Busch Gardens

Homer fan

Original Poster
hello, my family and I are planning a short winter getaway in early March, or possibly early April if prices are right. My wife wants a beach vacation (thinking Siesta Key), but I would rather do Disney. I am thinking about proposing a compromise of Busch Gardens Tampa. We have a 4 1/2 year old and a 19 month old. Is there enough for them to do there? Also, will this place satisfy my amusement park craving? Thanks in advance!

Homer fan

Original Poster
So you want a theme park, your wife wants the beach, and you think a different theme park is a compromise? :confused:
Haha...well, I figure it would be closer and easier for her to say yes to...I went to BG Williamsburg a couple times as a kid and it as a beautiful theme park, wondering if Tampa is as good. I know it won't replace Disney, but thinking it would do the trick for now.

Omnikron

For the kids there are plenty of things to do for them. You can spend most of the day inside the Sesame Street area where it's set up for kids 8 and under. Jungala is another place for the kids to have fun. Plenty of coasters for the adults. If you like BBQ then you should plan on a lunch or early dinner at the Smokehouse.

raven

BG has a ton of things for kids to see. Lots of animal areas (indoors and outdoors) the huge Sesame Street play area, a ice show, small rides, animal shows and more! Clearwater Beach is the closest to BG and it's about a 1/2 drive or so.

Omnikron

BG has a ton of things for kids to see. Lots of animal areas (indoors and outdoors) the huge Sesame Street play area, a ice show, small rides, animal shows and more! Clearwater Beach is the closest to BG and it's about a 1/2 drive or so.

The one thing to add is if they are coming here early March/April Clearwater Beach is a nightmare during spring break, pretty much the beaches are going to be very busy.

Bairstow

If you're a coaster buff, Busch Gardens is worthwhile, if not a must-do (so much B&M goodness!), but otherwise it's just OK.
LOTS of stuff for your 4-year-old, though.
The animal exhibits are decent but the overall themeing really pales in comparison to Animal Kingdom.

raven

If you're a coaster buff, Busch Gardens is worthwhile, if not a must-do (so much B&M goodness!), but otherwise it's just OK.
LOTS of stuff for your 4-year-old, though.
The animal exhibits are decent but the overall themeing really pales in comparison to Animal Kingdom.

At Animal Kingdom you have to walk through designated animal trails. At Busch Gardens, besides the trails, there are many, many areas where the animals are right out in the open as you walk from place to place. The shows are very good, coasters are great and over all theme is great as well. Forget the DAK crowds. BG is better all around IMO.

DisneyFans4Life

Go to Disney...stay at the Polynesian so your wife can sit out on the beach and you go to Disney. Or...she can go to Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon and lounge around there and catch some sun. IMO...there's much more to do at WDW than BG. If you're traveling down to FL...do it for WDW...not BG.

Homer fan

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies...these were very helpful, sounds like Disney may almost be as close as BG anyway, therefore may be he best option.

Homer fan

Original Poster
Go to Disney...stay at the Polynesian so your wife can sit out on the beach and you go to Disney. Or...she can go to Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon and lounge around there and catch some sun. IMO...there's much more to do at WDW than BG. If you're traveling down to FL...do it for WDW...not BG.
Well, the Poly is much more $$$$ than a normal beach hotel :)

raven

Lets make it know also that Disney is WAY more expensive than Busch Gardens and WAY more crowded. I see guests every week who say they are "taking a much needed break away from Disney" on that day. Busch Gardens also has a great daily food plan and their food is amazing! Plus you get 2 beers for the price of one!!

maxairmike

BGT's food is pretty good in general, and the smokehouse by Shiekra is phenomenal (easily the best in-park BBQ I've had, every time I eat there). In terms of themeing I think it is pretty much a wash between DAK and BGT. The parks have two completely different vibes and styles, and both pull it off wonderfully. It is a lot closer than WDW to the Tampa beaches (roughly an hour of difference in driving time depending on the beach), as it took me about 2 hours to get to Clearwater from the Disney area. The animal experiences are, in my opinion, slightly better at Busch Gardens (the Orangutan exhibit is great, and the Orangs will even "play" with you at times if they're feeling curious from the other side of the glass. One day one of them was fascinated at the cell phone a lady had, it was quite an interesting and fun 10 minutes or so). There should be plenty to keep the kids entertained, and obviously some great rides for you in the coasters.

It obviously isn't Disney, but I don't think you can go wrong if it's really just a day trip in a beach-focused vacation and you aren't planning to go near Orlando otherwise.

Disneyhead'71

My vote is go to BG and go enjoy Siesta Key. BG is a world class park. As long as you go in knowing it's not Disney, you will have a fun relaxing day in a park with the family. There is a lot for younger kids to do

Bairstow

I still need to drive over and visit BG Tampa. I've only been to BGW. Heck, I need to get out and explore all of water Florida has to offer. I'm getting kind of tired of going to Disney on my free days. Haha.

Add the Kennedy Center to that list.
And maybe Fun Spot, especially if you like coasters and go-karts. It's small, but it's charming, and surgical-ward clean.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom