Bunch of Disneyland questions

David

Original Poster
We are planning our first trip to Disneyland next June. We have a lot of questions, so anyone that can answer any or all of these will be appreciated. We are very familiar with the lay of the land at WDW, but Disneyland is another thing altogether. Our plans now are to stay at Disney's Paradise Pier, using the ultimate Park Hopper.

1.) How close if Disneyland to DCA? How do you travel between the parks?

2.) I know that Disneyland is roughly the same, attraction-wise, as the Magic Kingdom. What rides are at DCA?

3.) We will be arriving at the Orange County airport on a Wednesday afternoon around 12:30. If we go straight from the airport to checking, to the parks, around what time do you think we might get to the parks, and typically how long are the parks open during the summer?

4.) What Disneyland tour books do you recommend? We usually get the Birnbaum for WDW.

5.) As I mentioned, we arrive on Wednesday, then have to leave on Friday afternoon for a flight to Honolulu. That gives us two days to try to see all we can. Do you think we will be able to see MOST of the attractions? Which ones are a must to see?

6.) Would you recommend concentrating eating strictly at fast-food spots instead of sit-down places, given the short time we will be there? If you wold recommend one sit-down, where would it be?

7.) One big advantage to WDW is the feeling that you are away from the real world. With Disneyland in the city, does this seem to take away from the magic?

I know we will have more questions as the time draws closer, so this thread may be the first of many. Any other topics/tips/suggestions that can be passed along will be great.

imagineer boy

1. Disneyland and DCA are directly across from each other. They're literally a few steps away from each other, and Downtown Disney is near by too.

2. find out about all the rides in DL here at www.visionsfantastic.com

3. They're open till around atleast 10:00

4. There is a DL edition of Birnbaums.

5. Yes. Take your time and relax. You can see both DL and DCA in two days with Down Town Disney in between.

6. The one sit down resturaunt in DL that you absulutly ( IMO ) MUST eat at is the Blue Bayou at New Orleans Square. It has great food with great settings with an indoor/ outdoor special effects where its a moon lit night all day long. Plus POTC boats float past in the near by indoor bayou.

7. DL is just as magical as any other Disney park. There is absolutly NO visible trace of the outside world from inside the DL park. In DCA however, budgets were cut back so you could see power lines and buildings which is rather dissapointing.

Hope that helps! Have a great trip. :wave:

ScrapIron

During the summer, DL will probably be open later than 10, but DCA will certainly close earlier.

DL has more dark rides than WDW, so if you like those, including especially Roger Rabbit, make them a priority. Storybookland is much better at night.

maelstrom

Disneyland and DCA are *really* close. Everything is really close. No need to use the monorail as transportation there. Disneyland has some rides that WDW doesn't, such as the Matterhorn, Alice in Wonderland, Canal Boats, Casey Jr. Circus Train, etc. The Electrical Parade shows at DCA. I like to eat at Redd Rocket's Pizza Port in Tomorrowland (fast food in the old Mission to Mars building). Once you get into Disneyland, you don't realize that Anaheim is right outside. It's pretty cool to see the monorail run along Harbour Blvd, though (is it still like this? haven't been there in awhile).

Merlin

Account Suspended
imagineer boy said:
1. Disneyland and DCA are directly across from each other. They're literally a few steps away from each other, and Downtown Disney is near by too.

2. find out about all the rides in DL here at www.visionsfantastic.com

3. They're open till around atleast 10:00

4. There is a DL edition of Birnbaums.

5. Yes. Take your time and relax. You can see both DL and DCA in two days with Down Town Disney in between.

6. The one sit down resturaunt in DL that you absulutly ( IMO ) MUST eat at is the Blue Bayou at New Orleans Square. It has great food with great settings with an indoor/ outdoor special effects where its a moon lit night all day long. Plus POTC boats float past in the near by indoor bayou.

7. DL is just as magical as any other Disney park. There is absolutly NO visible trace of the outside world from inside the DL park. In DCA however, budgets were cut back so you could see power lines and buildings which is rather dissapointing.

Hope that helps! Have a great trip. :wave:

Imagineer Boy's recommendations were precisely identical to the recommendataions I would have made. So I'll just expand on a couple of his:

Blue Bayou is always the sit-down restaurant I recommend at DL. Although the food is not out of this world (although it is good), it's the ambience that really makes this restaurant.

In terms of escaping the real world for the magic, what gives WDW the edge here is that you can go from park to park, hotel to hotel, etc and still be completely immersed in the magic. At the Disneyland Resort, this occurs once INSIDE the park. DL itself is completely immersed. In the old days, the only glimpse you would get of the outside world would be if you rode the Skyway. At DCA, you're never really immersed. For one thing, a lot of the attractions there are ones you find at carnivals and amusement parks. So if anything, you're REMINDED of the outside, non-Disney world.

netenyahoo

During the summer Disneyland is usually open till midnight and DCA till 10. The other questions were answered well, but I'll answer these:

5.) As I mentioned, we arrive on Wednesday, then have to leave on Friday afternoon for a flight to Honolulu. That gives us two days to try to see all we can. Do you think we will be able to see MOST of the attractions? Which ones are a must to see?

I would recommend to make sure you ride at DL - Splash Mountain (get a Fastpass as they go quick), HM, POTC, Big Thunder, Indiana Jones Adventure (this is a must as it is only at DL), Jungle Cruise, All the fantasyland ones that you like, Toontown is a must see, Tomorrowland - once Space Mountain reopens and Buzz opens then it will be a decent land again. Autopia is neat, but Star tours and Honey I Shrunk the Audience are the same at WDW.

DCA: Screamin', Soarin', Tower of Terror, Grizzley River Run, Sun Wheel, Animation are all great attraction and shouldn't be missed. There are many other little rides and Bugs Land is fun to see. If you have little kids they'll love Bugs Land.

6.) Would you recommend concentrating eating strictly at fast-food spots instead of sit-down places, given the short time we will be there? If you wold recommend one sit-down, where would it be?

My favorite Sit Down Place is The Blue Bayou in New Orleans Square - the restaurant is in Pirates, so it has a great atmosphere. Make sure you get a Priority Seating for it. For character meals Goofy's Kitchen is best. It is at the Disneyland Hotel.

JackSkellington

netenyahoo said:
During the summer Disneyland is usually open till midnight and DCA till 10. The other questions were answered well, but I'll answer these:

I would recommend to make sure you ride at DL - Splash Mountain (get a Fastpass as they go quick), HM, POTC, Big Thunder, Indiana Jones Adventure (this is a must as it is only at DL), Jungle Cruise, All the fantasyland ones that you like, Toontown is a must see, Tomorrowland - once Space Mountain reopens and Buzz opens then it will be a decent land again. Autopia is neat, but Star tours and Honey I Shrunk the Audience are the same at WDW.

DCA: Screamin', Soarin', Tower of Terror, Grizzley River Run, Sun Wheel, Animation are all great attraction and shouldn't be missed. There are many other little rides and Bugs Land is fun to see. If you have little kids they'll love Bugs Land.

My favorite Sit Down Place is The Blue Bayou in New Orleans Square - the restaurant is in Pirates, so it has a great atmosphere. Make sure you get a Priority Seating for it. For character meals Goofy's Kitchen is best. It is at the Disneyland Hotel.

Netanyahoo said it perfectly. I highly recommend HM and PoTC they are indeed different from WDW. I like the DL version better personally.

David

Original Poster
Merlin,

I had just fininshed reading the review when I came back to this thread. It sounds like a fun place to eat for the setting, but the meal may not be what you expect. I had mentioned the restaurant to my wife tonight before reading the review and it sounded fun. But, hey, June is quite a few months away, so I will keep this place on the back burner and may give it a try, based on reviews that may appear as we get closer to our trip.

Merlin

Account Suspended
David said:
Merlin,

I had just fininshed reading the review when I came back to this thread. It sounds like a fun place to eat for the setting, but the meal may not be what you expect. I had mentioned the restaurant to my wife tonight before reading the review and it sounded fun. But, hey, June is quite a few months away, so I will keep this place on the back burner and may give it a try, based on reviews that may appear as we get closer to our trip.

Maybe I'll give Blue Bayou another visit the next time I'm there. If so, I'll let you know how it was.

LadyDarling

David said:

The food there is good but it is "park food" which means - don't order something too complicated. If you want to have a great dining experience in the parks, try to keep your order to things that are hard to screw up. The Monte Cristo sandwich is a lunch favorite of many. And their desserts are great! If you just want to stop in for the atmosphere, why not make a later reservation and stop in for some Mint Juleps (with free refills!!!) and dessert? :) I was just there last month and it wasn't too bad, but it is a "hit or miss" sort of restruant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom