News bye bye bugs: Marvel Land announced, opens 2020

Ismael Flores

If it's anything like what announced prior for Hong Kong as far as cohesive environment building, then it could be substantial. Even though Marvel is rooted more in New York than California but Mission: Breakout! is a random space fortress/oil rig/museum so it's not like it matters.

However, I do hope Disney makes a proper queue. It's much more than having a walkthrough with displays of props right beside one another. Easter eggs and nod-references are not the same as world building.

Something I found interesting in the teaser art is the small reference to agents of shields. Several episodes of agents of shield took place in California and it would be great if they took a chance and also included a bit of Agent Carter.

Those two properties could be the key to linking this new land to the existing Hollywood

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Something I found interesting in the teaser art is the small reference to agents of shields. Several episodes of agents of shield took place in California and it would be great if they took a chance and also included a bit of Agent Carter.

Those two properties could be the key to linking the this new land to the existing Hollywood

I wouldn't hold out hope on Agent Carter, while I liked the series and wished it continued, it did get cancelled.

Darkbeer1

OK, the title of this thread is open to a lawsuit....

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-disney-marvel-land-20180406-story.html

>>
Meanwhile in California, Disney faces only one major licensing obstacle when it builds its new superhero expansion at California Adventure.

The agreement says that regardless of which side of the Mississippi River a theme park is located, "Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name 'Marvel' as part of the attraction name or marketing."

That explains why Disney announced its plans for a superhero land without mentioning the word "Marvel" in its press statements. Instead, the park announced that "The Guardians of the Galaxy will be joined by Spider-Man and the Avengers in what will become a completely immersive Super Hero universe."<<

So maybe we should call it the Comic Book Company that has to remain unnamed Land.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney should just lean in with a brand name more popular than 'Marvel', that is, 'Disney' and make it "Disney Superhero Land." They are, after all, supes appearing in a Disney park.

mickEblu

>>
Meanwhile in California, Disney faces only one major licensing obstacle when it builds its new superhero expansion at California Adventure.

The agreement says that regardless of which side of the Mississippi River a theme park is located, "Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name 'Marvel' as part of the attraction name or marketing."

That explains why Disney announced its plans for a superhero land without mentioning the word "Marvel" in its press statements. Instead, the park announced that "The Guardians of the Galaxy will be joined by Spider-Man and the Avengers in what will become a completely immersive Super Hero universe."<<

So maybe we should call it the Comic Book Company that has to remain unnamed Land.

Avenger Land? How lame. It’s should be called City of Heroes. And that’s that.

Marvel shouldn’t be in the name of the land anyway. That would be like Lucasfilm: Galaxies Edge.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
It’s should be called City of Heroes. And that’s that.

NCSoft would sue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Heroes

Funny thing is that before Disney bought Marvel, Marvel sued the gaming studio making City of Heroes for trademark/copyright violation because their Marvel heroes could be created and used in the game.

The suit was summarily thrown out by the courts when it was pointed out to the judge that all the examples of in-game characters copying Marvel characters were created by Marvel for the sake of the suit.

Hattieboxghost110

Funny thing is that before Disney bought Marvel, Marvel sued the gaming studio making City of Heroes for trademark/copyright violation because their Marvel heroes could be created and used in the game.

The suit was summarily thrown out by the courts when it was pointed out to the judge that all the examples of in-game characters copying Marvel characters were created by Marvel for the sake of the suit.

I'm surprised to see you around these parts Mr P. I thought you never left your barrio at WDW.

mickEblu

I guess I don’t understand how this works. The words “City” and “Heroes” are ultra generic. So nobody can use the words in that order ever again without getting sued? Why can movie titles or song titles be used over and over again?

I would understand them being sued if they used any of the likeness of those video game characters or worlds from the video games in CONJUNCTION with “City of Heroes” but not just being sued for the name itself.

flynnibus

Premium Member

>>

what I always found interesting about the language of that particular item is.. it says it should not allow an 'licensee' to use the Marvel name.. it doesn't grant exclusive ownership of the name to Universal. I read that to mean it doesn't necessarily prevent Marvel itself from using it... as long as its within the other constraints of the agreement.

So now with Marvel being owned by Disney... does that line really apply to DCA?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I guess I don’t understand how this works. The words “City” and “Heroes” are ultra generic. So nobody can use the words in that order ever again without getting sued? Why can movie titles or song titles be used over and over again?

Trademark laws and ideas expand on this if you really care to read. It's not always the words themselves... it's about context and their use. Basically.. you have to avoid creating confusion between the two things... and the laws go into how you qualify that separation as enough or not to create space between usages of the same language.

mickEblu

Trademark laws and ideas expand on this if you really care to read. It's not always the words themselves... it's about context and their use. Basically.. you have to avoid creating confusion between the two things... and the laws go into how you qualify that separation as enough or not to create space between usages of the same language.

Ok that’s what I thought. I had just edited my response to Mister Penguin with the following ...

“I would understand them being sued if they used any of the likeness of those video game characters or worlds from the video games in CONJUNCTION with “City of Heroes” but not just being sued for the name itself.”

I think as long as they avoid this they should be fine. And obviously they would As they would be using Marvel characters and not whatever this video game is about.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Ok that’s what I thought. I had just edited my response to Mister Penguin with the following ...

“I would understand them being sued if they used any of the likeness of those video game characters or worlds from the video games in CONJUNCTION with “City of Heroes” but not just being sued for the name itself.”

I think as long as they avoid this they should be fine. And obviously they would As they would be using Marvel characters and not whatever this video game is about.

If you opened a sub (hoagie, grinder) shop called "City of Heroes", no problem. You open a superhero amusement land called "City of Heroes" and people wonder if it's related to the superhero MMORPG... you got a trademark violation.

OTOH, NCSoft would have to pursue. And since they killed CoH with prejudice, they may not care and won't pursue.

mickEblu

If you opened a sub (hoagie, grinder) shop called "City of Heroes", no problem. You open a superhero amusement land called "City of Heroes" and people wonder if it's related to the superhero MMORPG... you got a trademark violation.

OTOH, NCSoft would have to pursue. And since they killed CoH with prejudice, they may not care and won't pursue.

I see. I just doubt they would have any real case or that their would be any “confusion.” Granted, I have no idea what this video game is about and have never heard of it but I doubt anyone will walk into the land, meet Spider-man, ride Avengers and GOTG and think “hmmm that reminds me of that video game.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom