Buy "Express Pass" That Will Code as Travel on Credit Card?

Sundown

Original Poster
Hi all. Looking for some Universal-expert help with a interesting question.

Does anyone know of a way to purchase an Express Pass for Universal Orlando that will code as a Travel charge on a credit card? Undercovertourist doesn't sell Express Passes.

I know you can purchase an Express Pass at the Universal gate, but that will code as "Entertainment" I think.

I'm not staying at one of the Universal hotels that includes Express Pass.

Could I call a Universal Hotel (not Portafino Bay, Hard Rock or Royal Pacific) and purchase an Express Pass via the hotel over the phone? Or would I have to book a room at that hotel first, in order to purchase the Express Pass? Perhaps then I could book a room, then buy the Express Pass...then cancel the room (while still keeping the Express Pass?)

Also, are Express Passes mailed to you?

Thanks for your help!

Sundown

Original Poster
But I'll presume you don't know of credit card points and that some credit cards show a charge a different way. Some may list a charge as "travel" and some as "entertainment". The thing is, if you have some cards...the reward points can only be used to cover things that appear as "travel" charges.

So, that is why I am asking the community for knowledge as to how one might be able to get this done.

Last edited by a moderator:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Respectfully, RustySpork...why would you say something like "what kind of awful person tries this crap"? That's a pretty unwarranted and cruel thing to say.

But I'll presume you don't know of credit card points and that some credit cards show a charge a different way. Some may list a charge as "travel" and some as "entertainment". The thing is, if you have some cards...the reward points can only be used to cover things that appear as "travel" charges.

So, that is why I am asking the community for knowledge as to how one might be able to get this done.

You're right, I misread your comment and thought you wanted to get the express pass for free with the room and then cancel the room. My apologies.

The express pass isn't fulfilled until you check into the room.

Sundown

Original Poster
All good, my friend. I too would have been a bit miffed if I thought someone was trying to essentially steal an Express Pass from Universal.

You said that the Express Pass isn't fulfilled until you check into the room. You mean only for the Portofino, Hard Rock and Royal Pacific, right (The hotels that include the Express Pass for free)?

But what about the other Universal hotels that don't include an automatic Express Pass? Could I purchase an Express Pass through those hotels? If the pass is purchased through a hotel, I'm wondering if the charge would then show-up as a "Travel" charge vs. an "entertainment" charge?

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
All good, my friend. I too would have been a bit miffed if I thought someone was trying to essentially steal an Express Pass from Universal.

You said that the Express Pass isn't fulfilled until you check into the room. You mean only for the Portofino, Hard Rock and Royal Pacific, right (The hotels that include the Express Pass for free)?

But what about the other Universal hotels that don't include an automatic Express Pass? Could I purchase an Express Pass through those hotels? If the pass is purchased through a hotel, I'm wondering if the charge would then show-up as a "Travel" charge vs. an "entertainment" charge?

That's right, the resorts that provide express for free fulfil the pass when you check-in. I'm not sure how the other resorts manage express, I haven't purchased it when I've stayed at them.

lebeau

Regardless of where you make the purchase, it will most likely be coded the same way. If this is a priority, I would stay at one of the hotels that includes EP in the price of the room. That would certainly be considered a travel expense. I don't know how many people are in your party, but for a family of four you will most likely come out ahead at one of the deluxe hotels. If you're a solo traveler, it may make sense to buy EP separately.

It's been a while since I bought EP a la carte, but when I did I printed it up in the hotel lobby. Not sure if it's still the case but back then they took your picture so I don't think they mailed them out.

I don't think you're likely to gain any benefit, but I would call your credit card company to verify how the purchase will be coded and whether or not it makes any difference. If it does, I would call Universal next.

seascape

Regardless of where you make the purchase, it will most likely be coded the same way. If this is a priority, I would stay at one of the hotels that includes EP in the price of the room. That would certainly be considered a travel expense. I don't know how many people are in your party, but for a family of four you will most likely come out ahead at one of the deluxe hotels. If you're a solo traveler, it may make sense to buy EP separately.

It's been a while since I bought EP a la carte, but when I did I printed it up in the hotel lobby. Not sure if it's still the case but back then they took your picture so I don't think they mailed them out.

I don't think you're likely to gain any benefit, but I would call your credit card company to verify how the purchase will be coded and whether or not it makes any difference. If it does, I would call Universal next.
Buy as much as you can and charge it to your hotel room. If you can do that, it will be coded as travel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom