California Grill to debut new fixed price three course menu.

TrainsOfDisney

At the cost of the people who go there and routinely splurge on food and drink who will be ****ed off at the restrictions.
The cheap comes out expensive usually.
Wait, what is this mess? California Grill is our big meal each trip - usually around $400 for two of us. We get apps, spicy Kazan rolls, dinner, drinks, dessert…. This isn’t anything that we want! How long is this trash going to last?
Not anymore you don’t!
So while they have chosen not to set a time limit on the length of a visit, they have created basically a "cover charge," via the prix fixe, to make up for this lost revenue.
If that’s the only problem they could have created an “every adult must order an entree’” rule. They also found a way to significantly cut costs both in ingredients and staffing.
I’d rather have Concourse circa 1999…but I can go with this
I loved Concourse Steakhouse so much. That French onion soup!!!!

TrojanUSC

They never did…just V&A’s…

people spending discretionary cash in a compound don’t tend to be happy being told what to wear…

…the brutal heat heightens that instinct

The ONLY thing I've seen enforced with consistency is the "no hats for gentlemen rule." Bizarre when some of the outfits people wear are far more ghastly than a ball cap.

That was one of the things during my first trip to WDW that both surprised me and at the same time was blatantly obvious. That all the breakfast buffets and many of the restaurants were setup to generate "assembly line" meals with many restaurants offering the exact same items. Surprising because I had heard of the great dining experiences (that was a few years after the dining plan had been enacted) but obvious because - you've got to have food prepared for hundreds of thousands of people a day. Not just prep but sourcing, supply and delivery. The only way to do that and keep a decent margin of profit consistently across all the restaurants is to assembly line the process - make the meals from a central kitchen, etc;

Yep, have said this many times but in the 90s Disney hired a guy named Dieter Hannig to oversee F&B resort-wide. His goal was to give restaurant chefs autonomy to create unique experiences that would drive demand, both from tourists and locals. It worked. Disney had a top-level food scene.

When the DDP rolled out, Hannig left the company and it became all about homogenization. Gone were buffets with interesting homemade Dishes, in were buffets with defrosted items right from the Sysco truck (how many different names can you have for tater tots?).

It got even worse post COVID when a lot of prep work started being done off site, flash frozen and sent to the restaurants (much like first class meals on an airplane).

TrainsOfDisney

The ONLY thing I've seen enforced with consistency is the "no hats for gentlemen rule." Bizarre when some of the outfits people wear are far more ghastly than a ball cap.

Yep, have said this many times but in the 90s Disney hired a guy named Dieter Hannig to oversee F&B resort-wide. His goal was to give restaurant chefs autonomy to create unique experiences that would drive demand, both from tourists and locals. It worked. Disney had a top-level food scene.

When the DDP rolled out, Hannig left the company and it became all about homogenization. Gone were buffets with interesting homemade Dishes, in were buffets with defrosted items right from the Sysco truck.

It got even worse post COVID when a lot of prep work was being done off site, flash frozen and sent to the restaurants (much like first class meals on an airplane).
Even counter service at values has gone downhill. Pop Century used to have grilled to order options (burgers, chicken, fish etc.) now they hand you a wrapped in foil burger fresh from the warming tray.

TrojanUSC

If that’s the only problem they could have created an “every adult must order an entree’” rule. They also found a way to significantly cut costs both in ingredients and staffing.

I've never seen that required on any Disney menu. Last time I was there (January of this year), the menu was a shell of its former self with a pretty drastic reduction in offerings and quality. I hate the idea of a prix fixe meal here, but it has a somewhat decent number of options?

TrainsOfDisney

I've never seen that required on any Disney menu. Last time I was there (January of this year), the menu was a shell of its former self with a pretty drastic reduction in offerings and quality. I hate the idea of a prix fixe meal here, but it has a somewhat decent number of options?
I’ve seen it required at other restaurants though, so the concept is conceivable.

Nubs70

It comes down to people with no class. If you were lucky to get a seating at the best time for fireworks... great. If not, you could come, show receipt and watch from the patios. Why is it so difficult to eat your meal at a reasonable pace, excuse yourself, go for a walk and let the food settle, come back, grab a drink and head out to the patio?? Been there many times and never had been rushed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It comes down to people with no class. If you were lucky to get a seating at the best time for fireworks... great. If not, you could come, show receipt and watch from the patios. Why is it so difficult to eat your meal at a reasonable pace, excuse yourself, go for a walk and let the food settle, come back, grab a drink and head out to the patio?? Been there many times and never had been rushed.
So those darn “customers” on vacation screwed it up again?

…I agree…for being obsessed by gunpowder with a fuse…which I’ll remind: aren’t even framed right there…

the restaurant on top of the poly DVC tower will have a MUCH better view…if they don’t mess up and put it on the wrong side like at Riviera 😉

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Even counter service at values has gone downhill. Pop Century used to have grilled to order options (burgers, chicken, fish etc.) now they hand you a wrapped in foil burger fresh from the warming tray.
..:staffing…covid…

that’s the excuse there. And I bet they are partially right…if they go back

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
At $96.28 a head (plus grat…only the shareholders and Florida/Orange County get guaranteed money)

so while I can sorta see it…the “entree requirement” i like a lot better.

but that would involve more variety to fit tastes…I would imagine.

TrainsOfDisney

I’m amazed they put that in…that area was practically “hell on earth” for decades at caribbean…they needed it
It was the perfect walking distance from the skyliner... nice views of the skyliner from the dining room and a surprisingly unique menu. Fish tacos, Yucca Veggie bowl, chorizo and potato scramble for breakfast. Great... now I’m hungry for all of that PLUS the French onion soup and seared tuna from concourse steakhouse!

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
If the problem wasn’t real they wouldn’t have made this change
You know having a choice of 4 appetizers, 8 entrees, and 6 deserts isn’t very profitable.

Think of how much money can be made if they go with only the following options. Soup or Salad, Beef or Fish, and coffee or tea.

I mean if it’s good enough for United Airlines economy class, it must be good enough for Disney’s flagship Table Service.

TrainsOfDisney

You know having a choice of 4 appetizers, 8 entrees, and 6 deserts isn’t very profitable.

Think of how much money can be made if they go with only the following options. Soup or Salad, Beef or Fish, and coffee or tea.
Now you’re thinking! Remember -

#1 - Disney is a business
#2 - it’s the customers fault, too many ordered the duck pizza and fillet of beef. If those customers had not been so selfish Disney could have afforded to keep them on the menu.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom