Camera Center is Gone...

BoarderPhreak

Original Poster
Its tenure at Epcot is done. The doors closed for the last time last night and today there are tarps over the signs.

I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I remember wandering around in there in the 80s, looking at shiny new Kodak Disc Cameras in the showcases against the wall. I may have bought a roll of film or something in there over the years though. I still have an old SLR style camera strap that's embroidered to look like 35mm film with Mickey heads on each frame, which I'm sure I got there. But as far as camera stores go, it was pretty weak (and only got worse). Still, I'm sad to see it go.

1982 style:

1053351214_c234793a50_b.jpg

DisneyDreamerxyz

I wouldn't think it would take long to turn this into the new pin store......I guess it depends on if they want to gut it and remodel it or not ?
Maybe Pin Central will close sooner than we think.

zengoth

Probably a harbinger of the future of all ”camera”places which have turned into phone case and magic band stores. Hopefully the one at the studios will keep its facade.

DisneyDreamerxyz

Probably a harbinger of the future of all ”camera”places which have turned into phone case and magic band stores. Hopefully the one at the studios will keep its facade.
I wonder how long the contract with Nikon goes? I used to work in the Main Street Theatre shop (called Box Office Gifts or "BOG") and it's technically sponsored by Nikon and we had one display case with actual cameras and some minor equipment for sale but I never saw anyone sell anything.

MinnieWaffles

Think the only time I've been in there, it was to look for something not camera related which was weird. They mostly sold the same Mickey ears and MBs with one counter of sunscreen and stuff.

yensid67

From what I can remember from working there, the camera center sold Kodak film, batteries, and had charging stations for cameras. I cannot remember if we had ANY cameras in there. I am sure they did, but I cannot remember. I think some guests will miss the center but they didn't have anything special that they cannot place in other merchandising shops

dreamfinder

I wonder how long the contract with Nikon goes? I used to work in the Main Street Theatre shop (called Box Office Gifts or "BOG") and it's technically sponsored by Nikon and we had one display case with actual cameras and some minor equipment for sale but I never saw anyone sell anything.

Suspect that's just a tie in to the contract for Photopass. They sponsored Photopass, and WDW threw in the signs at the camera stores for free. (or cheap, when has WDW given something away for free)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
From what I can remember from working there, the camera center sold Kodak film, batteries, and had charging stations for cameras. I cannot remember if we had ANY cameras in there. I am sure they did, but I cannot remember. I think some guests will miss the center but they didn't have anything special that they cannot place in other merchandising shops
Yes back in the day there were cameras in there, even lenses and accessories.

PeoplemoverTTA

Ha! Then we definitely used the kiosk.

Was that by Toad/Pooh? I have this fuzzy image in my memory of a kiosk by the turn into Tomorrowland...

Also, wasn't there also a Camera Store in Adventureland by Pirates? I remember my aunt always going in there to buy a new camera strap.

disneyC97

The Magic Kingdom camera shop was where the confectionary is now. You could also dress up and take a picture on the “back of a train” in Victorian garb.

There was a similar pirates garb set up near the western most Caribbean Plaza restrooms. The camera/film shop was the building used now for the entrance to the Pirates interactive game.

BoarderPhreak

Original Poster
Yes back in the day there were cameras in there, even lenses and accessories.
Yup. Like I said, they even had Kodak Disc Cameras back in the day.

1aa93d097f5030588c4063a3edbc698b.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom