Can/should/will they fix Kali's splash?

Marc Davis Fan

Original Poster
Many guests seem to be put off by the extreme soaking that Kali River Rapids riders can receive. Would the attraction provide a better experience overall if Disney altered the boats and/or the water flow so as to reduce the amount of water that hits the "front row" guests at the bottom of the drop? The average level of wetness on Grizzly River Run, for example, seems to work quite well (note that those are structually different boats, however). And would it be possible/feasible to make a change to this end (without, say, the high cost and lengthy downtime associated with something like re-profiling the drop)?

Siren

I have *never* gotten soaked on Kali -- just barely splashed. But, I cannot wait to ride Kali at night because it's going to be *so* scary in the dark. I think most of the water comes from the waterfall above but the drop is bad, too. I feel so bad for people that get soaked. I have been fortunate so far.

With that said, I have already suggested that the Jungle Book Theme be applied to Kali River Rapids. With giant aminatronics like this one at :Shanghai Disney.

ftoktk.jpg

Disney can use King Louie instead and he can take a huge swipe at guests as they pass by -- just like the Yeti except better. And, Disney can add some voice dialogue and music from the Jungle Book, too.

raven

I've gotten completely soaked on Kali and other times just a splash or two. But it IS a river rapids ride designed to get people wet. DAK is, IMO, probably the hottest park in the Disney Parks corporation. The lush tree cover is great for shade but it also blocks any breeze from blowing and cooling guests down. So the humidity and heat seems to be more intense at DAK for me than any other park. That water ride is much needed!

JohnD

Any time we go to AK I will wear a breathable shirt and a bathing suit. I expect to get wet and it is fine by me. I even carry a gallon size ziplock to put my wallet and phone in so they don't get soaked.

On a trip in November, I forgot to bring a poncho. My plan was to hop to HS in the evening for the Osborne Lights. You can guess what happened: Yep, I went on Kali and got soaked. I was miserable. Obviously, I had to go back to the resort first to shower and change. I was wet, cold, and miserable.

Marc Davis Fan

Original Poster
By analogy, imagine if Splash ridership were limited only to people who were willing to get soaked. That would be a shame.

On the other hand, I suppose the difference here is that Kali is not an E, so people aren't missing as much by skipping it (though it's notable that they're still missing one of the park's small number of rides). Plus, one could argue that unlike other water rides, part of the experience of a rapids ride is knowing there's a chance of being soaked. So, I can see both sides.

FigmentPigments

I'm actually one of those riders that skip this ride because I don't want to get soaked. I would really like to ride this again, but don't want to be extremely wet at the end. Instead, I go through the queue and enjoy the details. Should they change the ride to accommodate people like me, no. (I'm not going to be able to go on every ride; just like people can't ride Everest because it goes backwards.) Ultimately, one day I just need to plan ahead to change afterwards, and take the plunge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom