California Grill to debut new fixed price three course menu.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Now you’re thinking! Remember -

#1 - Disney is a business
#2 - it’s the customers fault, too many ordered the duck pizza and fillet of beef. If those customers had not been so selfish Disney could have afforded to keep them on the menu.
I hear Bob Chapek is really warming to my idea of credit card operated toilets stalls.

awoogala

Here is the new menu for the 50th -

View attachment 588203

Begins October 3rd, with reservations available September 23rd.
nice vegan/vegetarian/plant based option. It's amusing that we now need to/want to go to only high end restaurants, because the plant-based/veg/vegan options everywhere else have gotten less interesting/all gross processed beyond burger stuff. we used to go to the lesser known/lower cost places, because they weren't afraid of tofu and beans. lol

awoogala

I think that sounds fantastic…

And it is a signature restaurant. Although I’m assured adults can order from the kid menu for $89 Mac n cheese. If they really want the off-center fireworks view.
when Tusker first started, and it was a bit more adventurous,(before characters). we used to laugh into our elbows at the full grown 6 foot men squatting to pile their plates with nuggets and mac and cheese from the "kids" buffet. I do not think adults ordering mac and cheese at a signature is unusual.

awoogala

There's two types of problematic guests for CG and they often overlap:

1) Guests who just eat apps/dessert to have a good view for fireworks.

2) People who hold tables for three hours while waiting for fireworks. '

What they saw post-reopening is that while they were still selling out basically every night, more people were coming just to eat a nice meal. Less people were there to split a flatbread and a piece of cake, just so they could enjoy a fireworks view. Also, with no fireworks, gone were the people who would hold tables for 3+ hours.

When the fireworks came back, they saw a massive revenue decrease as these types of guests started showing back up. It was more common than people thought, as the average check went down quite a bit. Even surprising a lot of the longtime F&B managers.

So while they have chosen not to set a time limit on the length of a visit, they have created basically a "cover charge," via the prix fixe, to make up for this lost revenue.
Understandable. But then, just set a limit. I will spend, but not prix fixe. I have eaten 1 dessert in like a year. I just don't do sweets. I will probably spend the same, though- because wine, cocktails, and maybe making a tapas from apps will happen. I can easily spend the same amount, without getting dessert, because I'd rather have apps, and drinks, and maybe one entree to share. same $, without the stupid restrictions- but yup, Disney is going for people willing to spend once because it is Disney. So, I understand, but I won't be there. I'm going to be ordering extra groceries on my next trip from amazon. Can't get a space res., The Wave is gone (where we ate almost daily).. I'm just, again, I'm not going to rail and scream about it, it's just .. tiring now, and I was the "up at 6 am at 180 days" person. Now I'm the "i'll probably order some protein bars for the next trip, and we can just eat one meal" person. We just went in August, and even Tiffins was sad, and absolutely not as good as it used to be. I get a lot of it is supply issues/pandemic issues. but like the tofu was awful- my 16 year old makes better tofu than tiffins, and that is saying a lot. it's not a huge steak, I'm paying a LOT for tofu, so it better be good... and it was not. lol

ToTBellHop

when Tusker first started, and it was a bit more adventurous,(before characters). we used to laugh into our elbows at the full grown 6 foot men squatting to pile their plates with nuggets and mac and cheese from the "kids" buffet. I do not think adults ordering mac and cheese at a signature is unusual.
Of course it isn’t unusual. It funds Chapek’s bonus checks. That’s why they make sure they have the best damn mac and cheese.

pdude81

A lot. Mostly a problem that’s grown recently due to current events and conditions.
They could have solved a lot of this by bringing back dessert parties earlier though. People who don't want to be crushed in front of the castle had no option for an upcharge where you could see the projections. You could do a fireworks cruise with a slightly better view than the free Polynesian Beach, or watch on youtube. Oh well

UNCgolf

Holy bananas...I just read that the cost for adult is $89!!! is that right? Does that include wine? It has to, right?

So that's a $20 appetizer, $50 entrée and $20 dessert if alcohol not included.

I wouldn't think so. The Space 220 prix fixe menu doesn't appear to include alcohol; there's a whole separate drink menu with prices.

This is why prix fixe is not great.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
They never enforced it…what you’re referring to is the rollover of generations…you see it everywhere.
A couple in front of me (this was in 2009) argued with the podium because they tried to tell the gentleman he couldn’t wear his board shorts to dinner because it was swimwear. Guess who won? I will say though when I worked on DCL they thoroughly enforced this at Palo/Rémy and did not care if the guest was angry; wear the right clothes or you don’t eat.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
..:staffing…covid…

that’s the excuse there. And I bet they are partially right…if they go back
Pop has gone back to individual stations again like pre Covid but haven’t checked to see if they do to order yet. Take a look at trattoria and all star music food court, it looks like they’re tryyyying to get back to unique items. The issue right now is that any restaurant that is already open is at the end of the line to be given permission to change their menu until all the closed restaurants are back online. Even signature dining which pre Covid could change the menu anytime the chef wanted has to wait. If you take a look at restaurants that opened last year compared to ones that opened more recently you can see they’re trying to get back to (Disney) decent menus.

DCBaker

Premium Member
I can't find it on the Disney Cali Grill page, but are we sure reservations open up on Sept 23 for the prix fixe?

"This incredible limited-time three-course menu will be offered starting Oct. 3, with reservations available Sept. 23. To make reservations, visit the Walt Disney World Resort website."

Dr.GrantSeeker

"This incredible limited-time three-course menu will be offered starting Oct. 3, with reservations available Sept. 23. To make reservations, visit the Walt Disney World Resort website."

Thank you! I looked on DPB and couldn't even find that post. Appreciate it!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A couple in front of me (this was in 2009) argued with the podium because they tried to tell the gentleman he couldn’t wear his board shorts to dinner because it was swimwear. Guess who won? I will say though when I worked on DCL they thoroughly enforced this at Palo/Rémy and did not care if the guest was angry; wear the right clothes or you don’t eat.
You can do that on a cruise line because nicer clothing is still the “industry standard”…

…not so in the swamp

Board shorts and a $150+ bill never went together…and never will. It’s embarrassing

Crazydisneyfanluke

Questions for those who have eaten here before and the place before Steakhouse 71.

For the fireworks, do they have a place where they play the music for California Grill or Steakhouse 71?

Do you have to request window seating or does every table have a good view of MK?

I'm asking before I decide California Grill or Steakhouse 71. My group is leaning towards California Grill at the moment since it is everyone's (not mine) first time at the MK Resort area and will be going to MK the same weekend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom