Bus Safety and Preschoolers

afr117

I've been reading lots of forum posts dealing with transportation, but I have not been able to find anything about little yids (3-5yo) on the Disney bus service. Is it safer to try and hold a pre-schooler on your lap during the bus rides, or should I try to put her in a seat? I am inclined to hold her since I remember sliding around a good bit on my last Disney bus ride. My husband is one of those men who gets up and gives up his seat, so I was thinking that she might be safest sitting in my lap next to the window. Any suggestions???????

Dwarful

Well if its midnight and the bus is packed, hold her, she'll probably want you to anyway, but if the bus isn't crowded you could sit her by the window and put your arm around her if needed.

Upvote 0

crazygirley

Well, from what I have experienced, small children do the best on an inside seat by the window, with a parent on the eisle seat. But since the busses are most often crowded, the best thing is for you to hold onto your child on your lap. You shouldn't allow your child to run around in the eisles, though.

Upvote 0

EpcoTim

Ask the Bus driver if the kid can drive. Give yourself a break for few minutes. They do it on the monorail, and thats a lot more complicated than a bus.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

OH EpcoTim, thanks I needed that laugh, but please don't give my nephew any ideas ....(oh yeah, for a minute there I thought my Cards were going to lose.....to your Cubbies aggghhhh!)

Upvote 0

EpcoTim

Originally posted by Dwarful
OH EpcoTim, thanks I needed that laugh, but please don't give my nephew any ideas ....(oh yeah, for a minute there I thought my Cards were going to lose.....to your Cubbies aggghhhh!)

The Cubs never lose, thats just what we call practice. Or the learning curve.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

When our kids were smaller we held them on our lap. My youngest is now eight and we still try to put her on the inside and she is 4'5" and I always try to keep my arm around her. Most rides we've had are smooth, but we have had to stop short a few times.

Upvote 0

Figaro

We hold our DS on one of our laps. Unfortunately, we learned the hard way. He was sitting by himself when the bus came to a quick stop and he flew off the seat into the seat in front of him.

BTW, the do have junior bus driver licenses, you just have to ask! :)

Upvote 0

Scooter

Parents.....PLEASE hold your kids on your laps or put them in an inside seat....PLEASE!!

One of my pet peeves is parents who let their children run up and down the isles or jump from seat to seat while the bus is moving.

Having been the father of 3 young children myself, (my kids are grown now) I have this tendancy to sit on the edge of my seat, ready to dive towards the kids who I just know will be sent reeling if the bus has to stop suddenly.

So do me a favor and make my Disney Vacation a little less stressful by keeping your children safely seated on the buses.

Thank you
Scooter

PS...I bet Fantasia Boi has some great hyper-children bus ride stories! :eek: :brick:

Upvote 0

niteobsrvr

Rules and common sense guidlines to follow while riding any bus.

1. Children and adults who are seated, should remain that way at all times. There is no valid reason to be moving about the vehicle even while it is stopped at a traffic light..

2. Adults and older children who are standing should be holding on tightly to the nearest handrail. It is illegal to operate a bus with passengers in front of the standee line on the floor near the driver.

3. Adults who have taken a seat should offer that seat to small children, expectant mothers, people with physical issues that make it difficult to stand, and older folks.

4. Small Children should never stand. See #3. Additionally, if possible they should not sit along the aisle but instead next to the window. The seats can be slippery. If they are not capable of bracing themsleves in a quick stop see #5.

5. Very young children, lets say two and under (please use your own discretion) should be held.

6. Strollers must be folded at all times while on the bus and held on to by the owner. They may not be placed on a seat or left by the driver.

7. The rear Doors, even if open, are never to be used as an entrance unless you have been given permission by the bus driver to do so. The driver is responsible for knowing what is being brought on to his or her bus and the only way this is possible is for everyone to use the front door.

8. In addition to the above guidleines please also be aware that each driver is fully responsible for the passengers and their safety while on the bus. If a driver requests that you do or do not do something in the name of safety, it is not optional. A driver is not obligated to operate the vehicle until they are satisfied that it is safe to do so.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom