Can/should/will they fix Kali's splash?

JIMINYCR

No.... thats the fun of the ride, the unknown of how much of a dousing you ae going to get, and whose going to get it the worst. It's a water ride, you know what you are in for, so if you are concerned that you may get too wet... dont ride, sit out on the side and watch. I'd actually like to see the end of the ride end with a total blasting of water so everyone gets off soaked.

raven

Here's my preference: When Avatar opens in 2017, they should close Kali for refurbishment. Extend the course and fix the splash. Guest traffic will be redirected to Avatar anyway so it wouldn't hurt to close this during that time.

The splash is working the way it was designed to work. It isn't broken.

I believe they are waiting to fix E:E when Avatar opens. They can't close that ride to fix it for an extended period of time at this point because it is a huge draw for the park. But once Avatar opens you may see E:E close for rehab...for the first time.

jlsHouston

I'm actually one of those riders that skip this ride because I don't want to get soaked. I would really like to ride this again, but don't want to be extremely wet at the end. Instead, I go through the queue and enjoy the details. Should they change the ride to accommodate people like me, no. (I'm not going to be able to go on every ride; just like people can't ride Everest because it goes backwards.) Ultimately, one day I just need to plan ahead to change afterwards, and take the plunge.

I am with you on avoiding this ride because of the soaking, I rode it once in 2012 and haven't since. It literally soaked me and my phone cratered. Only time I ever broke a phone.

IMFearless

I think with Kali it is the sheer amount of water that people don't quite expect.

I have to say I find it highly amusing, in a sick kind of way, if people literally get soaked with a tidal wave at the bottom of that waterfall and they're not expecting it. - Usually it is me who is on that side however!

I think if they took that element of the ride away it would make it short, but completely pointless, as opposed to just short.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
one should issue the fannies with big water proof ponchos that say Im a fannie, or they could simple take their lame erses somewhere else. no offence like.

JohnD

The splash is working the way it was designed to work. It isn't broken.

I believe they are waiting to fix E:E when Avatar opens. They can't close that ride to fix it for an extended period of time at this point because it is a huge draw for the park. But once Avatar opens you may see E:E close for rehab...for the first time.

Well, whatever they want to do with the splash. Chiming in with a response to the OP.

Brad Bishop

If one doesn't want to get soaked, one shouldn't ride Kali. I've been equally soaked on both Kali and Grizzly.

When the raft rides first appeared they made sure you got soaked. If you didn't get it in the rapids then they'd typically have a waterfall that you'd go directly under which made sure that anyone who was missed still got soaked.

...and people complained about getting wet on a water ride specifically designed to get you wet (Ugh).

Now the rides have been toned down to where you normally will just get a little splash and that's it. Sometimes you take a good splash but most of the time you just get a few droplets.

The only one I think is actually worth riding these days is Bluto's Barge Rat (or whatever it's called) at IoA. That one is very much like how they used to be.

bethymouse

KRR really would be no fun if you didn't get soaked. Usually 2 of us in our party get soaked and 2 of us don't, so we make a bet out of it!:)

Chef Mickey

Unfortunately, I can't ride it because getting soaked is a deal breaker for me. I got soaked the first time I rode it and never again.

I do think they should change that, but I'm not sure how.

Goofyernmost

Here's the secret, be very petite or at least the smallest on the raft and you will not get wet. If you notice, the heaviest part of the raft is the section that gets the most splash. As you start down the incline, gravity turns the raft in the forward direction of the heaviest section (since a round raft has no front or back). That puts the entry point the point with the deepest penetration in the pool below splashing the water up and over that part. You can try and get in the section of the raft with the smaller folk, otherwise it's the luck of the draw. On a hot day in Florida, it's refreshing anyway and your clothing will dry quickly so it really isn't a big problem (unless you are wearing white and forgot your underwear). :jawdrop::joyfull:

One hint though, make sure that you put your feet up on that little foot bar or you will be 'squashing' around for most of the day. Don't ask me how I know that!

raven

Here's the secret, be very petite or at least the smallest on the raft and you will not get wet. If you notice, the heaviest part of the raft is the section that gets the most splash. As you start down the incline, gravity turns the raft in the forward direction of the heaviest section (since a round raft has no front or back). That puts the entry point the point with the deepest penetration in the pool below splashing the water up and over that part. You can try and get in the section of the raft with the smaller folk, otherwise it's the luck of the draw. On a hot day in Florida, it's refreshing anyway and your clothing will dry quickly so it really isn't a big problem (unless you are wearing white and forgot your underwear). :jawdrop::joyfull:

One hint though, make sure that you put your feet up on that little foot bar or you will be 'squashing' around for most of the day. Don't ask me how I know that!

Being that the drop is only a few short seconds, this theory doesn't work. The boat often doesn't have enough time to turn around to the heaviest section. We went on with only 3 people (we all sat together) and the empty section hit the big wave at the bottom of the hill. It really just depends on how your boat rotates as it's hitting the sides of the river in different areas.

But I do agree about keeping your feet on the bars. And it's a bit funny how I thought of using the middle section to add a cover to protect belongings years before the ride was built. Then to my surprise when it opened....there it was. :banghead:

NYBaloo

The husband and I are both bigger guys and I do agree with the theory that the heaviest side of the raft goes down the hill first...happens every time for us. There we are looking at the river and the next thing you know, the raft moves around and backwards we go, only to be drenched! Now I don't mind getting wet, except for my shorts, that I don't like. So I now ride wearing my handy poncho and that helps a lot. I also agree that taking a large ziploc bag for your phone and wallet is a must! Plus I can put my wet poncho in it afterwards and back into my cargo shorts pocket.

Disney.Mike

My God... its a river rapids ride and people act like it needs to be "fixed" because you may get wet?

Maybe we should fix missions space because it simulates G-forces or RnRC because it accelerates to fast...

Personally I think Kali is far to tame for what it is... it could be twice as long, intense, and wet and still be considered a fairly tame, family friendly ride.

Marc Davis Fan

Original Poster
My God... its a river rapids ride and people act like it needs to be "fixed" because you may get wet?

Maybe we should fix missions space because it simulates G-forces or RnRC because it accelerates to fast...

Personally I think Kali is far to tame for what it is... it could be twice as long, intense, and wet and still be considered a fairly tame, family friendly ride.

I think most of us would agree that Kali is very tame and very brief. Those are different characteristics from the one in question, about whether it would be a better overall ride if people got splashed at the bottom of the drop without getting completely soaked. That question is the one with the actual split opinions (some people like the opportunity to get completely drenched, while many others apparently skip the ride because they don't want to walk around in soaked clothes, etc).

Last edited:

danyoung56

I wouldn't say that it's in any way broken right now. But I'm one of those who will usually skip this ride because of the extreme dunking. I don't mind a bit of a splash, but I don't want to be jump-in-the-pool soaked.

GVentola

A couple of people mentioned the ride getting a Jungle Book overlay. That would be preferable to its preachy, deforestation theme right now. Who pays attention to a back story with a moral when one is worried about going down a hill and getting soaked?

I didn't get soaked the first time I rode it, but have been in the wrong spot every time since then. I hate to think it's because I'm fat! At first, when I read this thread, I was thinking changing the splash at the bottom of the hill would be good, but getting wet IS part of the appeal of the ride, as many pointed out. So change the back story, but not the level of soaking.

Once I went on in the pouring rain, and got totally and utterly soaked. And my clothes didn't dry off in the Florida sun, because, as I said, it was raining! Ugh, that was miserable.

DarthMileZ

I'm more surprised about the state of the boats. I was there a few days ago and the bars you hold onto were in a terrible state. Need re painting. My seat was ripped too and the bars were sticky (so gross)

Could have just been the one boat

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom