Pre-Trip Can I Return These Shoes? They Hurt My Feet. - A September 2018 Pre-Trip Report

"Can I Return These Shoes? They Hurt My Feet."

Yes – Those were the words my husband uttered as we were unpacking from our last trip. If you have no idea what I’m talking about you obviously need to go back and read my last TR…

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/hurricanes-foot-pains-and-“what-the-crocs-just-happened-”-anniversary-tale-–-a-sept-irma-2017-tr-completed.934251/

Of course the shoe drama didn’t happen until day 15.

If you are all caught up and you are still willing to read on and join us again for as @blgauger says, “Ross’ Shenanigans”, well then, please read on.

Just in case you don’t know our crazy family… Here we are…

Me: Mary – I am a high school English teacher turned homeschool and blogger mom. (Although I am SO BAD at updating my web page.) I have always been a Disney fan and love all things Disney.

IMG_0632.JPG

My hubby: Ross – my nutty, “frugal” husband who always seems to add some drama to our trip. He drives me crazy, but he is the hardest working guy I know who makes a lot of sacrifices so we can go on these trips.

Julia – my now sweet 16 daughter who I hope never grows out of going to Disney with her family. Although college seems to be getting in the way of our most loved September trip. (BTW, She usually doesn’t dress all in black. This was her costume from the production of “Much Ado About Nothing” our homeschool group put on. She was backstage & props.) She’s had a tough year with some health issues that are thankfully working out okay – so that’s definitely something I will be celebrating this year.

IMG_0153.jpg

Hope – my 9 year old daughter who is boycotting all omnimover rides. She is Autistic and the reason why I started writing TR’s. So many people told me I was crazy for taking a kid with so many “issues” to Disney that I really wanted to highlight the positives and show how successful a trip to Disney with a special needs kid could be. Sadly, this will be her last year as a “kid”. Next year, she will age into a Disney “adult”.

IMG_0567.jpg

And of course, here are the shoes of contention…

IMG_0729.JPG

Here we all are at Great Wolf Lodge (except for the Crocs). We went for the first time this year with our homeschool group that managed to get an AWESOME rate.

IMG_0472.JPG

So yes, as the TR title states, Ross has decided that he wants to see if he can return the Crocs he purchased last year. He figures since he barely wore them and the fact they hurt his feet so much, that it is a reasonable request. I will bring to your attention that Ross and the word “reasonable” sometimes rarely go together. Nonetheless, he is on a mission and firmly believes he has a good case.

Now I spent 15 years in retail management and some of the WORST memories I have are the people who would present me with a pair of jeans to return with nasty stains, ripped bottoms and no tags - and yet swear that, “I’ve never worn them.” So thinking about my husband trying to return his less than loved Crocs is not sitting well with me.

At first I wasn’t too concerned. I thought for sure he would long forget about them as the year went on. He even managed to purchase another pair of sandals that he likes almost as much as the ones Julia stepped on. (I forced him to buy a second pair of them – just in case.) He has also learned to walk a few steps to the side of Julia.

However, when he bought his new shoes a few months after we returned home, he brought up the topic again. Then, as I sat down at our 180 mark to make our ADR’s, he again reminded me of the Crocs, now covered with dust in his closet, and announced he planned on trying to return them. Seriously? Even in the depths of our North East winter as he came in after shoveling snow, his mind returned to those lonely Crocs as he mentioned his hopes that Disney would take them back and give him a merchandise credit.

So here we are, into double digits and quickly approaching our 60 day FP+ date, and he is NOT forgetting about the those Crocs.

These are becoming desperate times. I am now on a mission to “misplace” the Crocs before our September journey. Will I succeed? I don’t know. But if I do not, I made it clear that I am not having anything to do with this craziness. I am not packing them, carrying them or walking with him into the store if he does attempt to make this transaction. I don’t even want to hear about them. He is on his own with this endeavor. Will he actually go through with it? Your guess is as good as mine. But I promise I will document the tale for all of you… because let’s be honest, how else would anyone believe me?

Last edited:

Figment Forever

Original Poster
We are now into single digits - 8 days to go!!

I am frantically trying to get ready and pack. I have 2 out 3 checked suitcases ready to go with the last one needing only our shorts which will have to go in last since we are having a heat wave here in NY. I am working on our carry-ons today. I'm trying to take the least amount possible on the plane with us, but I seem to have a massive amount of stuff that doesn't want to fit in our checked bags.

I also remembered to pack...

IMG_1816-1.JPG
IMG_1814-1.JPG

Yes - that is the extra book I purchased last year and forgot to bring our first day in the park. It is safely tucked away in one of our carry-ons so hopefully, I will not forget it again.

Now, if I can only get my house cleaned before we leave!

djpoore94

I'm way late to the party, but after reading the Crocs drama (I also am not a fan, though I do have a pair. They're mostly worn to run to the mailbox, or out in the garage when I don't want to just go barefoot), both in the last TR, and here, I have to share my experience with taking an item back to WDW. I went on a solo trip the week after Thanksgiving in 2015. I bought DH a nice jacket that has the WDW logo in the area where a "breast pocket" would be. Well, said logo was an iron on type of thing. After he wore it some that winter and the next spring the logo started to fall off. We didn't go to Disney at all in 2016, but when we went back in May 2017 he took the jacket with him. I was shocked to find that they were actually still selling the jacket at WOD so we took the defective one with us there. I don't remember for certain, but I'm pretty positive that we didn't have the receipt (after I reconcile my room charges, and then my credit card statement I usually don't see a need to keep them). We were lucky that they actually had his size in stock so he showed them the defective one. A manager had to be consulted, but he happily agreed to exchange the jacket. Now, we were just looking to exchange, not return, but a year and a half had gone by, and we had no receipt, so I was extremely happy. Good luck to Ross with the painful Crocs, and I can't wait to read about your adventures in the next TR!

MotherofaPrincessLover

I know you guys do 4H - what projects do you do? We've been in 4H the past 3 years (Cloverbuds) and are planning on getting a little more involved next year. My daughter is wanting to show a rabbit :oops: I have no idea how to do that so need to learn.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
I'm way late to the party, but after reading the Crocs drama (I also am not a fan, though I do have a pair. They're mostly worn to run to the mailbox, or out in the garage when I don't want to just go barefoot), both in the last TR, and here, I have to share my experience with taking an item back to WDW. I went on a solo trip the week after Thanksgiving in 2015. I bought DH a nice jacket that has the WDW logo in the area where a "breast pocket" would be. Well, said logo was an iron on type of thing. After he wore it some that winter and the next spring the logo started to fall off. We didn't go to Disney at all in 2016, but when we went back in May 2017 he took the jacket with him. I was shocked to find that they were actually still selling the jacket at WOD so we took the defective one with us there. I don't remember for certain, but I'm pretty positive that we didn't have the receipt (after I reconcile my room charges, and then my credit card statement I usually don't see a need to keep them). We were lucky that they actually had his size in stock so he showed them the defective one. A manager had to be consulted, but he happily agreed to exchange the jacket. Now, we were just looking to exchange, not return, but a year and a half had gone by, and we had no receipt, so I was extremely happy. Good luck to Ross with the painful Crocs, and I can't wait to read about your adventures in the next TR!

Ross appreciates all the encouragement. I'm still cringing at the thought of it. lol It's funny because Hope announced that her Disney Crocs now also hurt her feet - because they are now too small. So as Ross looks forward to returning his, Miss Hope is planning to purchase a brand new pair!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
We leave next Thursday! I haven't even started packing, because like you said HEAT WAVE!!! I barely have enough clothes for summer as it is, I certainly cannot pack ahead of time! Getting so excited!

Can you believe we're almost there!?! The heat doesn't seem to be letting up so the last suitcase will be waiting for our shorts to go in on Wednesday! lol

Figment Forever

Original Poster
I know you guys do 4H - what projects do you do? We've been in 4H the past 3 years (Cloverbuds) and are planning on getting a little more involved next year. My daughter is wanting to show a rabbit :oops: I have no idea how to do that so need to learn.

We have loved our journey with 4-H. Julia always wanted to show rabbits, but we have never done the animal science/animals part of the program. Although many of our friends do. Her best friend just got a calf for her sweet sixteen! lol Julia is very involved with the STEM program. We have done everything from making a lamp, tye dye tees, all the national science experiments and well as First Lego League Robotics. She also sits on our county's program committee and does various community service projects through the year. She is also in charge of our video yearbook production. She used to be very involved in the cooking program, but alas, she has hung up her apron. This year, 6 of her projects advanced to state - her animation binder, 2 of her coding projects, a digital art picture and 2 photographs. It's a very time consuming, but I think its helped her gain so many leadership qualities.

You should find your local 4-H educator and he/she should be able to get you connected with a rabbit club and then they should be able to teach her (and you) everything she needs to know. Good Luck!!!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
So here we are... 5 DAYS TO GO!!!!

My laundry is done. (For now.) My bags are mostly packed and set to go. Still need to clean the house. :banghead:

We returned fromState Fair safe and sound - Hope did fantastic. Well except for the one day she ran half naked through the girls dorm on her way to the bathroom, but oh well... :hilarious:

Julia worked at our county booth everyday and hung out mostly with her friends at night - so that was really weird. My little girl seems so grown up! :cry: So Hope and I were buddies and we all managed to find some time together to hang out.

IMG_1824.JPG
IMG_1846.JPG
IMG_1848.jpg
IMG_1961.jpg
IMG_2008.JPG
IMG_2017.JPG

As we were going through he fine arts & crafts building, look what someone entered as a project. I thought it was so cool!!

IMG_1866.JPG

Figment Forever

Original Poster
1 Day to go... WE LEAVE TOMORROW!!

Everything is packed. I almost broke down and purchased an extra bag to check in when I checked in for my flight. I didn't, so I'm hoping that nothing goes over the weight limit and the girls and I can handle all our carry-on stuff without too much difficulty.

We are all so excited! The girls have a dentist appointment this morning and then I am going to get my nails done. I'm hoping to be asleep early tonight so I can get a few hours of rest before travel day. I can NEVER sleep on the plane.

I can't believe our trip is here!!!!!

LMSB

Everything is packed. I almost broke down and purchased an extra bag to check in when I checked in for my flight. I didn't, so I'm hoping that nothing goes over the weight limit and the girls and I can handle all our carry-on stuff without too much difficulty.

We are all so excited! The girls have a dentist appointment this morning and then I am going to get my nails done. I'm hoping to be asleep early tonight so I can get a few hours of rest before travel day. I can NEVER sleep on the plane.

Yay!! Have a wonderful trip -- excited for you & the family!! Can't wait to hear all about it :)

riverside

I hope you all have a great time!! I'll be keeping an eye out for you on the 19th!!

Brwneyedgirl72

Have a wonderful time!! I can't wait to hear how Ross does with his Crocs. ;) I've made some last minute plans and will be heading up to Orlando this weekend (benefit of being a Floridian and a pass-holder) - so will keep my eyes peeled for you and the girls!

MotherofaPrincessLover

We have loved our journey with 4-H. Julia always wanted to show rabbits, but we have never done the animal science/animals part of the program. Although many of our friends do. Her best friend just got a calf for her sweet sixteen! lol Julia is very involved with the STEM program. We have done everything from making a lamp, tye dye tees, all the national science experiments and well as First Lego League Robotics. She also sits on our county's program committee and does various community service projects through the year. She is also in charge of our video yearbook production. She used to be very involved in the cooking program, but alas, she has hung up her apron. This year, 6 of her projects advanced to state - her animation binder, 2 of her coding projects, a digital art picture and 2 photographs. It's a very time consuming, but I think its helped her gain so many leadership qualities.

You should find your local 4-H educator and he/she should be able to get you connected with a rabbit club and then they should be able to teach her (and you) everything she needs to know. Good Luck!!!
I'm actually meeting with someone today to learn more about the rabbit stuff. Then I guess getting the rabbit and keeping it alive will be the next step ;) Actually, I already have a rabbit so I know I can keep them alive.

I hope you guys have an amazing trip and I can't wait to read your trip report. This time last year I was getting ready to go on a trip but I'm not going until January this time :cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom