Bus driver shortages here to stay for at least the near future

ImperfectPixie

I had been on a charter at least once every vacation for years before the pandemic, especially after fireworks. Remember those?

The change now is non-Mears.

It‘s time to relax distancing on buses.

And monorails. I can't help but think some of this could be alleviated by getting the Epcot line running again.
I don't see them dropping distancing on mass transit until that happens in the real world...but that's just my opinion.

plawren2

I don't see them dropping distancing on mass transit until that happens in the real world...but that's just my opinion.
with restrictions for social distancing for large events held indoors fast disappearing, seems like all forms requirements on mass transit (except planes perhaps) will also soon be gone, if it is deemed no risk to set next to someone in an arena for 3-4 hrs, they should not be one for a 1/2 trip on WDW bus

orky8

Honest question, what distancing is there in the real world on transit systems? I'm not aware of any blocked of seats or plexiglass on the DC metro system (but haven't been on it since Covid, either). The only thing I saw on their website is bus drivers might pass stops if can't accommodate more riders. Planes are no longer blocking middle seats.

Goofyernmost

The omnibus still operates on Main Street (Florida and California) and the drivers regularly give a speel.

Strangely enough you can drive and talk at the same time!
There is a difference between talking and entertaining. Minor conversations are not what anyone is talking about. Scripted, or at least partially scripted banter and game playing is dangerous. If the driver is being used as a guide with handsfree amplification is not the same as driving down a road with heavy traffic and people in 2000 pound high speed vehicles coming at you from every direction is not the place for distraction of that degree. When I was driving bus, not on Disney property, I would answer questions and greet everyone, sometimes react to something I heard said, but never driving while trying to play games, tell jokes, entertain or do anything beyond getting people safely to their destination. It did work into a number of accidents, from what I understand, and left Disney open for many problems plus made many drivers unemployed and unemployable as a passenger driver.

phillip9698

I disagree. The jobs on the low end of the totem pole are going to remain vacant until the benefits of not working, no longer outweighs working.

"When the dust settles" meant when everything goes back to normal, including extra benefits. Everyone won't go back to work at once so even when the benefits end people aren't going to rush the crappy jobs, they are going to apply for the jobs with better pay, benefits, and environment first.

TrainsOfDisney

"When the dust settles" meant when everything goes back to normal, including extra benefits. Everyone won't go back to work at once so even when the benefits end people aren't going to rush the crappy jobs, they are going to apply for the jobs with better pay, benefits, and environment first.
Exactly. Right now everyone is hiring! People are going to apply for the better jobs first! Who wouldn’t?

Lilofan

FL is ending the additional $300 sent to impacted individuals on a regular basis on June 26.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom