Cabins at FW sales thread

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
I just saw this on the DVC website.

The Cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort†
The savings below are valid for purchases now through April 1, 2024.
When You Purchase...You'll Save...For a Total Savings of...
100 to 124 Vacation Points$2 Per Vacation Point$200 to $248
125 to 149 Vacation Points$4 Per Vacation Point$500 to $596
150 to 199 Vacation Points$10 Per Vacation Point$1,500 to $1,990
200 to 249 Vacation Points$11 Per Vacation Point$2,200 to $2,739
250 to 299 Vacation Points$13 Per Vacation Point$3,250 to $3,887
†Proposed (projected to open Summer 2024). The Cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort – A Disney Vacation Club Resort is not yet registered or available for sale in all jurisdictions. This is not an offer in any jurisdiction where registration requirements have not been met. Actual inventory offered for sale will vary by state of residence.

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
Price is $225 per point, minimum add-on is 50 points.

Maintenance fees have been confirmed as $12.16 per point. 😳 I really didn’t think they’d confirm that.

tissandtully

Definitely gonna wait for better incentives on this, I'm out at that current pricing, I'd rather buy Riviera especially with those dues.

Weather_Lady

I was really excited for these, but the layout isn’t great and the price isn’t either. Definitely holding off for now.
Just curious what you don't like about the layout. I thought it looked like a modest improvement over the old (enlarging the bathroom and adding an extra sink outside it, adding back a full-sized conventional oven, replacing a fold-out sofa with a Murphy bed in the living area, rotating the bedroom layout so that there's space to access the queen bed from both sides) but I'm sure I'm missing something.

I _do_ wish the theming was more literal and rustic: the furniture, decor, and color scheme veers further away from "American wilderness cabin," and more toward "Scandinavian glamping," than I'd like. There's absolutely nothing about the interior that suggests pioneer days, or the American frontier.

Here are the layouts of both, to make discussion easier. Image credit for the first, "Old Cabin" drawing to yourfirstvisit.net:

Former Cabin Layout:
Old_FW_Cabin.jpg

Redesigned cabin layout:
New_FW_Cabin.jpg

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
Just curious what you don't like about the layout. I thought it looked like a modest improvement over the old (adding an extra sink outside the main bath, adding back a full-sized conventional oven, replacing a fold-out sofa with a Murphy bed in the living area, rotating the bedroom layout so that there's space to access the queen bed from both sides) but I'm sure I'm missing something.

Here are the layouts of both, to make discussion easier. Image credit for the first, "Old Cabin" drawing to yourfirstvisit.net:

Former Cabin Layout:
View attachment 766447

Redesigned cabin layout:
View attachment 766448
The bathroom is now on the opposite end of the cabin from the bedroom.

I also hoped the bedroom would be a real master bedroom but they are obviously aiming at a Studio+ market. Also no washer dryer. And the kitchen is still the subject of confusion - all the blurb says a 2-burner stove with a microwave convection oven, but the art work suggests a full oven.

_CJ

So how much would a week per year be in total (excluding recurring maintenance fees of course)? I’m math challenged today.

John park hopper

When were the “original” cabins built? When we stayed there in the early eighties they looked like mobile homes.

View attachment 767005
"Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground opened in November 1971. The resort has 799 campsites and 409 air-conditioned Wilderness Cabins residing on more than 700 acres of lush vegetation and surrounded by pine and cypress trees.
Starting in 1997, Disney began a multi-year process of replacing those buildings with mobile homes made to look like log cabins."
FYI at on time you could by one of the cabins Disney was getting rid of

Last edited:

bmr1591

At what price point do people just not buy? Certainly we’re close to some kind of inflection point. They still haven’t sold out older DVCs. I suppose they wouldn’t build them if the demand wasn’t there. Buying direct just seems like a forty year long investment to actually get value out of.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
At what price point do people just not buy? Certainly we’re close to some kind of inflection point. They still haven’t sold out older DVCs. I suppose they wouldn’t build them if the demand wasn’t there. Buying direct just seems like a forty year long investment to actually get value out of.

“There’s a sucker born every minute!” -Bob Iger P.T. Barnum

Based on the gushing posts I witness daily on various platforms about Disney, WDW, and DVC, there’s not a price some people won’t pay. But at some point they’re going to both price themselves out of reach for many plus saturate the market.

Weather_Lady

The bathroom is now on the opposite end of the cabin from the bedroom.

I also hoped the bedroom would be a real master bedroom but they are obviously aiming at a Studio+ market. Also no washer dryer. And the kitchen is still the subject of confusion - all the blurb says a 2-burner stove with a microwave convection oven, but the art work suggests a full oven.
The lack of a washer and dryer is definitely an issue, particularly since I think the cabins, and Fort Wilderness in general, tend to attract guests who want to have a slower-paced stay of longer duration (and therefore, guests who are more likely to need to do laundry during their visit). You'd think they'd have at least been able to fit one of those dual washer/dryer machines in the layout someplace.

The comfort stations at Fort Wilderness are great (and a step up in quality from the norm) if you're camping in an RV or tent -- my family was certainly impressed by them when we stayed there in our pop-up camper when I was a kid -- but when you're renting a cabin at luxury prices, it's not unreasonable to expect your own private machine(s).

Last edited:

John park hopper

The lack of a washer and dryer is definitely an issue, particularly since I think the cabins, and Fort Wilderness in general, tend to attract guests who want to have a slower-paced stay of longer duration (and therefore, guests who are more likely to need to do laundry during their visit). You'd think they'd have at least been able to fit one of those dual washer/dryer machines in the layout someplace.

The comfort stations at Fort Wilderness are great (and a step up in quality from the norm) if you're camping in an RV or tent -- my family was certainly impressed by them when we stayed there in our pop-up camper when I was a kid -- but when you're renting a cabin at luxury prices, it's not unreasonable to expect your own private machine(s).
350 cabins with washer and dryer average cost for both $1000 ---nah-- don't think Disney will spend $350000 dollars

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom