California Grill - what items are a “must order”???

DISR

Reviving an older thread, which I am doing a lot of today...

Did the California Grill used to have a much more sushi-centric menu? I remember sitting at the sushi bar about 10 years ago and interacting throughout the evening with the sushi chef. We ordered a few things up front, but then she just started making suggestions, which we took. We had a great evening of trying new things. I got the impression she was creating the sushi with a unique accompanying sauce or seasoning with each item she served us. Now it seems like there is a much more limited list of pre-set options.

Last edited:

wdwfan757

Reviving an older thread, which I am doing a lot of today...

Did the California Grill used to have a much more sushi-centric menu? I remember sitting at the sushi bar about 10 years ago and interacting throughout the evening with the sushi chef. We ordered a few things up front, but then she just started making suggestions, which we took. We had a great evening of trying new things. I got the impression she was creating the sushi with a unique accompanying sauce or seasoning with each item she served us. Now it seems like there is a much more limited list of pre-set options.

It did indeed. Chef Yoshie left in 2012 after 17 fantastic years. After that, Cali Grill was never the same. She's in the culinary hall of fame now, I think, but retired. I am pretty sure childhood wdwfan757 got his sushi addiction from her. Im just grateful they kept the Spicy kazan roll, it's still one of my favorites anywhere.

Minthorne

Cali grill seemed to loose it shine after it was renovated - at least for me. I used to go every trip, now I haven't gone in a few years.

wdwfan757

I don't know that it was ever a must for me, but it was probably my favorite signature on property. Living in the DC area, I've never really been that enamored by WDW's "fine dining" options. It's no cheaper than the food in any major city, it's no better than the food in any major city, and it takes a chunk out of my vacation time + I have to get lucky enough to find a reservation. I've always gravitated to a lot of the "food that is really bad for you" at wdw... like eating until I cannot walk anymore at trail's end.

With that said, there's still something to be said for really solid food and the best views on property. If you haven't been in a while, i'd really recommend going to brunch there. I'm not a breakfast person really, but everyone I've done brunch with there really was blown away. It is a really great ambiance and really good food and something I'd recommend if youre an old California Grill fan who hasn't found a reason to go in a while. Probably one of the best overall dining experiences I've had on property in the past few years.

DisneyJill

i had the best scallops i've ever had on one visit there. there were only two on the plate, which i thought upon arrival was a total rip off, but i should have had faith that the chef knew better than i did. they were excellent.

ELeigh

Bread service was so much better than the main courses we had a Sanaa and I could have made a meal of that alone. Also the Painted Lemur cocktail was really good if you like chocolate and rum :)

danyoung56

My friend Hockey89 is a cranky ol' dude who never had a mommy to tell him when he's being rude. Most of us are just used to it.

DISR

Couldn't agree more.... It was a must for me but not anymore...
When I recommend it to folks, I focus on the view and experience. The food may be great or it may be forgettable. Like many Disney restaurants now, it can be very good if it is at its best. Unfortunately you cannot guarantee you will get its best. I have ADRs for August. Looking forward to seeing which experience I get.

My95cobras

I’m not a fan of cg... I think the menu is disjointed. Flatbreads, sushi, entrees... pick a theme and go with it. I don’t want pizza and sushi for fine dining that isn’t that fine.

The only reason we usually go up is for a drink and to watch the fireworks.

If we’re spending the money, I would go to Victoria and alberts time. That’s the best restaurant in Florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom