California Grill Attire?

Mr_Incredible

Original Poster
We finally got a reservation for our Sept. trip for dinner at 7:45. We will be heading there right from MK, are we going to have to go back to our resort to change or will they allow park attire cloths? Any suggestions would be helpful, thank you!!!

nepalostparks

This is Disney's official policy on Signature Dining attire requirements:

Dress Code for Signature Restaurants is Resort Casual. Not permitted in dining room: Tank
tops, swimsuits or swimsuit cover-ups, hats for gentlemen, cut-offs, torn clothing of any
kind, or t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics.

Tim_4

We finally got a reservation for our Sept. trip for dinner at 7:45. We will be heading there right from MK, are we going to have to go back to our resort to change or will they allow park attire cloths? Any suggestions would be helpful, thank you!!!
People wear basketball shorts and t-shirts. It's really kind of annoying for the people who dress up. If you're set on going straight from the park, I'd go with golf-type attire. Khaki shorts and a golf shirt should be fine.

I'd personally want to get cleaned up, shave, and put on some real pants and a nice shirt.

Some people wear ties/suits/jackets but that's not at all necessary.

CaptainShortty

Personally I think it is the type of dining atmosphere that warrants something more than "park attire". Of course you're going to have people that do but I think it shows great respect for the quality of the restaurant and the other diners when you dress a little fancier. If you are going right from the parks I would do as the others have suggested and go with golf attire/dressy casual. Khakis and a golf shirt for men, dark (non-ripped) jeans, dressy blouse and "real" shoes (as opposed to flip flops or sneakers) for women. As others have said, you'll find the whole gamut of clothing styles there but that is just my opinion on the matter. Hope it helps! Enjoy the restaurant. It's my favorite on property!

DizneyPryncess

You don't have to go back & change, but I always like to look a little nicer than my park clothes when I go here. It's just such a special experience, I think. But I have seen all sorts of outfits while dining there, and it's all been fine. The guy next to us a few years ago was in a hockey jersey during playoff season, and he was okay. Whatever you are comfortable with (assuming it doesn't go against the requirements that nepalostparks posted), will be good!

PolynesianPrincess

We went in May for my mom's birthday and we followed the dress code and wore dresses. Unfortunately they do not seem to follow that policy themselves because we saw people in cut off jean shorts and tee shirts. It seemed like about half the people there were in dresses or nice pants and a nice shirt. There were some people in park attire though. Personally, I think It's pointless to have a dress code if they're not going to follow it.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
^^^^
I had the same experience, we ate there for our 25th anniversary, I wore a dress, hubby a golf shirt and khakis, and I felt overdressed. I totally agree with you that it's pointless to have the dress code and not follow it.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We consider the Cali Grill more of an upscale experience, so we prefer to dress up rather than go in park clothes. Obviously, not everyone agrees, and we have seen people in swim trunks and flip flops. It would be nice if Disney would turn these people away to get changed, but alas, they don't seem to want to confront someone who is not up to par. Of course, that is just us. We like to dress up to go someplace nice.

plaz10

Our plan for Sept. is dressy casual. The fiance will be wearing nice khaki shorts (could never get him to wear pants in FL haha) and a golf shirt. And I'll probably wear a nice sundress or skirt. Regardless of enforcing the dress code - I'd feel totally awkward if I were the one in the torn shorts/tshirts around nicer dressed people. But that's just me.

The Incredible Schmulk

What we typically do in your situation is pack a backpack with some nicer clothes, like khaki pants, dressier shoes and a polo or button up shirt for me and a skirt or dress for her, along with a couple of things to freshen up, like deodorant and maybe some stuff to fix up the hair. We will store the backpack in the lockers while we're in the park, and then leave the parks early for the reservation at the resort.

Once we get there, we find a good seat in a lounge and have a couple of drinks while winding down. You know, relax a little. While we're relaxing, each one of us takes a turn heading to the restroom to change and clean up. By the time the reservation rolls around, we've had a couple of beverages, we feel like we're wearing comfortable attire and we're cool, calm and ready to eat.

We've done this several times for restaurants like Flying Fish and Jiko, and it's always a nice time. If this is something you think you'd like to do, I recommend using the restrooms on the first floor by the Wave to change first, and then just heading up to the California Grill Lounge to wait for your reservation. You might not want to leave the lounge, even, depending on your seats. It's a great location and you can order the full menu from those cushioned armchairs.

Mr_Incredible

Original Poster
What we typically do in your situation is pack a backpack with some nicer clothes, like khaki pants, dressier shoes and a polo or button up shirt for me and a skirt or dress for her, along with a couple of things to freshen up, like deodorant and maybe some stuff to fix up the hair. We will store the backpack in the lockers while we're in the park, and then leave the parks early for the reservation at the resort.

Once we get there, we find a good seat in a lounge and have a couple of drinks while winding down. You know, relax a little. While we're relaxing, each one of us takes a turn heading to the restroom to change and clean up. By the time the reservation rolls around, we've had a couple of beverages, we feel like we're wearing comfortable attire and we're cool, calm and ready to eat.

We've done this several times for restaurants like Flying Fish and Jiko, and it's always a nice time. If this is something you think you'd like to do, I recommend using the restrooms on the first floor by the Wave to change first, and then just heading up to the California Grill Lounge to wait for your reservation. You might not want to leave the lounge, even, depending on your seats. It's a great location and you can order the full menu from those cushioned armchairs.
Great idea, we will do that!

bethymouse

People wear basketball shorts and t-shirts. It's really kind of annoying for the people who dress up. If you're set on going straight from the park, I'd go with golf-type attire. Khaki shorts and a golf shirt should be fine.

I'd personally want to get cleaned up, shave, and put on some real pants and a nice shirt.

Some people wear ties/suits/jackets but that's not at all necessary.
I guess Victoria and Albert's is the only restaurant that requires a suit and tie.;)

Blueskyze

Once we get there, we find a good seat in a lounge and have a couple of drinks while winding down. You know, relax a little. While we're relaxing, each one of us takes a turn heading to the restroom to change and clean up. By the time the reservation rolls around, we've had a couple of beverages, we feel like we're wearing comfortable attire and we're cool, calm and ready to eat. .

This is exactly what we did when we ate there in January. It was on the last night of our anniversary trip, so we wanted to dress up a little. We wandered out on the walkway while we waited (it was pretty much deserted due to the chilly weather). We saw people who were at both extremes - some in jeans and t-shirts, and also a family in semi-formal attire who had a proposal take place at their table during dinner. I hope you have a fabulous evening!

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Dress well for Cali and all signatures!

A lot of people don't better and I believe it cheapens the experience. Go back to your resort, shower and change and enjoy what should be a fantastic evening topped off with watching Wishes from the viewing deck :D

Crush Dude!

Agree Crush,it's our only signature dining experience,so it's all dressed up for us,all neat & tidy.:)
We will have Yachtsman and Citricos and both are scheduled for relaxing days where we won't spend hours and hours at the parks!

Suited and booted for Dinner at both venues :D

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Definitely dress up for California Grill. There is certainly a trend of people basically showing up in theme park tshirt and shorts. It isn't good for people who are spending $100s of to eat in the ambience of McDonalds.

I would really like to see Disney enforce the dress code. If people don't want to follow the dress code they should eat elsewhere.

Crush Dude!

Definitely dress up for California Grill. There is certainly a trend of people basically showing up in theme park tshirt and shorts. It isn't good for people who are spending $100s of to eat in the ambience of McDonalds.

Agreed!!!
I would really like to see Disney enforce the dress code. If people don't want to follow the dress code they should eat elsewhere.

Mr_Incredible

Original Poster
Thnaks everyone for the info. we will be going back to our resort or bringing our cloths and putting them in a locker!! We cant wait to eat there and see a amazing firework show!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom