Calling all IP malcontents......

tl77

Uhh no, you fail at the reality check step.
I'm talking about Walt Disney and the original company used to create original content, you're talking about copying things in the real world for the World Showcase, that's not the same thing

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'm talking about Walt Disney and the original company used to create original content, you're talking about copying things in the real world for the World Showcase, that's not the same thing

If you mean reimagining existing fables into cartoon features then your definition of original is a bit fluid.

tl77

If you mean reimagining existing fables into cartoon features then your definition of original is a bit fluid.
that's not at all what I mean... I'm talking about things like The Country Bears and Tiki Birds that only exist in the parks

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
It is well understood by most people on these message board, that when we talk about "IP" in the parks we are talking about the use of an existing IP as opposed to developing an new IP specifically for an attraction. Using an existing IP can become problematic if it needs to be "force fit" into the attraction or park.

My problem with IPs is how they seem to be using them recently. Imagineers are given a specific IP, and often a park or even a specific attraction, and then they must make the IP fit. I would rather the Imagineers be told what is needed in a specific park, say for example a new thrill ride in Epcot, and they determine what is the best fit whether it be an existing IP or something new. Balance is a big part of the problem now, everything needs to be tied to an existing IP, Imagineers aren't getting the ability to come up with totally original ideas.

I actually don't have a problem with using outside IPs. I still remember when I first heard Disney was teaming up with Lucas to create Star Tours. I could only imagine what amazing things would come out of Disney applying their magic to the Star Wars franchise. Of course at this point Disney should have little need to go outside for IP's since they already own everything. :)

Very well said! And I'm very thankful we received a Twilight Zone Tower, Indiana Jones Adventure, and Splash Mountain.. all based on IP. The problem is, like you said, when they force it where they don't belong. Or when its all IP, all the time, no room for originality anywhere. Then Disney is starting to look like Universal and with Pixar Pier, Six Flags.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom