Bucket List. First timer, traveling with a cancer patient, in need of your sage advice. :)

Melisande

Original Poster
Hi all, huge Disney lover and mom of a huge Disney lover here. Been to the parks in LA and Paris, but never been to the Mother Ship! I am planning a trip for and with my little sister - she is a stage four cancer patient - this is a Bucket List item. The map is huge and confusing, can anyone help with advice on where to stay? We want close access of course but what we are really looking for is 'Disney magic;' can you advise? We are traveling without kids. We want beauty and peace, an escape from the real world of city life and hospitals.....yes, it is a lot to ask. Planning for four days so she doesn't get too exhausted. Which hotel is the most 'grown-up lovely' kind of retreat into the World of Disney? I appreciate your input. Thank you!

ladydi

Poly. But if you plan on lots of time at Epcot and DHS-Boardwalk. We took my dad when he had cancer and got him a scooter for the week which really helped as he was between chemo treatments and was not up to the walking. Best of luck and enjoy your trip!

Hi all, huge Disney lover and mom of a huge Disney lover here. Been to the parks in LA and Paris, but never been to the Mother Ship! I am planning a trip for and with my little sister - she is a stage four cancer patient - this is a Bucket List item. The map is huge and confusing, can anyone help with advice on where to stay? We want close access of course but what we are really looking for is 'Disney magic;' can you advise? We are traveling without kids. We want beauty and peace, an escape from the real world of city life and hospitals.....yes, it is a lot to ask. Planning for four days so she doesn't get too exhausted. Which hotel is the most 'grown-up lovely' kind of retreat into the World of Disney? I appreciate your input. Thank you!
Sorry to read about your sister.

For me, nothing beats staying at the Contemporary with the theme park view. And you can walk to MK from the contemporary, as well as ride the iconic monorail which goes right through the building and will take you to Epcot.

The other poster before me mentioned the Poly, and that would be my second choice. Picking a monorail resort, I think is really key.

Maybe split between the two?

jonnyc

For me the ultimate escape would be stopping at Animal Kingdom Lodge - it is really detached from the hustle and bustle of the parks, three great dining options in Jambo House (with Sanaa a short bus journey away at Kidani Village) and generally a great place to unwind after being at the parks - and lots of opportunities to sit relax and enjoy the view across the savanna.

That being said, the trade off is that all the parks are a decent length bus journey away, so you'd need to be prepared for 20+ minute bus journey to each park.

If the key to your trip is spending time in the parks then if you are planning to spend majority of your time at Magic Kingdom, you couldn't go wrong by stopping at Poly or Wilderness Lodge (if you want a bit more of an 'escape') or if you are Epcot/DHS enthusiasts, I'd recommend the Boardwalk.

I don’t stay in deluxe resorts, so can’t give advice about them individually, as far as which would give you the “beauty and peace” and escape you’re seeking. But solely based on logistics and the details you provided, I agree Contemporary or Polynesian due to their proximity to Magic Kingdom and the monorail, which also means easy access to Epcot. You can also view fireworks from those resorts, if the late evenings or high crowds within MK are a concern.

I hope you have a great trip!

tpoly88

very sorry to hear about your sister and i think its wonderful youre going with her. My favorite by MK is the contemporary but be careful at the contemporary as they are doing a big renovation and that might not be the place you want. the Poly is always a good fit as its closest to MK beside the GF and Contemp but they are doing construction there too and the monorail is only available at the TTC. someone mentioned the Boardwalk or YC/BC as its close to epcot and DHS to walk or with either using a scooter or take the boat to either. Animal kingdom lodge is great but a lot of getting on and off the bus or taking an uber.

heapster411

So, So Sorry about your sister, my prayers are with her. Now IMHO the best resort that screams " Beauty and Peace" is the Wilderness Lodge. The vastness of the lobby, the greenery of the grounds, puts you at ease. Even though you're at WDW, the WL helps you step back from the hustle and bustle. Transportation is a little sketchy, but the boat ride to the MK is great. You can also take a boat to the Contemporary and grab the monorail to the TTC, which you can take to Epcot. Enjoy the time and the trip!

LAM378

I’m surprised I’m the first one singing its praises, but GF. You want grown up lovely, you’ll find it there. A lot of people say it’s overrated (I say it sometimes, too) but it’s still a cut above the other resorts. The best of the best CMs, beautiful expanses of greenery, and an overall peaceful atmosphere. You’ve got views of the castle and the lagoon and the fireworks. You’re right there in the magic, but it’s like you’re in a different world. It’s compact, meaning it’s never a far walk to get to the main building and the amenities, but it doesn’t feel crowded.

I’d say Poly second, and it’s also lovely but very different. The Brady Bunch goes to Hawaii vibe wears on me after a few days staying there, and it always feels crowded to me.

Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk are also beautiful and have easy access to Epcot and HS. It’s a big walkable loop over there. Those are my favorites, but if I was looking for magic above all, GF would be my pick.

My blessings to you and your sister and your family. I hope you all have the best trip.

HouCuseChickie

I'm sorry to hear about your sister. One of the Monorail MK area resorts or the Epcot resorts would be high on my list. Yacht Club and the Grand Floridian were the first things coming to mind for me. It's Disney, so nothing is going to be completely peaceful and grown up, but I always feel like things are a little bit more quiet at those two...while still being very close to parks. As much as I love the Contemporary, it often feels pretty chaotic to me in the tower and the Polynesian seems to see quite a bit of foot traffic as well. With the IP based rethemes at the Poly and Contemporary, I also put the GF as the better option for your plans if you want MK area. For the Epcot area, Beach Club and Boardwalk aren't particularly crazy and are a closer walk to Epcot, but Yacht Club...which is still a short walk, always feels more sedate to me.

So, I'd pick GF or YC if it were me. If you think she'd enjoy a theme park view and watching MK fireworks from the balcony along with the Electrical Water Pageant, I'd give the edge to the GF. Not that staying near Epcot isn't magical, but I could see relaxing on my balcony...away from the crowds...while still being able to appreciate the best of the evening festivities to be pretty magical. Best wishes to you all.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
If you stay at Poly - you can walk to GF in about 10 minutes (depending on where your room is actually located). So you get to enjoy both resorts. Same over at Boardwalk with YC/BC and Boardwalk.

The "Disney" is probably going to better at Poly or GF as you'll see the monorails consistently, have a view of the castle continually, and get some add-ons with the water parade, The Luau, and better Disney (meaning IP) theming in the public areas than you will at the Boardwalk resorts. I'd go Poly.

ppet

Sorry to hear of your sister's struggles. If I want to feel detached from the world nothing beats Wilderness lodge to me. It may be that the boat trip to Magic Kingdom is a more peaceful route. My luck with the Monorail always runs to pushy crowds and people. Regardless of where you stay may you and your sister have the best time.

JohnD

So, the Polynesian Resort is closer to the MK?

Polynesian, Grand Floridian, and Contemporary are all accessible by monorail. From the type of resort you're seeking to get away from everything, Poly seems to fit the bill. But if you want the most immediate access to MK, then Grand Floridian as the resort monorail goes clockwise around Seven Seas Lagoon and MK is the next stop. Just remember that on the monorail GF is the longest return when you leave but it is the first stop if you take the boat back to the resort. Poly is the second stop for the boat.

LovePop

Adult trip. Been to LA and Paris Disneyland. Close access. Beauty and Peace. Disney Magic. 4 nights.

Deluxe option: Yacht Club. Beautiful rooms, highest ranked pool, walk to Epcot (10 minutes) and Hollywood Studios (20 min), or boat, short bus ride to Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom. Lots of quiet rooms. I don't recommend the monorail hotels because you've been to Disneyland in LA and Paris, and Magic Kingdom is similar to them, so I think it's more beneficial for you to be close to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Especially Epcot, which is huge and cannot be reproduced by any other Disneyland. And if you stay there, you are close to numerous restaurants nearby as well as those inside Epcot. Boardwalk also has beautiful rooms, but it doesn't have a food court (I think it's the only Disney hotel without one). I found that inconvenient. Swan and Dolphin are very nice, but I don't find them very magical. They feel more like generic 4 star hotels: fancy, but not particularly Disney.

Moderate Option: Caribbean Beach Resort. Very beautiful and quiet, fast and convenient Skyliner access to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, about $200 cheaper than Yacht Club. Numerous quiet pools, beautiful lake. Bus ride to MK takes 20 minutes. Skyliner lines are long during park openings and closings.

Value Option: Pop Century or Art of Animation (sleeps 6, 2 bathrooms), easy Skyliner access to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, extremely magical with 3-story high statues of Disney figures. They also have Murphy (wall) beds that you pull down at night, and during the day you push it into the wall and it becomes a table, leaving extra floor space. I find that magical!

Animal Kingdom Lodge is a great option if you are into animals. However, you cannot walk to any park.

In the end, it doesn't matter which WDW hotel you stay in, they are all full of Disney magic. There's something about it that you just won't feel in other hotels, not even Disneyland hotels. It's just the immense size, the overwhelming atmosphere, the number of happy people going around, all of which produces a tremendous feeling every moment you are there.

UNCgolf

Animal Kingdom Lodge is by far the best hotel on property. It's unique, beautiful, and has the best standard dining of any resort (Grand Floridian takes best dining overall because of Victoria and Albert's, but that's not really something for the vast majority of guests).

With that said, while it's closer to Animal Kingdom, it's farther away from the other three parks, so transportation can be an issue. You could always just use Lyft/Uber and not worry about it, though.

If you wanted to be at the Magic Kingdom and on the monorail loop, I think Grand Floridian is the best option. If you want to be close to EPCOT and/or Hollywood Studios, my vote would be for the Boardwalk Inn, but the Beach/Yacht Club are good options too and all three of them are located in essentially the same place.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
I'm going to agree with others on staying in the Epcot area and would recommend staying at the Yacht Club/Beach Club Resort or Beach Club Villas. You'll be close to Epcot and DHS, with transportation to Magic Kingdom. The resort is bright, relaxing and Beachy.
If you want another resort area that is peaceful and relaxing, Animal Kingdom Lodge or Jambo House! A Savanna View room will provide you views of many animals throughout the day/ night. This resort does make one feel they are away from the city and provide a sense of peace with nature.

aliceismad

I think several of the deluxe resorts would fit for your needs. I would choose based on budget, what theme you enjoy the most, and which parks you'd like to visit. Beach/Yacht Club has a nice boat to Epcot and DHS. While not the fastest, it is leisurely. If you want to spend most of your time at Magic Kingdom, I would definitely look at Poly or Grand Floridian. They have beautiful grounds, nice pools, monorail to MK, and lovely atmospheres.

I'm very sorry about your sister. Have you looked into the DAS service for her while you're there? Not sure about her limitations, but that might make the trip more enjoyable for you. https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/disney-parks-disability-access-service-card-fact-sheet/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom