Calming Rooms for non IP rides - Could this work at Disney?

comics101

I was reading somewhere about various amusement parks beginning to add "Calming Rooms" for children with special needs to help them unwind and decompress from some of the many stresses that come with crowded, loud environments. I think that is a good idea, but also started wondering if Disney could do something similar for adults at some of the non IP based rides and shows.

At times you hear people say things like "Hall of Presidents is boring" or "I don't like SSE and LWTL because they're too educational", and so on. There are more people out there than you realize who do not find entertainment or enjoyment with rides or shows that do not represent Disney owned IP.
Is it time for Disney to start considering calming rooms for adults and children alike who get confused or bored over those non IP attractions? To help them unwind and remind them of the vast collection of characters in the Disney library? I was thinking they could use VR goggles for relaxation purposes, displaying slideshows of different Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, and Disney characters accompanied to calming music. This would remind anyone who gets stressed easily when experiencing a non IP attraction that the characters still exist, and help eliminate stress / boredom.
View attachment 563878

If the VR goggles are too expensive of an option, Disney could use flash cards or wall posters in the calming rooms, showing different characters that are IP. Could this work, and would this help those who can't handle the stress of educational or non IP park offerings?

I understand your point, I think. You miss the slow-moving EPCOT Center dark rides of yesteryear. You long for the days when you could ride Ellen's Energy Adventure and fall half-asleep, right?

I get it. I miss that too. The best you're going to get are the few remaining classics that exist. Attractions like The Country Bear Jamboree, The Enchanted Tiki Room, and The TTA. At Epcot there's still Living with the Land and Spaceship Earth, and honestly Grand Fiesta Tour still a similar purpose for me (although it is a smidge on the louder side). DHS lost their relaxer when they closed GMR. DAK, to my knowledge, never really had an attraction that served this purpose (although the animal trails are nice in a similar way).

I think the slowness of yesteryear is gone. Everything has to be faster, more colorful, more DISNEY! People don't remember how to slow down and smell the flowers, and it shows in the attractions Disney (and Universal) build.

nickys

Premium Member
lego land is doing it
That’s laudable and worthwhile.OP’s suggestion wasn’t actually calming sensory rooms for those with autism.

Instead they had a, quite frankly daft, suggestion for those who couldn’t handle a lack of Disney characters. And it was far from calming anyway, it was designed to raise their excitement levels. Which is why I think it was a wind-up anyway. The obvious solution is simply not to visit those attractions in the first place.

ppete1975

That’s laudable and worthwhile.OP’s suggestion wasn’t actually calming sensory rooms for those with autism.

Instead they had a, quite frankly daft, suggestion for those who couldn’t handle a lack of Disney characters. And it was far from calming anyway, it was designed to raise their excitement levels. Which is why I think it was a wind-up anyway. The obvious solution is simply not to visit those attractions in the first place.
oh i read the first part of the posters comment then it rambled, i fell asleep then I thought... It is odd that lego land goes out of their way to try and make all guests comfortable and most other domestic parks do not. I have a feeling with the final acceptance that we are all created equal and mental and physical differences shouldnt be hidden any more that more parks follow legolands lead here (I am sure legoland isnt the first, but as an uneducated on these matters person its the first that i had heard of)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom