Calling all real Imagineers!

Lhriangel

Originally posted by Genie
It is not a stable life Film or Disney Definetly have a back up plan. I grew up in the industry have faimly in it and it does not mean I will have a job tomorrow

The problem about having a back up plan is that it is an easy out for you not to follow your dreams because you are afraid to succeed.

Genie

See I am following my dreams. But I am also am ready if the industry goes belly up or if we have another tragedy in this country. in the last year I have seen over a hundred people in my department laid off. Our job is only as good as todays economy. As far as education and experience I have those covered too. Full sail is not the answer and they are very overated and very expensive. Your best education is experience or internship. We see resumes from all over the country from the top schools and the top companies and if fullsail is your only back your not going to work with us.

NowInc

Originally posted by ghosthost13
:( Perhaps you don't have the right connections or maybe you didn't go to the right school. I go to Fullsail and everyone that has graduated has gone on to work on some of the most popular movies over the past couple of decades. There are even grads who have worked at George Lucas's Indusrial Light and Magic & Skywalker Sound. To this day, there are grads who have made a career for themselves in all aspects of the film business. Who knows, maybe Florida will become the Hollywood East it was suppose to be in a few years. So you see, the film business can be a good place to have a career. Maybe your parents have connections with a few people in high places that you may not know about. If you want to be in the film business, YOU CAN, just don't give up so easy. :animwink:

Fullsail?? hehe

no comment on that one ;)

The "industry" is pretty dead right now..trust me. There are on average about 15,000 new CG Artists graduating college each year...and only 500 new jobs open up each year.

South florida is rapidly becoming a movie mechha for studios..we are alerady getting a few BIG companies down here..so we'll see what happens ;)

Lhriangel

Originally posted by Genie
See I am following my dreams. But I am also am ready if the industry goes belly up or if we have another tragedy in this country. in the last year I have seen over a hundred people in my department laid off. Our job is only as good as todays economy. As far as education and experience I have those covered too. Full sail is not the answer and they are very overated and very expensive. Your best education is experience or internship. We see resumes from all over the country from the top schools and the top companies and if fullsail is your only back your not going to work with us.

I agree with the internship ... In fact I know I want to work for WDI and I know experience in the company would be a plus. I've done an internship at WDW (the WDWCP), am hoping to work at DL this summer and I for one have been trying to get an internship at WDI (but if you aren't in engineering right now and want an internship anywhere other than WDW you are pretty much out of luck blah).

BTW what IS Fullsail? I'm just a simple UCLA student. (now isn't at least one person high up at WDI an alumni from UCLA ;) )

Genie

Fullsail is a 1 to 2 year school which prides it self on real world experience. You go there to learn your trade. I would not rank them as a tech school but it is the closest thing to a internship you will recieve. Classes are all over the place one day 2om next 1 am. THey are simulating real world. As far as the UCLA Alum high up in WDI I am not sure. I now you live in California but Florida you have a better chance at the internship and the full time job. I ve worked both & FLorida is the place to be. The California group is just not big enough.

Lhriangel

The California group is smaller? Um.. that doesn't sound right since WDI is based out here and since they are even the part of Imagineering that is hiring more people at the moment. (I've been checking... go to Disney Careers.) In fact... they are also the group that has internships.. FL WDI have fewer.

CA WDI: Creates new attractions...
FL WDI: Modifies existing ones...

Well that's what I was told when talking to a Imagineer while on my college program....

ghosthost13

Original Poster
Fullsail is a 1yr school in which you receive an A.S. in your chosen field. Were in most other colleges and universities you would have to wait until your junior or senior year to actually touch any gear, at fullsail you are exposed to the equipment from the start. I would DEFINITELY call it a tech school because it was voted no.2 out of top ten tech schools in the country. Employers hire grads because they get to learn how to use the latest gear and software as it's released. There are students working (with permanent employment) in film, digital media, computer animation, game design, recording arts, and show production. The shool has been receiving an few bad raps, but when all is said and done, all of the other cats that have gone to other tech schools are just jealous because when we graduate, we are getting the jobs and they aren't.

ghosthost13

Original Poster
Originally posted by Angelique

I agree with the internship ... In fact I know I want to work for WDI and I know experience in the company would be a plus. I've done an internship at WDW (the WDWCP), am hoping to work at DL this summer and I for one have been trying to get an internship at WDI (but if you aren't in engineering right now and want an internship anywhere other than WDW you are pretty much out of luck blah).

BTW what IS Fullsail? I'm just a simple UCLA student. (now isn't at least one person high up at WDI an alumni from UCLA ;) )
Could be Marty Sklar, Tony Baxter, Barry Braverman, or Joe Rohde. Although I'm not sure which one.

Lhriangel

Could be Marty Sklar, Tony Baxter, Barry Braverman, or Joe Rohde. Although I'm not sure which one.

I'm pretty sure one is but not sure which one at the moment. lol.

NowInc

The shool has been receiving an few bad raps, but when all is said and done, all of the other cats that have gone to other tech schools are just jealous because when we graduate, we are getting the jobs and they aren't.

Graduates from FullSail gernerally get work because they have lower degrees than all other schools (thus it being a technical school), so companies dont have to pay them half as much as a student who has a BSD or a masters. For example: A graduate from CalArts (I know many) would demand higher pay because their degree is "worth more" (all the other art classes they took etc..which DO make the difference), and thus to the recruiter who is told in advance how much money they are allowed to spend on a new employee, they get a big red X. Does it make sence? Sadly yes. Is it fair? Nope. But thats the industry for ya.

Remember...at least 15,000 animators graduate in the world each quater..only 5000 animation jobs open up every 6 months. Thats why most of us do freelance ;)

ghosthost13

Original Poster
Has anyone gone to see what the imagineers have done with the new "Journey into your Imaginations" ride. The two photos on this sight don't show you much. If anyone has seen it, please let us know what you liked and disliked(if anything) about it. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom