Can I resort hop to Shades of Green?

R W B

Original Poster
I know only military and DOD can stay at Shades of Green but can I catch a bus from a park to go see it? They wouldn't let us drive in back in February.

Jahona

Easiest bet is to either catch a bus from one of the parks to Poly and walk over. It's about an 8-10 minute walk up the pathway. You can try catching the shades of green bus at the TTC, HWS, or AK, but if you miss one it can be a long wait till the next.

Jahona

You cannot catch a bus to SOG. It has exclusive buses to that resort only and they check for military or resort ID upon Boarding

Huh either I got lucky or it's changed since I visited the resort in 2014. I went up twice to SoG, once via the TTC bus and once walking from the Poly, to check out the resort for my sister who was looking to stay there. I guess the walk from the Poly is the only way in now.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Huh either I got lucky or it's changed since I visited the resort in 2014. I went up twice to SoG, once via the TTC bus and once walking from the Poly, to check out the resort for my sister who was looking to stay there. I guess the walk from the Poly is the only way in now.
I believe they've cracked down. Only once did we not get asked but that driver had driven us a few times before during last summer's trip

Dr.GrantSeeker

Also always been very curious about SoG. I know they are Military and DoD. I golf there often when I am at Disney, but have never been inside. Do they have a restaurant and is it only for resort guests?

floridagirl57

When I was there in January, we were given 4 "ID cards" for the members of our party and were supposed to have these on hand, these also served as ID for getting on the buses. Nobody ever asked to see my resort ID though.

Jahona

There is a restaurant on site, Mangino's Bistro. I don't know if you have to be a resort guest to dine there.

a2grafix

Also always been very curious about SoG. I know they are Military and DoD. I golf there often when I am at Disney, but have never been inside. Do they have a restaurant and is it only for resort guests?

Shades of Green (i.e. http://www.shadesofgreen.org) has THREE sit down restaurants. The first one is an Italian-style restaurant that was mentioned above -- Mangino's Bistro -- that serves only dinner from 1700 - 2200 (5-9pm) . It's a really nice casual, fancyish Italian kitchen. Really great food and drink. They also have special food nights from time to time like clambakes, shrimpfests, and surf and turf nights.

The second restaurant is called the Garden Gallery and it's a buffet-style restaurant. They have an awesome breakfast buffet and in the evenings they have themed nights like make your own pizza. Next to one of the pools is Evergreen's Sports Bar. Feels like an enlisted or officer's club. Beer, mixed drinks and very good pub / sports bar food. There are a multitude of widescreen TVs tuned into several sports channels. It's like the ESPN Club at the Boardwalk but more spacious.

There are two quick service options -- the Java Café and the Express Café. The Java Café is the original coffee stand on WDW property to serve Starbucks coffee and they still do. The Java Café also is a beer bar and an ice cream / gelato stand in the afternoon and evening. The beers range from craft brews to regular beers. Some of the beers, like at Evergreens Sports Bar, are exclusive and not sold anywhere on Disney. The Express Café serves hot and cold quick breakfast and lunch items.

I know only military and DOD can stay at Shades of Green but can I catch a bus from a park to go see it? They wouldn't let us drive in back in February.

The easiest way to get to Shades of Green is to take the monorail or Disney bus to the Polynesian resort and walk across the street to Shades along the path. If you are lucky concierge might have the Shady Shuttle golf cart to whisk you to the resort entrance. Another would be to take the Shades of Green bus at the Transportation & Ticket Center but, yes, you might have to prove you are military or a guest and show some identification / resort card. But I would believe if you explain to the Shades bus driver your intentions of visiting Shades he / she will likely allow it. I have seen a lot of Disney guests walking the path to the Magnolia and Palm golf club house so you should be good.

If you were going in the evening, that might be another story as the gate guard might stop you and you will have to prove you are a Shades resort guest.

All in all Shades of Green is an awesome resort to stay if you are military. I am military and my family and friends who have joined me in the past all say it is one of the best resorts on WDW property. There are minimal touches of Disney but you would not know it. Though you can hear the steam train whistle blow or Mark Twain riverboat blow from the Magic Kingdom from time to time, you would not know you were staying at a Disney resort. The views from the resort rooms looking over the golf courses are a sight.

Last edited:

Goofyfan4life

My wife and I were at Disney last October and we walked over to Shades to buy a ticket for my sister in law who was coming out to visit
us. We walked from the Poly got the ticket and it started to pour rain. We waited for the bus got on and the driver asked us for our resort ID card. I showed him my military ID but he said the bus is only for resort guests. Since we were the only ones on the bus he took us back to the tickets and transportation hub grudgingly.

a2grafix

Easiest bet is to either catch a bus from one of the parks to Poly and walk over. It's about an 8-10 minute walk up the pathway. You can try catching the shades of green bus at the TTC, HWS, or AK, but if you miss one it can be a long wait till the next.

The Shades buses run continuously during the day to and from the TTC, say every 10-15 minutes. But the theme park buses run at the top and bottom of the hour, as well as to Disney Springs. Unfortunately the Shades bus lots at the parks and Disney Springs is located far away in the "other / off-property / non-Disney resort" bus lots. If you don't mind the walk to the Shades bus parking spot, then go for it.

Dr.GrantSeeker

Shades of Green (i.e. http://www.shadesofgreen.org) has THREE sit down restaurants. The first one is an Italian-style restaurant that was mentioned above -- Mangino's Bistro -- that serves only dinner from 1700 - 2200 (5-9pm) . It's a really nice casual, fancyish Italian kitchen. Really great food and drink. They also have special food nights from time to time like clambakes, shrimpfests, and surf and turf nights.

The second restaurant is called the Garden Gallery and it's a buffet-style restaurant. They have an awesome breakfast buffet and in the evenings they have themed nights like make your own pizza. Next to one of the pools is Evergreen's Sports Bar. Feels like an enlisted or officer's club. Beer, mixed drinks and very good pub / sports bar food. There are a multitude of widescreen TVs tuned into several sports channels. It's like the ESPN Club at the Boardwalk but more spacious.

There are two quick service options -- the Java Café and the Express Café. The Java Café is the original coffee stand on WDW property to serve Starbucks coffee and they still do. The Java Café also is a beer bar and an ice cream / gelato stand in the afternoon and evening. The beers range from craft brews to regular beers. Some of the beers, like at Evergreens Sports Bar, are exclusive and not sold anywhere on Disney. The Express Café serves hot and cold quick breakfast and lunch items.

The easiest way to get to Shades of Green is to take the monorail or Disney bus to the Polynesian resort and walk across the street to Shades along the path. If you are lucky concierge might have the Shady Shuttle golf cart to whisk you to the resort entrance. Another would be to take the Shades of Green bus at the Transportation & Ticket Center but, yes, you might have to prove you are military or a guest and show some identification / resort card. But I would believe if you explain to the Shades bus driver your intentions of visiting Shades he / she will likely allow it. I have seen a lot of Disney guests walking the path to the Magnolia and Palm golf club house so you should be good.

If you were going in the evening, that might be another story as the gate guard might stop you and you will have to prove you are a Shades resort guest.

All in all Shades of Green is an awesome resort to stay if you are military. I am military and my family and friends who have joined me in the past all say it is one of the best resorts on WDW property. There are minimal touches of Disney but you would not know it. Though you can hear the steam train whistle blow or Mark Twain riverboat blow from the Magic Kingdom from time to time, you would not know you were staying at a Disney resort. The views from the resort rooms looking over the golf courses are a sight.

Thanks for the great information!

OliveMcFly

The few times I've been on that bus they've been strict about checking ID. I also remember getting a card from the bus driver for when I want to return.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom