Better park?

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
Better park?
Disney California Adventure Park | Disneyland Resort
Universal Studios Hollywood: Can't-Miss Thrills for Movie, TV Lovers

DavidDL

I’ve never spent an entire day at DCA. Ever. And probably never will. There are more options at DCA, but it’s disappointed me so much since it first opened 20 years ago.

I’d prefer to spend a day at USH for various reasons.

DCA was a full day park for me back in 2012. If they had kept going the direction they were during that time, DCA would have likely had my vote. But it's just been one disappointment after another for me, lately in terms of a bunch of IP I don't care about or feel like doesn't fit within the context of the park.

USH on the other hand, has a different context in my eyes as a park and therefore I tend to cut it more slack when it comes to being an amalgamation of sort of random themes crashed together (because it's a movie studio). The attraction count is much smaller but I find the ones at USH are ones I can repeat pretty much all day and I don't feel the same at DCA. For DCA, it's hitting up a half dozens attractions at most and then straight to Disneyland.

USH also has Super Nintendo Land on the horizon, too, so I had to take that into account.

fctiger

This is not even close to a contest for me. I have been to USH about maybe 5 times in the last 20 years and every time I go I'm done after just a few hours. It's never been more than a half day park in all of that time. Yes it has definitely improved with things like Harry Potter, but it's still not something I feel I need to go all day for or even multiple times a year. I still remember going back in 2011 and I bought a day pass and for just $9 more I could've upgraded it to a full AP. $9! And I didn't do it lol. Because after spending the day there, I just knew I had no desire to go back anytime soon even if I can do it with no money. And I didn't go back until 2017, six years later.

As for DCA it isn't perfect but I can go to that park several times a year easily. For one thing the atmosphere still feels like a Disney park which is the other thing missing about USH, it just doesn't have the same vibe. I been to the other Universal parks in Florida and Osaka and they DO. But because they were designed as a theme park first obviously. And DCA just has waaaay more rides I enjoy: Soarin, GOTG, RSR, Luigis, TSM, TLM, MI, Incredicoaster, SS and GRR are things I always must do when I'm there. That's not a big list compared to DL but yet that's more rides that USH has total and that park is over 40 years old now. DCA is half that and has just more rides to do.

And then add in stuff like parades, WOC, streetmoshpere, etc, its even less so. USH never had a night time show until that Harry Potter laser show came a few years ago. It's nice, but its only five minutes long as well.

Since Disney cancelled APs we were considering getting USH APs but decided against it because yeah, I just don't see myself going more than 2-3 times a year tops and that's with much cheaper APs to boot. Decided it's still not worth it.

I'll admit, I'm still not sure buying a full day pass to DCA is worth it, but if and when they do bring back an AP program in some form and they gave DCA as a sole option I would buy it, no doubt. I honestly do enjoy DCA and have done a few full day visits of the place, but clearly not the rate of DL. But USH that still feels like a half day park. Maybe Nintendo land will change that view for me.

Californian Elitist

DCA was a full day park for me back in 2012. If they had kept going the direction they were during that time, DCA would have likely had my vote. But it's just been one disappointment after another for me, lately in terms of a bunch of IP I don't care about or feel like doesn't fit within the context of the park.

USH on the other hand, has a different context in my eyes as a park and therefore I tend to cut it more slack when it comes to being an amalgamation of sort of random themes crashed together (because it's a movie studio). The attraction count is much smaller but I find the ones at USH are ones I can repeat pretty much all day and I don't feel the same at DCA. For DCA, it's hitting up a half dozens attractions at most and then straight to Disneyland.

USH also has Super Nintendo Land on the horizon, too, so I had to take that into account.
This is pretty much exactly how I feel. There are more things to do at DCA, but I don’t want to do most of them. I also get in about half a dozen, maybe more. I spend maybe 2 hours there and will grab some Ghirardelli ice cream on the way out. Then it’s back to Disneyland for the rest of the day. I was very happy with DCA from 2012 to about 2015.

USH, on the other hand, is different. Like you, I cut it some slack due to its size. I also look at it as a movie studio with an attached little theme park, not vice versa. I take it for what it is. Unlike at DCA, I’ll do pretty much everything offered at USH, including the Studio Tour, which I’ve done a million times. Then I’ll either do some shopping or go eat at CityWalk or even better, head to the original Bob’s Big Boy in Burbank that’s 10 or so minutes away and enjoy a meal before heading home. Sounds much better than possibly going to DCA for an entire day.

DLR92

I rather spend a day at Universal with paying $100 entry of one day over DCA.

DCA is only supplemental to DL. Honestly I think Universal is stronger at planning the future of the area. It a working studio with some attractions to leisure off. Their offerings sound way exciting than what Disney is currently offering of the future of DCA.
Disney on the other hand had started potential to rework DCA with it second phase being over. But the change of Paradise Pier to Pixar Pier and adding Marvel was tacky and too juvenile of them. That for me lost it with DCA future. *BARF*

George Lucas on a Bench

I think the ride selection at USH is fairly awful aside from the tram ride, but I also think that would make the trip, along with silvenir shopping. They've got to have some Psycho shot glasses or Bates Motel bath towels in there. I'd like to go soon.

el_super

DCA for me. USH isn't really bad, but it's just not my cup of tea. I liked the tram tour and ... maybe that was it. Several of the IPs they have featured now (like Harry Potter and The Simpsons) just never really 'clicked' for me.

DanielBB8

It's obvious that giving USH some slack means you're not really grading DCA fairly. Two people said this and it's a shame. There's much more to do at DCA than 2 hours. You can spend a whole day there and not get bored. USH is once and done theme park, but you can make the case to stay the entire day at either park. You just get more for your day at DCA than USH. The highlight is the Tram tour that takes 1.5 hours. Then you're practically done after a few more rides at USH. Fortunately, USH will get Nintendo Land. I expect 2022 to be a big year at USH. So maybe there's still hope for the Quinjet ride at Avengers land.

Californian Elitist

It's obvious that giving USH some slack means you're not really grading DCA fairly. Two people said this and it's a shame. There's much more to do at DCA than 2 hours. You can spend a whole day there and not get bored. USH is once and done theme park, but you can make the case to stay the entire day at either park. You just get more for your day at DCA than USH. The highlight is the Tram tour that takes 1.5 hours. Then you're practically done after a few more rides at USH. Fortunately, USH will get Nintendo Land. I expect 2022 to be a big year at USH. So maybe there's still hope for the Quinjet ride at Avengers land.
You didn’t read our posts carefully.

DavidDL

It's all a matter of personal opinion. I've given DCA plenty of chances and really enjoyed myself there around 2012. But right now, I only like, 5 things there and would only want to do them each once at most. At Universal, I also only like about 5 things but I like those 5 things so much more and would want to keep riding them over and over again.

If one likes the things DCA has to offer more, then they can vote for it, explain their reasoning and move on. But just because DCA, statistically, has "more to do" than Universal, does not mean that myself or anyone else, is required to claim those things are better or that we're forced to enjoy our time there more. We get to decide what is more fun to us, not others.

Californian Elitist

It's all a matter of personal opinion. I've given DCA plenty of chances and really enjoyed myself there around 2012. But right now, I only like, 5 things there and would only want to do them each once at most. At Universal, I also only like about 5 things but I like those 5 things so much more and would want to keep riding them over and over again.

If one likes the things DCA has to offer more, then they can vote for it, explain their reasoning and move on. But just because DCA, statistically, has "more to do" than Universal, does not mean that myself or anyone else, is required to claim those things are better or that we're forced to enjoy our time there more. We get to decide what is more fun to us, not others.
Exactly. And looking at the poll, we’re not the only one who prefer USH to DCA.

DLR92

Please don’t call us out on a mediocre park across to DL to begin with. This is our opinion how we feel. No offense it so silly to say you can spend a day in DCA. Throughout my years nothing of my perception will change of DCA quality. Pixar pier never change that. The new offerings at Avengers Campus won’t make a difference either. I gotten bored from post CarsLand. I would only seek park hopper at the parks to justify DCA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom