Trip Report C’mon Everybody, Here We Go….*COMPLETED*

Think of all the joy you’ll find
When you leave the world behind
And bid your cares goodbye!

Ahh, a relaxing getaway from reality. No cares or concerns. Just bliss.

Not exactly a perfect picture of vacationing at Walt Disney World during Spring Break, is it?

But we’re going anyway. We’re Spring Break Veterans and it’s time for the annual reunion.

Two years ago we missed out on our usual adventure thanks to Covid. The stay-at-home vacation just wasn’t the same! (Although you can read about it here: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-“no-trip”-trip-report-completed.964173/)

Last year we were able to return, albeit under Covid protocols. We believed that enduring masks 24/7, plexiglass and vinyl dividers on attractions, mobile order Door Nazis and limited shopping/dining/entertainment would be acceptable in exchange for the very low crowds that we’d experienced on earlier pandemic trips. But the parks were packed and we ended up spending a lot of time at the pool (which wasn’t a bad thing. We’re pool people.)

Now that park capacity has increased and nearly all Covid restrictions are gone, we expect to find the shoulder-to-shoulder spring break crowds of yore. And long lines. So we’re packing our patience and “It is what it is” attitudes.

Because in spite of all the negatives WDW is still our happy place.

We can’t wait.

60EFA200-96A8-450F-994E-B3B9C3BD6048.jpeg

Who: Tuvalu and Em
When: April 3-9, 2022
Where: Our favorite moderate resort

My plan is to go live upon our departure. Fingers crossed that Disney WiFi will be my friend.

Speaking of friends, we hope to meet up with a few. You’ll have to follow along to see if we do.

slipperalwaysfits

(Woody claims he remembers Slinky Frog….hmmmm

The Slinky Frogs are so cool! I just learned something new on the DISNEY page!

Yes, we’ve ended up in the slow-as-molasses TSMM line since they opened the third track, too. I’m not sure how I do DISNEY when I’m really IMPAITENT in all the 40+minute lines!!

Thanks for the picks of RNRC! It’s neat to see it with lights on—but not neat for Woody, who didn’t get to ride. At least you got a LL pass.

Yay! Tuvaleen will be extra proud of Grandma and Woody!!

And yes, @Darstarr — please make the shirts!! We need AA’s working!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday, con’t

We headed out of the park after MMRR. When we got to our room it had yet to be serviced (it was our day for the “light cleaning” and towel replacement) so I headed for the pool while Woody stayed behind and did some work. I had hoped to nap this afternoon (tiredness was an ongoing issue for me) but settled for relaxing in a lounger. It was too breezy to go in the water!

814A783A-AF5A-489D-98F0-449665EE04D4.jpeg

Only a few hearty souls were in the pool.

Woody texted me after our room had been serviced. We were surprised to receive fresh sheets. I returned to our room and sat out on the balcony, both people-watching and trying to figure out a plan for the rest of the day.

I checked dinner availability and booked an ADR. Since we would use Disney transportation we allowed ourselves an hour to get to the restaurant. We began with a boat ride (@lindawdw I really should count how many boat trips we took this week!)

We could see our destination in the distance.

794BA18C-3C34-4F97-83FC-93F438AF376A.jpeg

We used the monorail for our transfer.

BA25C3ED-67B2-4C3E-840B-CCA67C5BEBC8.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Our dinner destination at the Poly.

6A763EE7-15BB-4740-841C-B1D7202C8BD1.jpeg

This Kona we left at home.

A0F760E2-F12A-4DBA-81B8-9B1E3415F57F.jpeg

Along with this Poly.

EA8D44FE-2C60-4B20-A2F9-FA92A48E4E0C.jpeg

But enough about cats, this post concerns a restaurant!

My last meal at Kona was in April 2021 and it was VERY good. I had nothing but praise to share with Woody when I got home. Not sure why I didn’t get him here until now.

We were seated near the windows and I was able to watch the monorails glide by. (Better view in person than pic suggests.)

75A6EBA7-006D-4189-A762-7F922014DED2.jpeg

We were given paper menus. No QR code required!

68F4EB00-03DE-41F8-B4E8-2C8892F5A359.jpeg

What I was looking forward to most was a frozen Piña Colada. It would be so soothing on my throat. Also I never have a Piña Colada except when on vacation. It’s a special treat.

“Would you like something to drink?” asked our server.

“I would love a Piña Colada!” I replied enthusiastically.

I was about to be crushed like pineapple.

“We don’t have a blender today,” she said.

What??!!! I wanted to retort, “Can’t you walk a few steps over to the Tambu Lounge and get me one?” (Perhaps Kona and Tambu share a blender, much like Homewood Suites and Home2Suites share a Mickey waffle iron? 🙄)

Instead I kept my frustration to myself. “Just water, please.”

To be honest I did vent my frustration to Woody. And to Em via text. Her response — “You’re at a tropical resort. A blender seems essential.”

You Got It Yes GIF by NickRewind

Woody had much better luck securing the beverage of his choice. One guess as to what beer it was.

D27BFA10-AE60-40ED-85DD-EAEC863B49B8.jpeg

“Our bread is made with pineapple juice!” our server announced, as if that would be a suitable substitute for the Piña Colada I wanted.

3AE348F1-EAFB-4F85-9BDA-017D777DC865.jpeg

After we ordered our entrées three women were seated at the table beside us. They were dressed fancy and wore leis, like they might be celebrating. One of them resembled Chrissy Metz so much that I did a double-take. Our server was also in charge of their table. They ordered a round of Piña Coladas.

Chrissy and her friends were also bummed there was no blender. (They were a little more vocal about it than I was.)

Last time I had the Kona-braised short rib. Woody chose it based on my recommendation. He said it was excellent.

AE00CCAF-ECE6-4E63-B252-E501E8ABA491.jpeg

I made the mistake of deviating from a sure-thing. I tried the Asian-marinated airline chicken, a menu highlight.

39DD9E40-D702-41A7-917A-8BE17B87E666.jpeg

This dish was blah. What little flavors there were in the food did not go well together and the chicken was chewy. Everyone in Chrissy’s party also ordered the airline chicken. We did not stay there long enough to learn their reactions.

Woody was pleased with his experience. Kona was a swing and a miss for me.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Our dinner destination at the Poly.

View attachment 643016

This Kona we left at home.

View attachment 643024

Along with this Poly.

View attachment 643133

But enough about cats, this post concerns a restaurant!

My last meal at Kona was in April 2021 and it was VERY good. I had nothing but praise to share with Woody when I got home. Not sure why I didn’t get him here until now.

We were seated near the windows and I was able to watch the monorails glide by. (Better view in person than pic suggests.)

View attachment 643018

We were given paper menus. No QR code required!

View attachment 643017

What I was looking forward to most was a frozen Piña Colada. It would be so soothing on my throat. Also I never have a Piña Colada except when on vacation. It’s a special treat.

“Would you like something to drink?” asked our server.

“I would love a Piña Colada!” I replied enthusiastically.

I was about to be crushed like pineapple.

“We don’t have a blender today,” she said.

What??!!! I wanted to retort, “Can’t you walk a few steps over to the Tambu Lounge and get me one?” (Perhaps Kona and Tambu share a blender, much like Homewood Suites and Home2Suites share a Mickey waffle iron? 🙄)

Instead I kept my frustration to myself. “Just water, please.”

To be honest I did vent my frustration to Woody. And to Em via text. Her response — “You’re at a tropical resort. A blender seems essential.”

You Got It Yes GIF by NickRewind

Woody had much better luck securing the beverage of his choice. One guess as to what beer it was.

View attachment 643020

“Our bread is made with pineapple juice!” our server announced, as if that would be a suitable substitute for the Piña Colada I wanted.

View attachment 643019

After we ordered our entrées three women were seated at the table beside us. They were dressed fancy and wore leis, like they might be celebrating. One of them resembled Chrissy Metz so much that I did a double-take. Our server was also in charge of their table. They ordered a round of Piña Coladas.

Chrissy and her friends were also bummed there was no blender. (They were a little more vocal about it than I was.)

Last time I had the Kona-braised short rib. Woody chose it based on my recommendation. He said it was excellent.

View attachment 643022

I made the mistake of deviating from a sure-thing. I tried the Asian-marinated airline chicken, a menu highlight.

View attachment 643021

This dish was blah. What little flavors there were in the food did not go well together and the chicken was chewy. Everyone in Chrissy’s party also ordered the airline chicken. We did not stay there long enough to learn their reactions.

Woody was pleased with his experience. Kona was a swing and a miss for me.

I can't believe a tropical resort couldn't do a pina colada. It is a popular drink. Maybe they should have run to Target or Walmart to get a couple blenders.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday, con’t

We opted to take a walk after dinner along the scenic path that connects the Poly and GF. Not sure how much longer the walkway will be open once construction starts on the new Poly DVC Tower. Although while on our stroll, we discovered there may be enough space to leave the path open. Time will tell.

E6DDD07E-08F2-4FDE-ABAB-11E20A74F15D.jpeg

E565B791-9608-4DB2-94EB-E1719751E1DB.jpeg

I promise we didn’t trespass.

2EF56803-B8D2-4942-934B-54FE90487651.jpeg

091CFA56-E26E-47DF-AF18-FDEA690230D8.jpeg

E10FE394-D8F4-4016-B756-ED925A6B1CF1.jpeg

A7790F91-7A1C-4D06-85D3-68F1BE4E2F66.jpeg

Big Pine Key at the GF was covered with scaffolding as the building is being converted into DVC units.

33A9E7AA-9E9F-48AA-9D23-5284A687D43E.jpeg

FBAFFC9C-C97B-4609-8448-83EC07D49E8C.jpeg

We could have continued walking to the MK to get transport back to Wilderness Lodge, but I wasn’t up for it. We boarded the monorail at the GF instead and then had a blustery boat ride to the Lodge.

A2016A34-E962-4C8C-8254-5A1E942A6F2D.jpeg

I was so disappointed to miss Extra Magic Hours at the MK tonight. But there was no way I had the energy for a 11pm-1am romp through an empty Magic Kingdom, as enticing as that was.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster

pkkurz

Y’all will have to wait a bit longer for the conclusion of my Piña Colada tale. It doesn’t happen until our last day.
We walked that trail a couple of weeks before you just for nostalgia sake, except in the other direction, from GF to Poly and on to TTC. We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at the Poly and went to the Luau. The Lei Lady (rest her soul) even made us real flower leis for the occasion.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We walked that trail a couple of weeks before you just for nostalgia sake, except in the other direction, from GF to Poly and on to TTC. We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at the Poly and went to the Luau. The Lei Lady (rest her soul) even made us real flower leis for the occasion.
She also made leis for me and Woody for our 30th anniversary. What a nice surprise to find them in our room after a day in the parks.

B1A3CD22-9D1F-4D53-8219-9E3CFCE24616.jpeg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
We opted to take a walk after dinner along the scenic path that connects the Poly and GF. Not sure how much longer the walkway will be open once construction starts on the new Poly DVC Tower. Although while on our stroll, we discovered there may be enough space to leave the path open. Time will tell.
That's always been a pleasant and peaceful walkway between the two hotels. It would be a shame if they took it away, to build yet another building. Open spaces add to the atmosphere of the guest experience, IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom