Can I Go To The Resorts?

Panhead

Original Poster
Hey,

So I'm just curious, I live in the Orlando area and a few times a month I head over to WDW to hang out, ride, photograph, etc. Whenever I go I've always stayed in the parks. I'm wondering, is it possible for me to go to/in the resorts without a reservation? I know I can walk from EPCOT to the boardwalk, but how about taking the resort monorail to the con.temp? Or taking a boat to the poly/GF, or the boats from DTD? I'd love to go to all the resorts and just get some pictures. I know all the resorts have security at the gates if I were to drive to them.

Thanks,

-Chris-

janoimagine

Hey,

So I'm just curious, I live in the Orlando area and a few times a month I head over to WDW to hang out, ride, photograph, etc. Whenever I go I've always stayed in the parks. I'm wondering, is it possible for me to go to/in the resorts without a reservation? I know I can walk from EPCOT to the boardwalk, but how about taking the resort monorail to the con.temp? Or taking a boat to the poly/GF, or the boats from DTD? I'd love to go to all the resorts and just get some pictures. I know all the resorts have security at the gates if I were to drive to them.

Thanks,

-Chris-

You can wander the resorts no problem ... :D.

CaptainShortty

99.9% of the time you are free to roam the resorts at your leisure! The only exception to that rule is that on extremely busy days in the resorts (ex. Easter Sunday), you will only be allowed into the resort if you are staying there, are checking in or are eating in one of the restaurants. But other than those few select days a year, you may walk around them to your heart's content.

Happy Roaming!! :)

DABIGCHEEZ

We never had a problem visiting any of the resorts until last year. We are DVC and were staying at AKVs. My kids love riding the boats so we got on the boat at DTD that goes to OKW. I think it stopped at SSR first as well. Anyway when we got to OKW and did not get off the Captain looked at us kind of odd. He asked where we were going. We said we just wanted to enjoy the boat ride and he told us that these boats are solely for the guests staying at those resorts.

I thought, yeah OK Buddy, and we stayed right in our seats. It is not like the boat was full as I think only 1 family exited at SSR and 1 couple exited at OKW. No one got on at OKW... so really?

duplechien

Ive always just told security Im either there to sight see or drink at the lounge and they let you right in. The only resort that I think is prohibited to non patrons is the Bay Lake Towers

Panhead

Original Poster
Sweet! Just conjuring up a plan now... is there a way I can get to ALL the resorts? I know how I can get to the boardwalk resorts, MK resorts, and DTD resorts... how can I get to POP, AKL, Coronado, etc? I just want to roam around for an hour or two at each resort and get some pictures. Unfortunately, living in Orlando I have never stayed at a Disney resort simply because I live so close (saving $$). I'd love to go an see what they are all like!

Thanks all!

-Chris-

Rob562

Sweet! Just conjuring up a plan now... is there a way I can get to ALL the resorts? I know how I can get to the boardwalk resorts, MK resorts, and DTD resorts... how can I get to POP, AKL, Coronado, etc? I just want to roam around for an hour or two at each resort and get some pictures. Unfortunately, living in Orlando I have never stayed at a Disney resort simply because I live so close (saving $$). I'd love to go an see what they are all like!

Thanks all!

-Chris-

You can take a Disney bus to those resorts, but as you will presumably have your own car, it's easiest to drive to the resorts that aren't readily accessible from a park. I've driven to WL, Coronado, CBR and AKL just to look around (and sometimes eat lunch).

-Rob

Unomas

We never had a problem visiting any of the resorts until last year. We are DVC and were staying at AKVs. My kids love riding the boats so we got on the boat at DTD that goes to OKW. I think it stopped at SSR first as well. Anyway when we got to OKW and did not get off the Captain looked at us kind of odd. He asked where we were going. We said we just wanted to enjoy the boat ride and he told us that these boats are solely for the guests staying at those resorts.

I thought, yeah OK Buddy, and we stayed right in our seats. It is not like the boat was full as I think only 1 family exited at SSR and 1 couple exited at OKW. No one got on at OKW... so really?

That guy just sounds like a jerk. No where does it say that.

Panhead

Original Poster
You can take a Disney bus to those resorts, but as you will presumably have your own car, it's easiest to drive to the resorts that aren't readily accessible from a park. I've driven to WL, Coronado, CBR and AKL just to look around (and sometimes eat lunch).

-Rob

Yeah, I have my own car. Can I just drive to the other resorts? What about the security checkpoint? Will I have to pay for parking?

-Chris-

redshoesrock

No, there's no fee for parking, and the security guard isn't going to stop you. If you feel weird about telling the security guard that you just want to wander around the resort because (like us) you're a big Disney nerd, just tell them you're having lunch at one of the restaurants. They hear that all the time, and they won't give you a second glance. You can even do a little research and know the names of the restaurants at the particular resort you're going to. If you're going to wander the resorts, I'd do it during the day when the resorts aren't as full - at night the security guards are a little more questioning about why you're going to a particular resort. It's usually because people are returning from the parks or having dinner reservations at a restaurant so they want to make sure there's enough parking for everyone.

Panhead

Original Poster
No, there's no fee for parking, and the security guard isn't going to stop you. If you feel weird about telling the security guard that you just want to wander around the resort because (like us) you're a big Disney nerd, just tell them you're having lunch at one of the restaurants. They hear that all the time, and they won't give you a second glance. You can even do a little research and know the names of the restaurants at the particular resort you're going to. If you're going to wander the resorts, I'd do it during the day when the resorts aren't as full - at night the security guards are a little more questioning about why you're going to a particular resort. It's usually because people are returning from the parks or having dinner reservations at a restaurant so they want to make sure there's enough parking for everyone.

Noted, thanks so much guys! Is there any 'secret' places in some of the resorts I should check out? Such as a walkway that most people pass by, or a place with a special view.

-Chris-

NeedMoreMickey

If you can check out the resorts deck out for Christmas. If you are pressed for time it seemed to use when we took the ME from the airport last year and the more expensive resorts had the most decorations. Need to see gingerbread house at GF and the carousel at the Beach Club.

Victor Kelly

Not much to see at POP except the stuff on the buildings. :ROFLOL:

Security is a lot more tight at night, but they are always really nice. And truthfully they are looking out for the guests welfare.

Panhead

Original Poster
If you can check out the resorts deck out for Christmas. If you are pressed for time it seemed to use when we took the ME from the airport last year and the more expensive resorts had the most decorations. Need to see gingerbread house at GF and the carousel at the Beach Club.

Sweet! I know MK Christmas decorations are up, any idea when the resorts will be spiffy'd up for the holidays? :xmas:

-Chris-

SulleyanBoo

Yes! We stayed at Port Orleans last year and roamed/took pics/ate at ect.. Wilderness Lodge, Grand Floridian and The Contemporary :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom