BTMRR crashes again at Disneyland

civileng68

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad crashed again this weekend at Disneyland.

2 operators running the ride for test runs after closing were not paying attention and while one train was stopped on the track they put another out and they crashed into each other, badly damaging both trains.

The operators were held off of the ride until they could be retrained. The ride was open Sunday morning with different trains.

Lee

Adventurer
Not exactly.
The ride e-stopped due to a malfunction with the air gates in the station, between 8:30 and 9pm.
All guests were removed from the ride and queue.
While resetting the attraction, an operator activated the third lift hill, not realizing that a train was sitting in the final block zone.
The released train hit the stationary train, damaging both.

Not a big deal. Not a problem with the ride. Never happen with guests on the ride.

civileng68

Account Suspended
Original Poster

Originally posted by Lee
Not exactly.
The ride e-stopped due to a malfunction with the air gates in the station, between 8:30 and 9pm.
All guests were removed from the ride and queue.
While resetting the attraction, an operator activated the third lift hill, not realizing that a train was sitting in the final block zone.
The released train hit the stationary train, damaging both.

Not a big deal. Not a problem with the ride. Never happen with guests on the ride.

regardless of whether this happened with guest on it or not, I think it's incorrect to say it wouldnt happen with guest.

No, this specific instance may not, but I find it a little worrysome that the whole "slip of mind" happened with something like that.

No way this is made light of, this is no small incident.

andromedaslove

No one was on the trains and no one was injured. However, I think people are making a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be. What happened is a guest pushed open one of the gates which automatically stopped one of the trains. When they reset the computer it also resets the safety signals that should have kept the two trains from colliding. Basically the computer forgot there was still a train on the tracks and the CM's also forgot to pull all of the trains into the station. This is NOT something that would have happened with guests on because they wouldn't have done a reset like this without evacuating all of the guests. At least this is the way I have understood it.

FireFly725

Re: .

Originally posted by civileng68
regardless of whether this happened with guest on it or not, I think it's incorrect to say it wouldnt happen with guest.

No, this specific instance may not, but I find it a little worrysome that the whole "slip of mind" happened with something like that.

No way this is made light of, this is no small incident.

But it really isn't a big deal. During normal operation, the block brakes and stuff aren't controlled by CM's, they are controlled by computers. So there isn't any worry of "slip of mind" while you're riding it.

JackSkellington

Re: Re: .

Originally posted by FireFly725
But it really isn't a big deal.

Are you kidding? This is not a major accident, but it is still bad. I mean even though no one got hurt this should not have happened. It was a human error, which brings up the question whether Disney properly trains its ride operators. The last time training was a problem people were killed on the Mark Twain. So Disney needs to train these people. And look at the "Is BTMRR jinxed" thread. We have been all over this for days.

ToTBellHop

Quit being ridiculous. When two trains crash on a ride where a guest died 7 months ago, IT IS A BIG DEAL. How can you possibly think that the fact that this happened in plain view of park guests will not have a very bad impact on Disneyland's image just one month after Big Thunder reopened. I'm sure it was an honest mistake, but it is a problem. Roller coasters are not supposed to crash regardless of whether or not guests are riding.

FireFly725

Originally posted by ISTCNavigator57
Quit being ridiculous. When two trains crash on a ride where a guest died 7 months ago, IT IS A BIG DEAL. How can you possibly think that the fact that this happened in plain view of park guests will not have a very bad impact on Disneyland's image just one month after Big Thunder reopened. I'm sure it was an honest mistake, but it is a problem. Roller coasters are not supposed to crash regardless of whether or not guests are riding.

Excuse me? I never said anything about the impact on park's image.

So just because this happened right after a serious crash, it is a big deal? It was bad timing, it had nothing to do with the 9/5 tragedy. I'm not saying it excuses what happened, but I think it's being blown out of proportion.

ToTBellHop

I'm not sure how this is being blown out of proportion. How is it not a big problem that this ride has managed to crash twice within 7 months? How could anyone expect people to ignore that? This is Disney. People wouldn't ignore something like this at a Six Flags park, let alone Disneyland. They clearly need to install more brakes along the track for emergencies, and sensors throughout the track so that the computers are never in a situation where they lose track of trains due to a reboot and have no way of stopping the train.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom