Can anyone identify this owl?

Sassagoula

Original Poster
Well, it's actually a little more than an owl. ;) But I found this photo on Flickr in a Disney World set, and I can't figure out where it is from.

qkwns.jpg

Original source is here. According to the link, it's from 1980, and judging by the other photos in the album, I'm assuming this was something set up for the public to see (in other words, not a special behind-the-scenes private thing). Any ideas?

MarkTwain

That, Sassagoula (awesome screenname by the way...), is Hoot Gibson. You may or may not have heard of the Western River Expedition, of which there is a considerable about of information on here and other places on the internet (like here!). But in short, it was to be an original attraction for the Magic Kingdom in its early years, rather like a Pirates of the Caribbean but with a western, cowboy-and-indians theme. The attraction was cancelled to make way for the shortened version of Pirates we got today, but not before all of the development work and a certain amount of animatronic construction was done. One of those animatronics was Hoot Gibson, who was going to be something of a narrator/spiel announcer for the ride. Once the ride was cancelled, Hoot was repurposed and became part of an exhibit on Main Street used to display upcoming WDW attractions, which is what you see in that photograph. Western River Expedition may have been one of those attractions, but I'm not really sure. Others who actually witnessed Hoot Gibson (myself not being among them) while he was on display might be able to share greater detail, but that's the gist of it.

EDIT: Hey, well look what I found... a synopsis of the attractions Hoot Gibson was used to advertise, and even a complete spiel transcription of what he said. Just go here and scroll to the bottom.

Wilt Dasney

^ It might be included in the link, but since I don't see it stated explicitly, I believe Hoot was part of the pre- or post-show attached to "The Walt Disney Story" in the since-repurposed Main Street Exposition Hall.

Cmdr_Crimson

Well, it's actually a little more than an owl. ;) But I found this photo on Flickr in a Disney World set, and I can't figure out where it is from.

qkwns.jpg

Ah Hoot Gibson from the Walt Disney Story where the Town Square Theater Stands to this day..Widen Your World has the whole story of Hoot Gibson..He was there to explain about the upcoming Western River Expedition that never happen..http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/wds.htm

He even had a pin as well..
http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/group.cgi?group=3741&pin=54104

Sassagoula

Original Poster
That, Sassagoula (awesome screenname by the way...), is Hoot Gibson. You may or may not have heard of the Western River Expedition, of which there is a considerable about of information on here and other places on the internet (like here!). But in short, it was to be an original attraction for the Magic Kingdom in its early years, rather like a Pirates of the Caribbean but with a western, cowboy-and-indians theme. The attraction was cancelled to make way for the shortened version of Pirates we got today, but not before all of the development work and a certain amount of animatronic construction was done. One of those animatronics was Hoot Gibson, who was going to be something of a narrator/spiel announcer for the ride. Once the ride was cancelled, Hoot was repurposed and became part of an exhibit on Main Street used to display upcoming WDW attractions, which is what you see in that photograph. Western River Expedition may have been one of those attractions, but I'm not really sure. Others who actually witnessed Hoot Gibson (myself not being among them) while he was on display might be able to share greater detail, but that's the gist of it.

EDIT: Hey, well look what I found... a synopsis of the attractions Hoot Gibson was used to advertise, and even a complete spiel transcription of what he said. Just go here and scroll to the bottom.

Ahhh, that makes so much sense! I've read about Western River Expedition, but somehow I completely forgot about the Hoot Gibson part. Too bad I never got to see the display in person, it looked interesting.

Thanks a lot for the link, and thanks to everyone else for their help as well :)

mp2bill

Wow, that's a lot of info

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom