Brush fire near Disney property

TarzanRocked99-

Original Poster
I know it has been dry around here lately, but I was hoping it wouldn't lead to brush fires like we had in 98 and 2001. Anyway I was on Everest a few times this evening and saw that old familiar black smoke rising up from it looked like to the douth east of Downtown Disney. I drove around that way to get home and I know that the fire was indeed off disney property, but it looks like it is around the Grand Lakes resort area. Do any of you other locals know where the fire is actually??

WDWGuide

We do have mild La Nina conditions currently. The winter here in north-central Florida has been unusually wet actually, but the last few weeks were very dry. And since Orlando doesn't get as much winter rain, I can imagine that some fires will spread in the area. It shouldn't be as bad as a few years ago - those fires came on the tail of major droughts that lasted several years.

TarzanRocked99-

Original Poster
ok I have an answer to my own question the fire was in the Hunters Creek area and was burning on an area of aroun 65 acres which would account for the abundence of smoke. I believe that they just got it out. Lets hope this isn't just the start of these babies again.

jessevee

I am a meteorology student here in Florida, and we have been studying how dry it has been here in Central Florida this winter. My teacher seems to believe the fires could start again this April-May (dry season).

Magic Maker

I was working at the Downtown Disney Marketplace DVC Info Desk and a few Guests asked if there was a fire. You could smell smoke a little bit.

And when I drove into work this morning I noticed how brown the grass around the on property roads was pretty brown.

speck76

TarzanRocked99- said:
I know it has been dry around here lately, but I was hoping it wouldn't lead to brush fires like we had in 98 and 2001. Anyway I was on Everest a few times this evening and saw that old familiar black smoke rising up from it looked like to the douth east of Downtown Disney. I drove around that way to get home and I know that the fire was indeed off disney property, but it looks like it is around the Grand Lakes resort area. Do any of you other locals know where the fire is actually??

It is in Hunter's Creek....right near my place.....NOWHERE near Disney

WDWKat26

Where specifically in hunter's creek? I live in Hunter's creek and I saw the smoke yesterday when I was at Epcot, but I didn't hear of anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom