California Grill menu changed...why??

joejccva71

Original Poster
So usually the menus on Disney's site are out of date when it comes to some restaurants so I went looking for some updated menus from the usual sites (touring plans, wdwinfo, disneyfoodblog, allears.net) and they don't have any recent menus. I checked Disney's site for the California Grill menu and oh boy they updated it. In fact, my favorite Prince Edward Mussels appetizer is gone, the Cowboy Ribeye is gone, and they completely changed how the Oak-Fired Filet of Beef is prepared now.

The Filet used to have that wonderful Cabernet Wine Sauce that was amazing.

Now it's prepared with: Parmesan-Farro Risotta, Butternut Squash Puree, Maple-roasted Squash (so not one squash but two? really?) and a whiskey-apple butter.

I mean I understand chefs like to change things up I guess, but I'm debating cancelling my ADR for February now because they made these changes.

Thank god they still have the aged gouda mac and cheese because if they got rid of that I'd be writing a letter to them.

Has anyone eaten here very recently? Positive thoughts? Negative thoughts? I really loved the Mussels they prepared here and the Cowboy Ribeye was a hit. I don't get it.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
The new chef changes the menu constantly. I understand seasonal changes in order to incorporate the freshest ingredients, but this chef goes overboard with change (I have discussed this with a couple of servers and management.)

My advice is to hold onto the ADR until you see the February menu. If nothing piques your interest, then cancel.

Jon81uk

The menu changes regularly at California Grill.

Every time I have visited the Oak-fired fillet has had different accompaniments, one trip it was a teriyaki bbq sauce.
Squash and whiskey-apple butter sounds nice and autumnal so is definitely the current seasons update for fall.

Given a common complaint is that the dining plan has ruined a lot of menus by standardising things I am quite happy that the menu is interesting and changes with the seasons.

jaklgreen

Every time I have visited the Oak-fired fillet has had different accompaniments, one trip it was a teriyaki bbq sauce.
Squash and whiskey-apple butter sounds nice and autumnal so is definitely the current seasons update for fall.

Given a common complaint is that the dining plan has ruined a lot of menus by standardising things I am quite happy that the menu is interesting and changes with the seasons.

Yeah, they have always changed it up more then any other restaurant. It can be frustrating when you find something you love, but it is nice to have new things.

CaptainAmerica

So usually the menus on Disney's site are out of date when it comes to some restaurants so I went looking for some updated menus from the usual sites (touring plans, wdwinfo, disneyfoodblog, allears.net) and they don't have any recent menus. I checked Disney's site for the California Grill menu and oh boy they updated it. In fact, my favorite Prince Edward Mussels appetizer is gone, the Cowboy Ribeye is gone, and they completely changed how the Oak-Fired Filet of Beef is prepared now.

Now it's prepared with: Parmesan-Farro Risotta, Butternut Squash Puree, Maple-roasted Squash (so not one squash but two? really?) and a whiskey-apple butter.

I mean I understand chefs like to change things up I guess, but I'm debating cancelling my ADR for February now because they made these changes.

Thank god they still have the aged gouda mac and cheese because if they got rid of that I'd be writing a letter to them.

Has anyone eaten here very recently? Positive thoughts? Negative thoughts? I really loved the Mussels they prepared here and the Cowboy Ribeye was a hit. I don't get it.
It probably won't be the same when you go in February, either.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

Ribeye is a very hard cut to maintain consistency on, so I'm not surprised that it was replaced. Depending on the supplier it is very difficult to get quality pieces out of (too much fat, bone, etc.) It appearance on the menu was also quite a departure from the usual perception of entrées at California Grill (more like a steakhouse TBH).

Overall I've found that the more often I go, I tend to less enjoy the standard dishes that are menu mainstays (pork tenderloins I'm looking at you) and enjoy items that are changed up and a chef willing to mix things up a little bit.

Phonedave

Changing the menu is something that may actually get me to go back to CG.

Hockey89

Ribeye is a very hard cut to maintain consistency on, so I'm not surprised that it was replaced. Depending on the supplier it is very difficult to get quality pieces out of (too much fat, bone, etc.) IQUOTE]
Not really.... Every time I shop at WF, I can get the same quality and look for a ribeye... Every time I got to Grill 23 in Boston the rib eye is just as good... This is just cop out

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

Agree to disagree. WF is not a quality meat purveyor. I partake multiple times a year at the best NYC steakhouse (Keens, Peter Luger) each of them frequently remove Ribeye from their menus because of the inconsistency. Many times the prime beef providers don’t get enough quality.

If you frequently enjoy a ribeye steak you do know that they are very fatty cut. This can make a very expensive cut very disappointing. I tend to avoid them unless the waiter can assure that the cut is not overly fatty.

Hockey89

Agree to disagree. WF is not a quality meat purveyor. I partake multiple times a year at the best NYC steakhouse (Keens, Peter Luger) each of them frequently remove Ribeye from their menus because of the inconsistency. Many times the prime beef providers don’t get enough quality.

If you frequently enjoy a ribeye steak you do know that they are very fatty cut. This can make a very expensive cut very disappointing. I tend to avoid them unless the waiter can assure that the cut is not overly fatty.
Craft steak in vegas doesn't.... Grill 23 in Boston doesn't..... I could go on and on for places that can have a great rib eye on their menu all the time...

I've never had a bad cut of grass fed from my whole WF.... Also, keens may be the most overrated place in NYC so pretty bad example...

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Craft steak in vegas doesn't.... Grill 23 in Boston doesn't..... I could go on and on for places that can have a great rib eye on their menu all the time...

I've never had a bad cut of grass fed from my whole WF.... Also, keens may be the most overrated place in NYC so pretty bad example...

Your certainly entitled to your wrong opinion. :) You lost any credibility with me when you cited Collichio’s restaurant as being an example of excellence.

joejccva71

Original Poster
I'm ok with change but going to miss that sauce they put on their Filet. I'm also a huge fan of mussels and the ones at CG were far better than at Flying Fish. Not saying Flying Fish was bad, but the mussels weren't as good. Anyways, I'll be perfectly ok with the Filet and the aged gouda mac and cheese.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Many of the Signature restaurants (and regular restaurants but not as often) change the menus up a bit seasonally. They keep a few staples always but change it up. Totally normal for CG to do this probably the most frequent. ;)

Hockey89

Your certainly entitled to your wrong opinion. :) You lost any credibility with me when you cited Collichio’s restaurant as being an example of excellence.
That's fine... When someone mentions Keens, I laugh at them... It's ok if you like outdated steakhouses... No problem... Should I post all their poor cooking with their bacon? A third grader could do a better job.

Last edited:

joejccva71

Original Poster
Many of the Signature restaurants (and regular restaurants but not as often) change the menus up a bit seasonally. They keep a few staples always but change it up. Totally normal for CG to do this probably the most frequent. ;)

That's cool. I just wish they didnt remove some of their really good dishes. Quite a few reviews always raved about the Cowboy Ribeye, and that specific cabernet sauce they used on the filet. But they change it. Why change things that are staples and people loved. I know a couple at my work that specifically go to CG for the mac and cheese cause it's some of the best. Thank God they didnt get rid of that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
California grill has declined in quality like all the rest. It’s still a good place...but it’s obvious they have been streamlined and budgeted like all the rest.

Oh well...it’s too late to care now...we’re through the looking glass.

At least it isn’t artists point or jiko...yet 🍕

donsullivan

Premium Member
If restaurants want to keep quality chefs around you have to give them some latitude to mix up the menu with a new recipe they've developed, or a new seasonal ingredient that is available. Sometimes you can't get an ingredient you used to get, or the price skyrockets, etc.. A good chef wants to try new things and change the menu up over time while keeping with an overall theme and style of the restaurant. That is what most people expect from a restaurant like that. if you want the same thing every day, year after year, what do you need a chef for, it might as well be Chili's.

TrojanUSC

California grill has declined in quality like all the rest. It’s still a good place...but it’s obvious they have been streamlined and budgeted like all the rest.

Oh well...it’s too late to care now...we’re through the looking glass.

At least it isn’t artists point or jiko...yet 🍕

Brunch is amazing. Dinner has become a Cheesecake Factory in the sky.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom