California Grill for Fireworks and Dessert Question (50th Anniversary Dinner vs. Dessert)

Hockey89

I don't think the California Grill is bad -- it's one of the better restaurants on property, although it's nowhere near as good as Flying Fish (at least in my experience). I just don't think it's worth the price they're charging, as I've had much better meals elsewhere for similar or even cheaper prices. That's mainly due to the Disney markup, though, and there are certainly many other restaurants on property that offer a lesser value.
Lets be honest, if CG was in a major city with those prices, it would be out of biz pretty quickly. The food doesn't come close to what they charge. It's fine and I go but it's a shell of what it was 15 plus years ago.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Lets be honest, if CG was in a major city with those prices, it would be out of biz pretty quickly. The food doesn't come close to what they charge. It's fine and I go but it's a shell of what it was 15 plus years ago.
Like so many other restaurants around WDW, it got compromised from the original experience by the DDP. People used the dining plan (even after making it Signature) because they wanted to experience the physical space and potentially fireworks at night, but then they complained about the menu causing it to get homogenized to within an inch of its life into boringness. And when you combine that with the need/demand to accommodate every food allergy, sensitivity, preference on the planet you end up with a terribly boring and limited menu. You can only have a set number of menu items and when that gets reduced by the demand for dietary accommodation you end up with very few other choices on a menu. And on top of all that you get guests who demand the menu never change so they can have 'what I had last time', even if it was 5 years ago and you start losing chefs who no longer have an opportunity for creative and unique menu items.

This isn't totally unique to CG but a problem that impacts nearly every 'higher end' dining experience at WDW. People look to visit the location and then demand the menu accommodate what they wanted instead of looking at the menu and choosing a location with food that they'll enjoy from the menu.

UNCgolf

Like so many other restaurants around WDW, it got compromised from the original experience by the DDP. People used the dining plan (even after making it Signature) because they wanted to experience the physical space and potentially fireworks at night, but then they complained about the menu causing it to get homogenized to within an inch of its life into boringness. And when you combine that with the need/demand to accommodate every food allergy, sensitivity, preference on the planet you end up with a terribly boring and limited menu. You can only have a set number of menu items and when that gets reduced by the demand for dietary accommodation you end up with very few other choices on a menu. And on top of all that you get guests who demand the menu never change so they can have 'what I had last time', even if it was 5 years ago and you start losing chefs who no longer have an opportunity for creative and unique menu items.

This isn't totally unique to CG but a problem that impacts nearly every 'higher end' dining experience at WDW. People look to visit the location and then demand the menu accommodate what they wanted instead of looking at the menu and choosing a location with food that they'll enjoy from the menu.

The Dining Plan caused all kinds of issues for Disney restaurants. In addition to what you've mentioned here, it also pushed/allowed Disney to buy ingredients in bulk and ask all restaurants to use more or less the same ingredients for their meals, which is logistically easier for Disney and creates larger profits than having chefs source their own ingredients in smaller batches.

Disney restaurants would be much better off if the Dining Plan was abolished, or even if they would just create a separate tier of signature restaurants that didn't accept the Dining Plan and let chefs run those restaurants the way they once did. I don't see that happening, though, since the Dining Plan is an easy way for Disney to make money.

piccolopat

Instead of, or perhaps in addition to, the prix fixed option, the restaurants can consider a per person minimum spend. This way someone could spend the same or more than the prix fixed but order a combination of food and drink to their liking.

Hockey89

The Dining Plan caused all kinds of issues for Disney restaurants. In addition to what you've mentioned here, it also pushed/allowed Disney to buy ingredients in bulk and ask all restaurants to use more or less the same ingredients for their meals, which is logistically easier for Disney and creates larger profits than having chefs source their own ingredients in smaller batches.

Disney restaurants would be much better off if the Dining Plan was abolished, or even if they would just create a separate tier of signature restaurants that didn't accept the Dining Plan and let chefs run those restaurants the way they once did. I don't see that happening, though, since the Dining Plan is an easy way for Disney to make money.
Sadly, this is correct.... I imagine it will just get worse and worse too.

HouCuseChickie

I understand why they did it, just like I understood when the changes were made to BOG. It just makes me kind of sad. Part of why we're not DDP fans is because we sometimes take an unconventional approach to our meals. We were spending as much, if not more, than people doing a traditional appetizer and entree. For myself, I would often order a trio of non-entrees and then a dessert. Ex. start with the goat cheese ravioli appetizer, then something from the sushi offerings, and then finish with a flatbread before moving on to something sweet. Oh well, I guess this means we'll have to go with this new way should we decide to book dinner in July.

Lorrie Galliher

The idea of going to the CG to just get a desert and a drink so it can be done cheaply but you still see the fireworks is what is wrong with this world. You have people trying to go there to really eat and servers trying to make a living.... Gross
The fact is that in the past I was able to go and set at the bar have an appetizer or entre and a couple of whiskey/bourbon drinks and I can tell you that I was spending just as much money as people sitting at the tables having a full dining experience.

I have no desire to stuff myself with more food than anyone should eat in a whole day at one meal. However, I do love high end bourbon and whiskey and have spent as much as a meal for a 2 ounce pour so that I could try a drink I would not normally buy a full bottle.

UNCgolf

The fact is that in the past I was able to go and set at the bar have an appetizer or entre and a couple of whiskey/bourbon drinks and I can tell you that I was spending just as much money as people sitting at the tables having a full dining experience.

I have no desire to stuff myself with more food than anyone should eat in a whole day at one meal. However, I do love high end bourbon and whiskey and have spent as much as a meal for a 2 ounce pour so that I could try a drink I would not normally buy a full bottle.

Well sitting at the bar is different, at least IMO, than making a reservation and taking a table.

danyoung56

I don't think the California Grill is bad -- it's one of the better restaurants on property ... I just don't think it's worth the price they're charging, as I've had much better meals elsewhere for similar or even cheaper prices.

When I'm on vacation I tend to not look at prices or worry about value - it's about the quality of the meal, and for me the CG is always a great meal. That's not to say that I'm Richie Rich with diamonds on the soles of my shoes. But I know a Disney World signature restaurant is going to be pricey, and I try to budget for it.

Hockey89

When I'm on vacation I tend to not look at prices or worry about value - it's about the quality of the meal, and for me the CG is always a great meal. That's not to say that I'm Richie Rich with diamonds on the soles of my shoes. But I know a Disney World signature restaurant is going to be pricey, and I try to budget for it.
And the quality the meal is blah at best. Look at your steak from Coral Reef. That cut of beef is horrifying. That is the type of steak you get at the 99...

UNCgolf

I agree with the first part of this -- I just haven't had a great meal at California Grill. The last time I ate there was fine, but it wasn't remotely comparable to the meal I had at Flying Fish for the same price. I think Flying Fish is still closed from COVID, though.

Imhere

Years ago we were at CG and I started talking to one of the waiters about whether people really come in and take up space waiting for the fireworks. He pointed at a table by the window with a couple sitting there. He said they came in when they opened at 4:30, ordered 1 glass of wine and were now just waiting. The time was currently 7:30 and the fireworks were at 8:00.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Years ago we were at CG and I started talking to one of the waiters about whether people really come in and take up space waiting for the fireworks. He pointed at a table by the window with a couple sitting there. He said they came in when they opened at 4:30, ordered 1 glass of wine and were now just waiting. The time was currently 7:30 and the fireworks were at 8:00.
Meanwhile, a half dozen other guests were likely delayed being seated because these folks single-handedly reduced the capacity of the restaurant by one table that night. Every time someone 'takes their time' at a table it means another guest is waiting longer to be seated for their ADR.

Chi84

Premium Member
That’s some pretty laid back management. If anyone where I live tried to sit at a high end restaurant for 3 hours with only a glass of wine, they would have been asked to settle up and leave or move to the bar. I’m shocked no manager told them to just vacate the table and come back for the fireworks.

donsullivan

Premium Member
That’s some pretty laid back management. If anyone where I live tried to sit at a high end restaurant for 3 hours with only a glass of wine, they would have been asked to settle up and leave or move to the bar. I’m shocked no manager told them to just vacate the table and come back for the fireworks.
Unfortunately, in today's world, they'd likely be on social media before they got to the bottom of the elevator screaming that they'd been 'thrown out of California Grill' for no reason, and everyone would believe it and vilify the restaurant management. Disney may deserve blame for some of the things people complain about but if you put the energy into looking past the initial report and find out what really happened, it's most often rude or selfish guest behavior behind so many things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom