Cabana Bay

disneyflush

Original Poster
So I started pricing out vacations for June, 2014 between WDW and Universal today. My wife and I along with our (to be) 4 year old, 7 year old, and two 17 year olds. This 6 person crowd doesn't fit very well into normal hotel rooms as can be expected. Anyway, I've been looking at renting DVC points for a 2 bedroom villa or booking family suites or adjoining rooms along with theme park tickets, food (possibly meal plans), and gas to get there (from Indiana). We want to go for 5 nights and 6 days starting June 2nd.

So the ballpark figure to visit WDW using any combination of rooms, tickets, food options for that week is approximately $4k give or take $500. In that ballpark which is what i was expecting. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

So then I go to the Universal website and price a vacation (we have never been to Universal but have toyed with the idea of going for a few years as we are big Harry Potter fans) and the cost for a family suite at Cabana Bay along with theme park tickets for the 5 days for all 6 of us is ~$1,500. TOTAL.

This seems absolutely amazing and makes booking our time in Orlando an incredibly easy decision. I guess I don't really have any questions, just wanted to share my amazement at the price I'm seeing and being able to save almost $3,000 for the 5 days.

Dog Ate Mouse

Some times thinking out of the box in your case pays off. You are going to have a great time and don't forget to splurge a little with all the money you saved. Have a happy and safe vacation. Uni is a fun time and great experience. Do something different have fun do things you never done before. Sit back and relax because Uni is built to please.

BubbaQuest

Welcome to the other side :) That was pretty much me 6 months ago. What originally was going to be 2 nights at a moderate Disney hotel became 3 nights at a deluxe Uni hotel (Portofino Bay) with park tickets and a gift card. It was a great eye opening experience for me. You'll have to post again and let us all know how it turns out.

FYI, there are a few gotchas -- Loews charges for parking and some have mentioned a charge for a refrigerator at the Royal Pacific. I splurged on valet parking with all the money I saved and was very happy.

neoshinok

This seems absolutely amazing and makes booking our time in Orlando an incredibly easy decision. I guess I don't really have any questions, just wanted to share my amazement at the price I'm seeing and being able to save almost $3,000 for the 5 days.

Universal has become very compelling and competitive! I may get crucified here, but I have to honestly say 4 days is about the maximum I'd recommend Uni for a family vacation. I live an hour away, have an AP and still only go about five days a year including Horror Nights. Even with Diagon opening, I think you'll get your fill with two days at each park. With the 4 year old in particular, I'd still plan on a day at MK to make sure everyone has a great time. Just my honest opinion, hope you all have fun!

TalkingHead

Universal has become very compelling and competitive! I may get crucified here, but I have to honestly say 4 days is about the maximum I'd recommend Uni for a family vacation. I live an hour away, have an AP and still only go about five days a year including Horror Nights. Even with Diagon opening, I think you'll get your fill with two days at each park. With the 4 year old in particular, I'd still plan on a day at MK to make sure everyone has a great time. Just my honest opinion, hope you all have fun!

I think there's enough in the parks now to justify 3 days (especially if you're wanting to save a day to re-ride your favorites like Spidey, Forbidden Journey, etc).

When Diagon opens--especially if the crowds are as bad as expected--I'm guessing you'll need a couple days just to do the USF park thoroughly.

Magenta Panther

So I started pricing out vacations for June, 2014 between WDW and Universal today. My wife and I along with our (to be) 4 year old, 7 year old, and two 17 year olds. This 6 person crowd doesn't fit very well into normal hotel rooms as can be expected. Anyway, I've been looking at renting DVC points for a 2 bedroom villa or booking family suites or adjoining rooms along with theme park tickets, food (possibly meal plans), and gas to get there (from Indiana). We want to go for 5 nights and 6 days starting June 2nd.

So the ballpark figure to visit WDW using any combination of rooms, tickets, food options for that week is approximately $4k give or take $500. In that ballpark which is what i was expecting. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

So then I go to the Universal website and price a vacation (we have never been to Universal but have toyed with the idea of going for a few years as we are big Harry Potter fans) and the cost for a family suite at Cabana Bay along with theme park tickets for the 5 days for all 6 of us is ~$1,500. TOTAL.

Well, that is amazing, and thanks for the info: I will def be staying at Cabana next year. By the way, if you still want to visit WDW while staying at Universal, there's a shuttle service known as Mears that can make that happen. I haven't used that service myself, but I've heard good things about it. Just thought you might like to know.

danpam1024

There is plenty to do for 5 days, especially since CBRs pools look amazing :) We switched to Uni a few years ago- I still price out "Disney" vacations, but NO WAY am I paying that kind of money anymore when UOR is leaps and bounds nicer, better kept and cheaper! Enjoy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom