Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters vs Toy Story Midway Mania!

Better ride?

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
Better ride?
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters - Disneyland | _DSC2156 | George Landis |  Flickr
Disney California Adventure | Toy Story Midway Mania! | Flickr

waltography

Astro Blasters! I'm biased though; Buzz is my favorite character.

I like TSMM enough, but it sorely needs a refurbishment and a few new games. Two whole movies and a slew of characters have come out since the ride debuted, it'd be nice to see them even in passing in the ride.

George Lucas on a Bench

I think they're both pretty bad but at least Buzz Lightyear is an Omnimover with a gun and a free low-res photo at the end. Still, I can hear the irritating sound of those laser guns repeating over and over again in my head and it's driving me nuts.

I just don't see the appeal of the Midway ride at all. I mean, if you like video games, but even then, the control system is absolutely terrible and immediately gives me a sore arm. It's not even fun and it doesn't feel anything like the Toy Story series.

DLR92

I like Toy Story Mania much better. I think the concept is much easier to understand and I found it fun and engaging. I couldn’t stand shooting guns used on Buzz Lightyear. I found Astro Blaster less engaging.

mrfires

Buzz Lightyear is arguably more skill based than Midway Mania, which I’d argue is more centered around luck. Although, as a ride, Midway Mania is incredibly fun to ride as it goes to the next screen. But given that the line for Midway Mania is always egregiously long, I’d have to go with Buzz Lightyear.

Rich T

I love Midway Mania. It’s one of the few screen-based rides that really pulls you into an experience that cannot be achieved with physical sets. The games themselves are fun, very replayable and full of charm. The 3D, the physical effects, the vehicle motion between games, and the music all combine to create a wonderful experience that my entire family enjoys. There’s a reason this ride remains so popular.

I agree, however, that the little cannons and their pull-strings can be an issue. They succeed as a tactile link between you and the virtual world and are part of what makes it all come together, but... yeah, ouch. Push buttons wouldn’t achieve the same effect, and I really can’t think of a good replacement. I think it’s just going to remain a quirk of the concept that will always, understandably, be a deal-breaker to some.

Buzz? It’s okay.

PiratesMansion

I voted for Buzz because it's more dimensional, but really neither are great.

Both were better before they had FP, especially Buzz. Getting on in 10 minutes tops was a nice, now-gone experience.

DrAlice

I enjoy both rides. But because TSMM sometimes makes me slightly motion sick (3D + whipping around quickly = no bueno), I voted for Buzz.

From a parent standpoint, we haven't ridden TSMM very much because the pull string thing was confusing to the kid when she was little. Point and shoot made more sense to her. That will likely change as she's getting older now.

CaptinEO

I think both are only worth going on once. No idea why no park wants to make Toy Story rides based on the movies. Instead it's competitive video games or a random outdoor roller coaster.

Mac Tonight

Buzz by a long shot. (Pew Pew!)

TSMM makes me feel like I'm just being violently whipped around while playing a video game, where as the real sets, AA's, etc. on Buzz make me feel like I'm actually doing something.

Plus, I have never once gotten off TSMM and immediately thought, "I wanna stand in that line again because I know I can get a higher score". Buzz is much more of a skill-based challenge and rewards you with a photo and a daily top-100 overall ranking system that ignites my competitive nature. No amount of trips through TSMM could ever generate the same elation that is derived from getting #1 overall for the day on Buzz.

But that's just me.

Sailor310

I haven't been on TSMM for years because the lines are always too long. I read up on all the tricks for a higher score on Buzz, but I still don't score that high.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom