California Grill closing January 2013

DocMcHulk

Someone has to make the snarky comment, so I'll get this out of the way so we can move on with a real discussion:
DL got Carsland and will be getting a renovation of Tomorrowland and all we get is a California Grill renovation??????

Ok, it's over. move on.

COProgressFan

Cali Grill still remains one of the best restaurants on property. My only complaint about the place is that is can get really loud in there. Between the open kitchen and the sheer size of the place, it can actually be hard to hear someone across the table from you, depending on where you are sitting in the place. Hopefully they can do something about that (sound panels in ceilings, carpet, etc) during the refurb.

The place is still nice, and generally serves great meals, but it does still have some of that 90's ish vibe (as that's when it opened) so it will be nice to see it brought up to current decor.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Wow! That is a major refurb. This is good news for everyone who isn't going to the World January '13 - Summer '13!! ;)

I_heart_Tigger

It's one of those places that I never thought about how dated it was until I saw this post. Once I pictured it again...I think a rehab is exactly what it needs. I'm very excited to see what the plans are for it. A new look and an enhanced menu sounds like an awesome idea to me.

wiigirl

Yikes, that will disappoint some people.
75.gif

Dissapoints me! :(

rkelly42

Glad I will not be there during that time frame, it will be a real shame for those going during this time. On the flip side, these things need to be updated and can not wait to see the end results.

cspencer96

Cali Grill still remains one of the best restaurants on property. My only complaint about the place is that is can get really loud in there. Between the open kitchen and the sheer size of the place, it can actually be hard to hear someone across the table from you, depending on where you are sitting in the place. Hopefully they can do something about that (sound panels in ceilings, carpet, etc) during the refurb.
Before I get beheaded for saying anything about anything, I am not saying this will be a part of the CA Grill renovation. I have no idea anything they are doing, and can only speculate and imagine the possibilities. Now...
There is a new technology that uses noise cancellation systems, similar to in Bose headphones, cell phones, and luxury vehicles, in the restaurant setting. It uses microphones and sound processing software to feed the noise back in to the room, cancelling it out. It would be pretty cool to see this used somewhere by Disney, but then again, anything they can do to improve the sound levels in that place would help, even if it isn't that advanced.

TP2000

The place is still nice, and generally serves great meals, but it does still have some of that 90's ish vibe (as that's when it opened) so it will be nice to see it brought up to current decor.

Some of that 1990's vibe? My God, that restaurant is a perfect kitshy time capsule back to 1995! And the noise comes from all those hard surfaces; tile floors, laminate wall units, composite counters, hardwood chairs and furnishings, etc. There is very little drapery, carpet and textiles used in this restaurant, which is economical for Disney.

California-Grill.jpg

http://www.killingtime.com/Pegu/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/California-Grill.jpg

But HELLO 1995! It's like when you step off the elevator and enter the California Grill dining room suddenly Bill Clinton is back in the White House but can still be left alone with pretty interns, my VCR is all set to tape Friends and Seinfeld on Thursday night, and my car stereo still has the "party tape" I made last summer in the casette player. :confused:

The cosmetic refurbishment and updating of this restaurant is about 10 years overdue, but good to see they have finally gotten around to it. Let's hope they go with a less kitschy and trendy look for this redo, as they've proven they can't be trusted to update an on-trend decor scheme in a timely manner. Instead they should go with a more timeless but still upscale look.

Although, with a six month closure, I wouldn't be surprised if they ditch the California Grill name and theme and go in a different direction entirely.

MickeyPeace

The carpeting and upholstery needs an update badly. Hopefully Disney will let go of the giant geometric shapes and patterns and go with something more tastefully upbeat. The view is the real draw here.

RSoxNo1

I'm checking it out for the first time in September. I'll have to see if I like it more or less after the refurb.

olinecoach61

Some of that 1990's vibe? My God, that restaurant is a perfect kitshy time capsule back to 1995! And the noise comes from all those hard surfaces; tile floors, laminate wall units, composite counters, hardwood chairs and furnishings, etc. There is very little drapery, carpet and textiles used in this restaurant, which is economical for Disney.

California-Grill.jpg

But HELLO 1995! It's like when you step off the elevator and enter the California Grill dining room suddenly Bill Clinton is back in the White House but can still be left alone with pretty interns, my VCR is all set to tape Friends and Seinfeld on Thursday night, and my car stereo still has the "party tape" I made last summer in the casette player. :confused:

The cosmetic refurbishment and updating of this restaurant is about 10 years overdue, but good to see they have finally gotten around to it. Let's hope they go with a less kitschy and trendy look for this redo, as they've proven they can't be trusted to update an on-trend decor scheme in a timely manner. Instead they should go with a more timeless but still upscale look.

Although, with a six month closure, I wouldn't be surprised if they ditch the California Grill name and theme and go in a different direction entirely.
Ah, Friends and Seinfeld, the good ole days! Lol!

Sweet Melissa

I love the food at California Grill, so I'm glad to learn that the refurbishment will focus more on decor than the total overhaul (including menu, theme and new name) that was speculated earlier this year. As for aesthetics, the place is in desperate need of a new look. It's sad when the Contemporary's flagship restaurant is the least contemporary looking signature restaurant of them all. I just hope that the restaurant's layout doesn't change too much. It seems that every time I go there, it's more hectic and casual than the last visit. I'll be disappointed if the new decor includes new smaller tables and chairs squeezed closer together to pack in more people, or worse, if they do anything to decrease the size of the lounge. I so prefer that area to the actual dining room.

I_heart_Tigger

I love the food at California Grill, so I'm glad to learn that the refurbishment will focus more on decor than the total overhaul (including menu, theme and new name) that was speculated earlier this year.

The interview seems to discuss more about menu changes than decor changes. I wouldn't have your heart set on the same menu at all when it re-opens. Generally when they say things like, "we’ll be able to give a fresh spin to California Grill classics, and add some cutting-edge new selections to the menu" and "we’ll be tweaking the menu" without saying "all of your favourites will be here" or "very little change to the menu" there could be significant changes.

Sounds to me like recipes for existing menu items will be changing, some menu items will disappear and new menu items will be added. Personally as long as the quality of food is at the same (or better) level I think the menu updates are a positive change.

Sweet Melissa

The interview seems to discuss more about menu changes than decor changes. I wouldn't have your heart set on the same menu at all when it re-opens. Generally when they say things like, "we’ll be able to give a fresh spin to California Grill classics, and add some cutting-edge new selections to the menu" and "we’ll be tweaking the menu" without saying "all of your favourites will be here" or "very little change to the menu" there could be significant changes.

Sounds to me like recipes for existing menu items will be changing, some menu items will disappear and new menu items will be added. Personally as long as the quality of food is at the same (or better) level I think the menu updates are a positive change.

I never expect my favorites to be on the menu when I return to California Grill. Aside from a few signature dishes (which I do expect will change upon re-opening), it's a very seasonal menu. I've never had the same thing twice there. I don't expect the style of cuisine will change, though. At least not drastically.

COProgressFan

California-Grill.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree this needed a complete refurb and redecoration many years ago! I am glad they are finally getting around to doing it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom