Btmrr

kbmb

Original Poster
Big Thunder Railroad

Hey, what's been going on with Big Thunder Mountain Railroad? I heard it's been closing alot lateley. Someone also said it might go down for rehab in September.

Anyone have any more details?

-k

ucf disneyfan

For the last few days Thunder has only been running about 3 hours a day. Theres been a problem with one of the sensors on one of the lifts. Maintenence replaced the sensor last week but for some reason the ride isn't callibrating right with the sensor. You'd think with a ride thats 25 years old they'd be able to fix little problems like this.

And as for the rehab, Thunder will be closing down in the fall and I'm about 90% sure that one of the main reasons is to widden the queue to make it wheelchair accessable.

FLcastmember

let me clarify a few things.....

1. Yes, BTM has been having a lot of problems lately, and has not been running much over the last few days, but they think they have fixed the problem, and all should be well for the this summer.

2. THE REHAB. I have mentioned it before on other sites (do a thread such for WDW updates) But basically, mid to late august BTM will have a rehab, and will not reopen till late November, right before thanksgiving.

3. Nothing about the ride itself will be changing, mostly software and hardware inhancements and updates, plus cleaning and painting and that sorta general refurbishment.

4. THE QUEUE will be getting a slight redisign, BUT will not become wheelchair accesable. This is because the ramp is to steep for ADA standards, not becasue the queue lines are to narrow. Plus how would you get the wheelchair (or ECV?) from the load side to the unload side after the guest boarded??

5. Currently all 6 trains are going down for mine rehabs one by one, to install 5 inch high permentent doors, to keep guests from sticking their feet out. There are already some trains done, running with these new doors. Also, some trains will have one row that will have these door movable to allow for easier boarding and deboarding for guests with disabilities.

hope this helps

Mr. Toad

Between 6/4 and 6/10 we tried to ride it on three different days. Only once was it shut down (and it was later in the day). On the other days we were able to ride it multiple times.

mickeysaver

Originally posted by FLcastmember
THE REHAB. I have mentioned it before on other sites (do a thread such for WDW updates) But basically, mid to late august BTM will have a rehab, and will not reopen till late November, right before thanksgiving.

Thank you! I really love this ride and would hate to have to miss Osborne Lights and my favorite ride both this trip. Mickey

Katherine

All good disney rides have to go through a rehab at some point. I'm glad they are giving it a "face lift"!

I agree the queue needs to get done differently I love the theming and stuff but I think it's a little unorganized. I'm just glad it's not being shut down(I don't see why disney would though because it's so popular).

surfsupdon

Originally posted by mickeysaver
Thank you! I really love this ride and would hate to have to miss Osborne Lights and my favorite ride both this trip. Mickey

DONT TLAK LIKE THAT!! I know the Lights will be up, positive thinking helps me!!

LivefortheMouse

OH no someone do something. This is my favorite ride maybe because its the first roller coster my dad allowed me to ride. I am going to disney from the week of aug15- 19 though i am glad the ride is getting a rehab so it can continue operating,i want for the rehab to start after i leave. please someone tell a ceo or something.:lol:

mickeysaver

Originally posted by surfsupdon
DONT TALK LIKE THAT!! I know the Lights will be up, positive thinking helps me!!

You know, I would love to have a positive attitude about this, I would rather get a last minute gift from Disney and go ahead and plan for it to not be there. I can always find time to do it, but it stinks to get my hopes up and then be disappointed......again. Mickey

Sir Hiss527

Originally posted by ucf disneyfan
For the last few days Thunder has only been running about 3 hours a day. Theres been a problem with one of the sensors on one of the lifts. Maintenence replaced the sensor last week but for some reason the ride isn't callibrating right with the sensor. You'd think with a ride thats 25 years old they'd be able to fix little problems like this.

And as for the rehab, Thunder will be closing down in the fall and I'm about 90% sure that one of the main reasons is to widden the queue to make it wheelchair accessable.

Fianally we have someone that works in Frontierland. Welcome! Whatever Disney has to do, DO IT!

ucf disneyfan

Latest I heard Thunder is running a lot more smoothly. They other day they replaced about 4000 ft of wiring throughout the mountain and I think all the sensors have been replaced. Hopefully their problems should be over.

whatwouldwaltdo

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for BTMR to be open the last week of August. We're bringing a newbie and it would be a bummer to have her miss out on this one.

Langdonj

If by some Disney Magic, during the rehab of BTMRR an old paperback copy of The Two Towers in a zip lock bag turns up in some nook or cranny, let me know. (I know :brick: ) It would have great sentimental value to my son. I have found that reading to my son during the wait in line makes the line go quickly. Sometimes we even get to the ride and are tempted to let someone go ahead so we can complete a page. :hammer:

(You're all the greatest!):sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom