Kilomanjaro all not working correctly. In Hollywood Studios the Aliens on Great Movie ride are inoperative or like the one in the ceiling, completely missing.

That's just what I remember off the top of my head anyway.

What bothers me is that it isn't any sweat off of anybody's back to notice and to bring up these things to Guest Relations, or to mention them online or to join sites like ours to support getting these things fixed. You can still enjoy your vacation whether attractions are working right or not and no one is telling you NOT to enjoy your trip. No one is also saying that you can't "love" Disney if you notice or call them on things they don't do well.

It's not just about maintenance though either...it's the fact that merchandise offerings have been limited, that food offerings are of lower quality, that resort amenities are lessening, that the value of DDP is less, that Hard Ticket parties go up in price and get more frequent which means regular guests spend less time in MK without having to pay an additional premium AND the offerings to those guests attending the parties gets less as they sell more tickets each year and they make spending decisions such as cutting the fireworks show down by 3 minutes over previous years.

This is a general comment and in no means directed at you Kamikaze, but it's completely absurd to claim that those of us mention maintenance issues are haters and are just blowing smoke, and it's completely naive to go on pretending nothing is wrong at WDW.

I personally still have a great time each and every time I go to WDW, but that doesn't mean things can't be better, or haven't been better in the past.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I haven't seen the parks looking as fresh and clean and well maintained as they were on my visit last month since 1996. Yes, there are still some glaring issues but the discussion of them has been repeated so often on these boards they've overshadowed the positives. The parks do not look anywhere near as tired as they did five or six years ago, but it's only when the discussion is about the faults that make for long memorable threads.

I do agree, thats an upside.

You can't have it both ways either they are cutting back or they are expanding.

Have you taken a moment to consider that perhaps some of the people visiting WDW are the ones causing damage to the property? I've seen it happen many times. Just because they purchase an entrance ticket they seem to think it's a free for all and destruction mode sets in ruining it for others. I've seen parents let their little one just break and destroy and tell them nothing. Disney has countless trash cans, yet time and time again I witness people just litering all over the place. Really? I've read complaints about the C.M however, many visitor have this I'M ENTITLED mentality making it quite challenging for the C.M. to do their job with a smile. Let's stop point the finger at Disney and look around.

These days a nice facility, public area or store front can be built and you know kids are going to come around and destroy it. Later on they are going to complain about the way it looks.

I think what the OP is particularly asking is why are they expanding/adding new areas to the parks when it seems like there has been cutbacks/downscaling to what is already existing in the parks. Some people might not think it's happening, but it's a perfectly logical question. For instance why have the massive refurbs for JC, Splash, and Big Thunder continue to be pushed back and other guest areas remain walled off, yet their investing in new guest areas.

One answer, and I think it's a valid one is that MK has a capacity issue and can hardly afford for some of the E-tickets to go down in MK's current state. This was presented in the article a couple days ago that discussed the scavenger hunt game coming to MK. I sincerely hope that when FLE opens that some of the older E-Tickets will infact get the refurbs they desperately need.

I got nothing in the terms of reasons why WoL has been closed for almost 10 years with no replacement, or why half of Imagination has been closed, or why UoE has yet to be updated... :shrug:

You ready my mind well. Basically the way it looks to me they are upgrading and making things better. But still they continue to put things off, jack up the prices but the way it seems to me, seeing all these hotels go up make me think that they are doing better then ever. But then there was a time where the parks took a steep drop and fell apart. Its going to take time to recover all the what I like to call Eisner damage. If you disagree I am open minded to opinions.

Clever Name

There is absolutely no doubt that the quality of the Disney parks has drastically declined across the board during the past decade. While there are many areas of concern, for this post, I’ll just mention one specific example. Prior to 2003, you would never see a CM wearing their costumes (uniforms) off site. Disney use to keep all the costumes on site and CM’s had to change into their costumes on the employees own time. The employees sued and won the case.

Now, many CM’s take their costumes/uniforms home. As a result, you see CM’s at Wal-Mart shopping or the local bars getting hammered. You also see CM’s in costume using Disney transportation to commute to their job sites. Prior to the lawsuit you never saw that sort of thing. Also, the quality of CM’s has gone way downhill due to the low pay. :wave:

AEfx

Thank you, I did as you suggested and I stand by my interpretation of the OP's comment, even allowing for the poor grammar.

They are not mutually exclusive.

You can add things, while cutting back on other things.

For example, they added some new effects to HM that are great, and the attraction is very well maintained these days. But just a few 100 yards away, Splash and Thunder were ignored for many months with broken effects. So they spent a li'l on HM, but left BTMM and Splash to fester.

Another example, they are cutting back monorail times, but adding back performances of Fantasmic (though they took them away to begin with, so that is sort of a wash).

It ain't rocket science. ;)

That said, there is this new "hater-hater" trend with the influx of new members recently. The vast majority of people on this site are fair and even minded. We are not all-negative, nor all-positive. We call it like it is, good and bad.

It's unfortunate that this new trend is to bash anyone that suggests things aren't all honky dory. It's much like the Star Wars "hater-haters" - it's become declasse to say you don't like the Prequels, and the hate against people that even breathe a single word of criticism is incredible (and becomes worse than the original complaint to begin with). It's the same feeling I get here. I mean, some of these posts in response are really unnecessary and hypocritical in being mean and negative to someone they are accusing of being negative.

The truth is, yeah, a lot of stuff is getting outdated at WDW, or in not great repair. There are sections of the parks themselves and grounds (like the TTC) that look like remnants of the past and not current, where even signage looks outdated. We have attractions with missing, broken effects (including one where the entire selling point of the ride - EE - has been broken for a half decade, almost since it was built).

It feels like WDW is much like Disneyland was a decade ago. Running things until they have no choice but to repair, or remove, them, a focus on marketing as opposed to quality, etc. All things that are par for the course in a publicly held company these days.

But what used to set Disney apart was that they just did things different, and now they do things like everyone else. It's why Disneylanders are no longer jealous of all the great stuff at WDW, and why Universal made what are considered by most to the best rides in existence, trumping anything Disney has done in both the 00's (Spidey) and now in the 10's (Potter).

Recognizing these things does not make one a hater, or mean they do not enjoy going to WDW. While I'm the first to call "rose colored glasses", in this case the evidence is simply to overwhelming to ignore unless you are a true apologist.

cymbaldiva

They are not mutually exclusive.

You can add things, while cutting back on other things.

For example, they added some new effects to HM that are great, and the attraction is very well maintained these days. But just a few 100 yards away, Splash and Thunder were ignored for many months with broken effects. So they spent a li'l on HM, but left BTMM and Splash to fester.

Another example, they are cutting back monorail times, but adding back performances of Fantasmic (though they took them away to begin with, so that is sort of a wash).

It ain't rocket science. ;)

That said, there is this new "hater-hater" trend with the influx of new members recently. The vast majority of people on this site are fair and even minded. We are not all-negative, nor all-positive. We call it like it is, good and bad.

It's unfortunate that this new trend is to bash anyone that suggests things aren't all honky dory. It's much like the Star Wars "hater-haters" - it's become declasse to say you don't like the Prequels, and the hate against people that even breathe a single word of criticism is incredible (and becomes worse than the original complaint to begin with). It's the same feeling I get here. I mean, some of these posts in response are really unnecessary and hypocritical in being mean and negative to someone they are accusing of being negative.

The truth is, yeah, a lot of stuff is getting outdated at WDW, or in not great repair. There are sections of the parks themselves and grounds (like the TTC) that look like remnants of the past and not current, where even signage looks outdated. We have attractions with missing, broken effects (including one where the entire selling point of the ride - EE - has been broken for a half decade, almost since it was built).

It feels like WDW is much like Disneyland was a decade ago. Running things until they have no choice but to repair, or remove, them, a focus on marketing as opposed to quality, etc. All things that are par for the course in a publicly held company these days.

But what used to set Disney apart was that they just did things different, and now they do things like everyone else. It's why Disneylanders are no longer jealous of all the great stuff at WDW, and why Universal made what are considered by most to the best rides in existence, trumping anything Disney has done in both the 00's (Spidey) and now in the 10's (Potter).

Recognizing these things does not make one a hater, or mean they do not enjoy going to WDW. While I'm the first to call "rose colored glasses", in this case the evidence is simply to overwhelming to ignore unless you are a true apologist.

Thanks AEfx - more well said than I could ever dream of doing :)

boufa

This is Saturday night live. Which cast is the best? I say it was never better than it was in the 80's. Others feel it was better a different time and that it has gone way down hill. Same debate, same reasoning, same psychology. Your earlier trips tend to set the bar for your later ones. You don't notice the problems so much when you first go down, but now we have become experts on the details. I would bet there were problems in. the glory days that simply never get complained about.

Then, what about the internet? I did not know the yeti was broken the last time I went. In fact I am convinced it wasn't. But now when I ride the ride I am going to notice it. Perhaps infuincing my idea of the ride. That is a newer factor in the issue. You might normally pick up on a couple of maintainence issues, and not think things are too bad, but thanks to forums you now know about every burned out light bulb.

KingdomofDreams

Very well said AEfx and devoy1701! I agree completely with your comments. The intelligent and objective discussion on these boards is what has always drawn me here.

Recognizing Disney's many opportunities for improvement is not being negative, it's just being realistic and imo reflects high standards and a great love for the product.

thelookingglass

I agree that the parks are looking much better these days than they were 4 or 5 years ago. Especially the Magic Kingdom, which was starting to look like the ugliest park for a while, is now becoming beautiful thanks to all the exterior refurbishments they've been doing.

But on the other hand, ride maintenance and upkeep is probably at an all-time low. No, its not just limited to the Yeti. Almost every ride has glaring maintenance issues that are not being addressed, month after month, year after year.

Rockford

Our family just got back from a 10 day trip. I thought all the parks looked better than they did 5 years ago. They were painting the Beach Club to keep the look fresh. I was actually impresses how well all the parks looked.

devoy1701

I agree that the parks are looking much better these days than they were 4 or 5 years ago. Especially the Magic Kingdom, which was starting to look like the ugliest park for a while, is now becoming beautiful thanks to all the exterior refurbishments they've been doing.

But on the other hand, ride maintenance and upkeep is probably at an all-time low. No, its not just limited to the Yeti. Almost every ride has glaring maintenance issues that are not being addressed, month after month, year after year.

Very good observation Lookingglass! Seems to me that they're doing the ole Spit n' Polish Trick but not checking under the hood. While MK has been going under extensive exterior refurbishments to make the mark look immaculate (save for the black dots of gum that speckle the walkways more frequently nowadays, it doesn't change the fact that there are many attractions/shops that need work on the inside as well.

EvilQueen-T

do you think the ride maintenance could be just lack of time? i ask because when i was growing up there were no emh or other late hours and the crews had at least 8 hours a night for upkeep. i also don't remember the rides breaking down of course like me the rides are much older now and maybe it's just like keeping an old car running. i LOVE LOVE LOVE emh but it certainly cuts down on the amount of overall time they have to keep things up. personally i'd rather see a ride close for a few weeks or whatever and have it run smoothly the rest of the time rather than constantly breaking down.

KingdomofDreams

do you think the ride maintenance could be just lack of time? i ask because when i was growing up there were no emh or other late hours and the crews had at least 8 hours a night for upkeep. i also don't remember the rides breaking down of course like me the rides are much older now and maybe it's just like keeping an old car running. i LOVE LOVE LOVE emh but it certainly cuts down on the amount of overall time they have to keep things up. personally i'd rather see a ride close for a few weeks or whatever and have it run smoothly the rest of the time rather than constantly breaking down.

If they're having trouble finding the time, or if they're having issues with a particular ride, they can always close the specific ride a bit early and open it late to allow additional time for maintenance. Disneyland is doing this. That way the ride is still online during the majority of the day, but allows for necessary maintenance attention.

devoy1701

Do you have a breakdown of how many "black dots" there are now compared to the past? I may have to cancel my trip if there are too many.:rolleyes:

Not the point. Is known fact that the sidewalks used to be scrapped every night as party of nighty maintenance and that a spec of gum that was there one afternoon would not be there the next morning. That nightly service wss one of the things cut during the end of the Eisner years...along with the changing of lights bulbs on Main Street before they burnt out.
:rolleyes:

thelookingglass

do you think the ride maintenance could be just lack of time?
Unfortunately, no (with the exception of major issues such as the Yeti which are chosen to be left in the state they are in).

The consensus seems to be that the third shift maintenance CMs (the ones who can work on special effects since the ride is closed during this time) only do the required safety checks and replacements but sleep or sit around instead of fixing anything that is not required - IE basically all special effects.

That or funding - not enough $$$ given for proper upkeep.

wolf359

Is your opinion based on actually seeing the parks lately, or just reading the forums?

I ask only because I didn't notice these glaring issues you speak of, and I'm curious what I clearly missed on "almost every ride." I visit the forums every day and being a constant reader gives a very skewed perspective of the parks that was completely different than my actual visit last month.

In fact, of my visits over the last five years I saw more working effects, heard more clear sound, and noticed a dramatic improvement in cleanliness and efficiency resort-wide on my visit last month.

Though it's not that I doubt folks that report problems, but if an effect or whatnot has an issue one day and it's fixed the next, that doesn't tell me that maintenance and upkeep is being ignored, in fact just the opposite.

And I'm not saying things were perfect, there are still plenty of issues that need to be addressed, but I think it is important to keep the pressure specific to the problems that still exist instead of making sweeping generalizations based on second/third/fourth hand information.

What I wonder is how many people don't bother taking the time to point out issues to Cast Members, visit Guest Services every day of their vacation, or write a letter to Walt Disney World when they return because they're in too big of a hurry to post here about lightbulbs out and gum on the sidewalk?

mrsdanalind

fresher parks

I haven't seen the parks looking as fresh and clean and well maintained as they were on my visit last month since 1996. Yes, there are still some glaring issues but the discussion of them has been repeated so often on these boards they've overshadowed the positives. The parks do not look anywhere near as tired as they did five or six years ago, but it's only when the discussion is about the faults that make for long memorable threads.

I noticed that the parks have been improved in the past couple of years. I wrote Disney Corporate a few years ago and let them know that I could be spending my money other places that in a park that was dirty and run down. We've gone for over 20 years and that it was not as good as it should have been or as good as I have seen it in the past. Since then I've noticed that the parks are now cleaner and that the entire WDW resort area is looking much better now, and as a former CM I am pleased to see it improving with each visit.

fngoofy

In the past 10 years I have noticed cutbacks and downscales in the Disney parks. What I dont get is if they cant afford to keep the parks up and have them as good as they were in the 80's and 90's then how do they afford to build these new resorts and renovate the existing ones? I also want to know why there expanding the resorts, expanding the Magic Kingdom and the prices are being jacked up? they must be making more money and getting more guests.

I'm calling shenanigans on the "better in the 80s & 90s" & "cutbacks and downscales" basis for your argument.
1. The company was so poorly run in the early 80s that they where almost the victim of a hostile takeover. We could be talking about WDW, brought to you by RJR Nabisco "Smoke up and eat a cracker."

2. If you want to look at a bad time, the late 90s, early 2000s where probably the worst for maintenance and upkeep. Now things shine and they seem to be consistent with upkeep, as can be seen by the steady refurbishment of almost every building in MK.

3. I never have understood "cutbacks and downscales." There are extra magic hours, halloween events, xmas on a scale never dreamed of back in the 80s, and more attractions than ever before. The dining is better and more varied than in the past, and there are great resorts to choose from.

I will grant you that the merchandise is more generic and the same things can be found in most shops. However I always seem to score a unique shirt or item on each trip that I find in one store and nowhere else. So hey, I'm not that bent out of shape.

Remember, there's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I'm calling shenanigans on the "better in the 80s & 90s" & "cutbacks and downscales" basis for your argument.
1. The company was so poorly run in the early 80s that they where almost the victim of a hostile takeover. We could be talking about WDW, brought to you by RJR Nabisco "Smoke up and eat a cracker."

2. If you want to look at a bad time, the late 90s, early 2000s where probably the worst for maintenance and upkeep. Now things shine and they seem to be consistent with upkeep, as can be seen by the steady refurbishment of almost every building in MK.

3. I never have understood "cutbacks and downscales." There are extra magic hours, halloween events, xmas on a scale never dreamed of back in the 80s, and more attractions than ever before. The dining is better and more varied than in the past, and there are great resorts to choose from.

I will grant you that the merchandise is more generic and the same things can be found in most shops. However I always seem to score a unique shirt or item on each trip that I find in one store and nowhere else. So hey, I'm not that bent out of shape.

Remember, there's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day.

You are right, and the parks are still recovering from the neglect they have put up with. They cant fix all the damage over night. I think Epcot is heading back in a better direction and I have noticed some improvements thruout the years. I still remember the parks in the early 90's and how nice they were. In 2004 I really noticed the neglect and downscales. I also remember within 2004-2005 I have never seen so many crabby cast members. I was so disaponted and I thought it was downhill from there. But I have to say I see potential now.

EvilQueen-T

Unfortunately, no (with the exception of major issues such as the Yeti which are chosen to be left in the state they are in).

The consensus seems to be that the third shift maintenance CMs (the ones who can work on special effects since the ride is closed during this time) only do the required safety checks and replacements but sleep or sit around instead of fixing anything that is not required - IE basically all special effects.

That or funding - not enough $$$ given for proper upkeep.

sad with the prices we pay for everything to not provide the proper funding but if it's just poor supervising and general apathy from workers that just stinks...i wonder what would happen if we all did our jobs that way??? i'm a nurse practitioner in urgent care...i'm just imagining the consequences if i could be that lazy at work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom