Can Rock Turn Around the Blues for Disney Park?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster

ANAHEIM (Orange County Register) -- When Mike Love first strolled through Disney's California Adventure, he heard instrumental versions of Beach Boys songs he had written playing over a loudspeaker: "California Girls," "Good Vibrations," "Surfin'." "How nice of them,'' he thought, "to build a theme park around our music.'' He was kidding, but The Beach Boys' lead singer for the past 40 years was definitely struck by how well those popular '60s tunes fit with the theme of the park, from the Boardwalk to Avalon Cove. The Beach Boys will re-turn this summer to Paradise Bay to launch a six-week, 16-band summer concert series at California Adven-ture called "Disney's Rockin' the Bay.'' From July 13 to Aug. 20, there will be two performances each afternoon as part of regular admission. Disney has a history of bringing name entertainers to its parks, from Duke Elling-ton to Roy Orbison to Alabama through the '60s and '70s. This will be the first concert series at California Ad-venture, which opened last year and hasn't performed well. Disney is counting on added values such as the concert series, "park hopper" passes and annual passes. California Adventure has yet to generate the num-bers Disney anticipated. The park drew about 5 million visitors in 11 months, behind the pace of 7 million that Disney had estimated for its first year. While Disneyland appears to have recovered since Sept. 11, the num-bers at California Adventure are lower on many days than they were a year ago. California Adventure ranked as the 10th-most-popular theme park in North America in 2001, and Disney officials believe the numbers will grow as they educate tourists about the California theme. The Beach Boys are part of that promotion. Love said the one-hour shows will be themed, with one devoted to the group's surf music and the other to Califor-nia's fascination with fast cars.

Lhriangel

Okay I absolutely LOVE the Beach Boys but because I am in central california and I don't think I can convince Dad that after he gets back from 2 weeks in Missouri (he gets back the 13th) that we have to go to DL on the 14th... I"m not going to get to see them. *sighs a little* :( :(. Someone has to tell me how it goes....

Lhriangel

Have you been to DCA?

I've been there and I love it. In my opinion it is not a mistake. It's just a work in progress, like Disneyland, that needs to be added to, etc. Saying that it is just "a mistake" is very pessimistic and not giving it a chance.

TravisMT81

I think all the areas have potential except Paradise pier. That is the only thing that I think is a major mistake. The rest of the park has potential.

It just not well planned at all. It is like putting a trailor park beside a planned community.

pheneix

No, saying it is a "mistake" is a pretty accurate observation. In fact, it is probably an understatement. Their daily attendance this summer is a complete disaster, and the concert series probably won't help (there are a few bands that will bring up attendance for the day, but most of the bands they have lined up are has beens that will only entertain the APs).

Lhriangel

It is brand new, give it time to redeam itsself. I personallly love the park. They could do more with the winery section I believe though (I think a food and wine festival here would add alot. California has so many different cultures that it wouldn't be a strech as well. There are asian, mexican, Indian as well as different foods that are special to different parts of california. (Sunmaid could sponser the central valley and the raisuns ... and if you know anything about sunmaid you know they have recipes enough for an entire meal I used to go to the special lunches they had for members every year) all that is needed is creativity!)and they are adding more things *yay*. Paradise Pier is actually well designed for what it is. It reminds me like the Santa Monica Pier or more adequate like Santa Cruz which is what it is supposed to do. But it adds the Disney touch (see the carousel. :) I love that carousel).

But saying that the park is horrible is your OWN opinion. You can think that but let other people decide for themselves. Besides.. I think Blast! is worth the price of admission, as well as Soarin'.

raisun

First comment, in regards to the concert series. It is very unlikely that it will have the desired effect. First of all, there are only a few bands on that list that I would consider "draws." I'm sorry, but I don't see many people going to DCA just to see Chubby Checker do the "Twist." Though, I must admit a strange desire to go see the Village People for a good laugh :). The other problem that they have (and this I think is the bigger problem) is the concert times. I believe the schedule I saw said 3:30 and 5:30 pm. Ok, HELLO....they built the stage on the lagoon, and are using the amplitheatre for seating. Now if you know that area, and the weather we have been having here the last week, its going to be HOT and there will be no shade, and the many people will be facing the sun....some how that doesn't appeal to me.

On the topic of DCA in general, I think DCA is a good park, especially if you compare it to the theme park industry as a whole. It may not be what we expect from Disney, but give it a chance. I was at DCA yesterday with a friend who is active in ACE (a rollorcoaster enthusiast group)...He was at DCA a couple weeks ago with some of his friends from the group who don't frequent Disney parks as much as other parks, and the LOVED DCA. In fact, I think the words "one of the best parks I've been to in California" was used. Just a different frame of reference. And I tend to agree that in that context, DCA is a good park; can be better...but just give it a little time

pheneix

>>>You can think that but let other people decide for themselves.<<<

You mean the others that aren't showing up? I just read today that DCA had only 15,000 people show up for July 4th, which is only slightly better than any normal summer day at DCA. That is absolutely terrible, considering that it was supposed to get half the attendance of Disneyland (Al reported in the DIG update that DL got 56,000).

>>>I think Blast! is worth the price of admission<<<

Blast! is an excellent show, but it will be history after this year. Hopefully it will return to Epcot next year.

raisun

Originally posted by pheneix
You mean the others that aren't showing up? I just read today that DCA had only 15,000 people show up for July 4th, which is only slightly better than any normal summer day at DCA. That is absolutely terrible, considering that it was supposed to get half the attendance of Disneyland (Al reported in the DIG update that DL got 56,000).

Lets not get into a discussion about attendance numbers, especially when they come from Al. Now, I agree DCA is not doing well attendance-wise as compared to DL...but I would not expect it to be doing as well. If you use 4th of July specifically...did DCA have a fireworks show...No. So if I could only go to one park on the 4th, I'd go to DL so that I could see the fireworks. If I was in the parks multiple days, I would be able to park hop...and then how do you count attendance as being DL specific vs DCA specific? Besides...I didn't think the resort release official numbers.

pheneix

>>>Lets not get into a discussion about attendance numbers, especially when they come from Al.<<<

That is true, but Al was suprisingly accurate in his update. I have heard from other people that July 4th was no different than any other day, and Al's numbers reflect that.

But regardless, DCA is performing terribly this summer, to the point that it is becoming a financial situation (somebody estimated that DCA's break-even point is 11,000-ish, and until the summer season started, DCA's average attendance was well below that). If you could use July 4th as a barometer for attendance at the resort, then DCA is pulling roughly 30% of Disneyland's numbers. Now, Disney was banking on DCA pulling in half of Disneyland's numbers when the park was under construction. Assuming that Disneyland's numbers hold steady this year at 12.6 million (and that is a stretch), DCA should get 6.3 million to meet Disney's original expectations (and what DCA was built to achieve). Unfortunately, it looks like it is only getting 30% of Disneyland's attendance, which puts it in at getting only 3.8 million this year. I think that number is a little low, so for a final guess, I'm willing to bet that DCA will be in the 4.1-4.5 million range, probably falling below Universal Studios Hollywood on the top ten chart. Scary...

And besides, using your example of not having fireworks at DCA well, whose fault is that? Disney should still be held accountable for blowing another opportunity to boost attendance and to make guests happy.

raisun

Oh, I certainly place management to blame for the problems that DCA is having. Just look at the scheduling for the concert series...but I don't believe DCA is a joke...it just needs time, and some money pumped into it...I think we just need to really give it some time and see if Cynthia can turn it around. And since Disney is a big ship...it may take a lot of energy to get it turned around to where it needs to be...but I bet it can, and will be done eventually.

goofyguy

Originally posted by mktiggerman

I think the real question that needs to be asked here is why can't Rock beat Paper? I mean, if it can beat Scissors, paper should be no problem. Somebody ... please tell me why!

pheneix

>>>I think we just need to really give it some time and see if Cynthia can turn it around.<<<

Don't hold your breath, because she is not much better than anyone else in management.

CalDisney

Originally posted by pheneix
>>>I think we just need to really give it some time and see if Cynthia can turn it around.<<<

Don't hold your breath, because she is not much better than anyone else in management.
Well I think she is Trying to Get things in order
I bet when Disneyland 1st opened there were People who Doubted it just like you!!
And Look !! Disneyland is Now 47 years old and Still Going Strong!!:):):)

Do you work for the Parks??
Do you ever have Anything Nice to Post??
or Do you Love to Be Negative?
Ohh Well You WONT Spoil It for Me !!!

I enjoy Both Parks
They are both Special in their own ways
I cant wait Till Fliks Fun Fair Opens..

Let me Guess!! You are a Annual Passholder that Likes To Complain..
thats to bad.:hammer:

TravisMT81

I am sorry you find his comments negative. Though some people are very passionate about ther Walt Disney Company and hate to see the condition it is in. Some of us don;t wear rose colored glasses. I personally feel that current management is ruining the legacy of Walt Disney.

CalDisney

Well ....
I try to stay Positive .. I mean with all that is going on in this world these days.
I know there are things that have changed.
But!
What are we going to do??
Do you or I have a say In
what they do at the Parks??
we can leave comments ,, But It`s up to Miss Harris
and Eisner.
Just Enjoy the Parks While we have them.:)
Thats what My mom allways told me.
You see the city of Long Beach Calif.
Tore her Park down To put up Condo`s ,She grew up going to the Pike every weekend.
she didnt want to see that happen to Disneyland.
As Im sure many people dont.
Have you ever seen 3`s Company?
in the opening shot that was my moms Park on the Boardwalk.:veryconfu
Anyways ..
Lets Hope they can keep all the Disney Parks Going for a Looooong Time:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom