News Buying merchandise with the intent to resell to be banned at Tokyo Disney, could Walt Disney World follow?

The Colonel

There is also a problem getting merch these days. Almost all of their buys come from Asia and the supply chain is in tatters and freight costs are astronomical and lead times are at all time highs. Its cheaper to be short on merch than order too much and have to close it out. It's not ALL their fault. But current conditions have magnified their stupidity.

JoeCamel

Complicating matter is that he and his family was part of that apocryphal anecdote by Chapek who came only once every five years, so online is their only option
That leaves Joe with the memory of the time he missed out so next time the opportunity presents itself he will snap up anything available. Manufacture scarcity and the FOMO lifts all sales.

Smiley/OCD

Park exclusive items are neat, and should remain park exclusive. That doesn't mean that steps shouldn't be taken to minimize the mass-item ebay resellers.

Disney should certainly limit the purchase number per guest and ask for photo-id in association with both physical address and phone number to be scanned & retained for certain items. Any tickets linked together via Genie are considered "together".

Then, (just and idea) disincentivize resellers by eroding their profits/making it unprofitable to mass-buy. Allow say...five of each item...BUT the price doubles after the first item, second, etc. So:

1st costs $10
2nd: $20
3rd: $40
4th: $80
5th: $160

Then, if a family really, really needs to buy a few of an exclusive for kid's, etc....they are able to but have to pay more for it. You have access to the item, but that doesn't guarantee you get it for the most inexpensive amount.
Yes, IF Disney REALLY wanted to severely nip this in the bud, just require the cashier to scan the customer’s DL at purchase just like you do at CVS or Walgreens when buying pseudoephedrine…it takes 10 seconds at the register…again, Disney has to be WILLING to see this through…

Sundown

Certainly a good idea, Smiley/OCD! But in this case, then only those with driver's licenses would be able to purchase exclusives. And that would probably leave-out non-USA citizens. I don't think Disney can catalogue all the various country's licenses or government identification. And it would also leave out kids/many teenagers. I do like the photo ID idea, though.

JoeCamel

Certainly a good idea, Smiley/OCD! But in this case, then only those with driver's licenses would be able to purchase exclusives. And that would probably leave-out non-USA citizens. I don't think Disney can catalogue all the various country's licenses or government identification. And it would also leave out kids/many teenagers. I do like the photo ID idea, though.
The bartenders do it, its not that hard

Sundown

Another thought. What about with certain exclusives (like the popcorn buckets, fashion branded bags, etc...the ones really sought after to resell)...they can ONLY be purchased with a Magic Band. Not sure all the capabilities of the software behind Disney Genie, etc. But Disney would then certainly have access to data showing "Person X already purchased Item X"

Smiley/OCD

It doesn’t have to catalog all those licenses…the same sku repeatedly scanned with that ID would be flagged.

Smiley/OCD

Trust me, Disney already has SOOO much info on you when you make a purchase ESPECIALLY with a c/c…it can be done, and it will inconvenience some guests, but lately, that doesn’t seem to bother anyone in Anaheim.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Some of the problem is there is so much crappy merch. When items come along that stand out, people would rather buy those, even when there ends up being a premium charged to get access. Resellers get an eye for what things out of the bunch will be popular and buy them up. The better stuff gets snapped up quickly and casual buyers get a choice, overpay for the less exciting stuff left in the parks and be meh, or pay extra on eBay/FB for things they truly enjoy. If Disney Parks tried to increase quality control across the board I think there’d be less issue with reselling.

tanc

The resellers ruined the splash merch. I was pretty sad that park reservations screwed me over getting the last merch drop in August 2020.

I'm not sure if one item a person will matter much, but I don't know if it will do much. Does this apply to a person or a party? Like it'd be weird if you can only buy one shirt or something.

I am not sure if it's possible to fully stop reselling. Although you should have to show an ID for limited items and put on a list for ineligible to repurchase. That's the best way to combat this garbage.

Last edited:

Pancho

if they are gonna limit items per person, tie it to the ticket. one admission, one item. kids 2 and under are the exceptions, but one item per child. still room for some abuse. but a lot less.

Tha Realest

This all assumes they want to do something about this. I think they’ll gladly take the “lost” sales in exchange for the marketing / FOMO pop and an assurance of not having to send anything to the outlet stores.

JoeCamel

This all assumes they want to do something about this. I think they’ll gladly take the “lost” sales in exchange for the marketing / FOMO pop and an assurance of not having to send anything to the outlet stores.
They make the same bank either way

WorldExplorer

All I'm getting from this news is that I'm going to need to actually fly to Tokyo if I want any Oswald the Lucky Rabbit merchandise now.

John park hopper

Disney knows exactly what they are doing by creating limited editions of something they produce a set amount and sell every one making hugh profits and no leftover inventory. Like popcorn buckets they have an endless supply of potential limited edition merchandize. They will never limit sales

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Disney Tokyo intends to determine the intent of the buyer! "with intent to resell" That will require some serious magic. I have trouble determining my own intent half the time.

I wonder if they're going to try and track individuals? Match an ebay account with MDE somehow and use face recognition to deny purchases? But still the poor CM has to enforce this decree from on high.
Serial numbering items sold. Tracking who bought them with credit cards. Random surveys of eBay and Craigslist sales.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom