can characters talk?

dponisci

Original Poster
i was at the swan for dinner at gullivers on a tuesday night around 8 for dinner. i was with two friends of mine and we happened to stumble upon a character dinner at the restaurant. we were practically the only people there! there might have been two other couples across the restaurant that was it. And Pluto and Goofy were entertaining. I was wondering what the policies were for being a Disney character. The reason is that Goofy stayed at our table for ten minutes before we ate and then came back after we finished eating and sat at the table with us. This was when one of my friends who was slightly intoxicated begged Goofy to talk, but no matter how much she asked, he wouldn't do it. i mean obviously in the presence of children it wouldn't be a good thing for Goofy to get up and start talking, but my friend was wondering why he wouldn't say anything.

kal1484

Only the "face" characters (princesses, ect) are allowed to. It would be too hard to have EVERY mickey sound the same, and that wouldnt be good.

Erika

If you are Deaf, and lucky enough to find a character who knows ASL, he or she can talk to you. But speaking is a no-no for the non-face people.

RogueHabit

I understand that it is a massive taboo for masked characters, including things like Green Army Man to speak.

Unmasked characters, like Belle and Alice however do speak.

mktiggerman might be able to tell you more.

TURKEY

Face characters are the only ones permitted to talk.

Some reasons masked characters can't talk that I was told:

1. Different people have different voices.

2. People are used to hearing characters in their language. Mickey and the rest in Japan are translated into Japanese. They don't want little kids hearing the characters speak a different language.

tmp

Even though masked characters are not permitted to talk I have had Minnie "kiss" me before. The cast member actually made the sound of a kiss. :kiss:

MajinBuu

Originally posted by tmp
Even though masked characters are not permitted to talk I have had Minnie "kiss" me before. The cast member actually made the sound of a kiss. :kiss:

Same here... but it was Chip... or was it Dale... it was so long i cant remember.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Face characters are allowed to speak, fur characters are not.. they are allowed to kiss, and in Pluto's case, lick as well

dsny1998

Mickey Talking

Last month, a friends' parents went to DW with thier 3 year old daughter. One day the mother dressed the girl as Minnie. When they got back, the story was that Mickey said to her "Hey your dressed just like Minnie".........Obviously I found this odd since i knew the characters didn't talk.

So now, whats the deal???? Is this true, or are they lying? The weird and ironic part would be that the 3 year old was so happy when that happened, and she says it ALL the time.....everytime I'm over she talks about how Mickey said she was dressed like Minnie..........

.............WEIRD............

mkt

Premium Member
Re: Mickey Talking

Originally posted by dsny1998
Last month, a friends' parents went to DW with thier 3 year old daughter. One day the mother dressed the girl as Minnie. When they got back, the story was that Mickey said to her "Hey your dressed just like Minnie".........Obviously I found this odd since i knew the characters didn't talk.

So now, whats the deal???? Is this true, or are they lying? The weird and ironic part would be that the 3 year old was so happy when that happened, and she says it ALL the time.....everytime I'm over she talks about how Mickey said she was dressed like Minnie..........

.............WEIRD............

ok.. here's the thing. If anyone remembers the WDW commercial from years ago. It featured a small child and his parents. He wasn't doing anything until he met Mickey. When he did, he stood there in awe for about 20 secs, jaw wide open, the whole 9 yards. He turns around and goes to his parents, and the rest of the commercial is about his and Mickey's conversation.

Kids have HUGE imaginations..

TinkerBell9988

When we were eating in the Liberty Tree Tavern, Goofy came by our table. He took me by the hand and starting ballroom dancing with me and "dipped" me, as so I was almost completely upside down! It was hilarious, and the pictures are funny (and humiliating!)...

By the way, mktiggerman, you must be pretty tall since you usually play Tigger's role... He has some kind of height requirement, right?

mkt

Premium Member
Originally posted by TinkerBell9988
By the way, mktiggerman, you must be pretty tall since you usually play Tigger's role... He has some kind of height requirement, right?

what?!?!?!? ME.. TIGGER?? You must be crazy..

but since you're sooooooo curious as to my height, I'm 5'11"... not that tall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom