Brother Bear #2 this week

Goofster

Originally posted by dylan0511
Yep..if it was a 3 day opening it would have been number 1.

right you are, saturday and sunday brother bear beat out Scary Movie 3, but unfortunately the 2 days couldn't pile up high enough to beat scary movie. I bet the disney guys are still high fiving each other, friday might not have had a huge turnout.

TURKEY

Originally posted by Goofster
right you are, saturday and sunday brother bear beat out Scary Movie 3, but unfortunately the 2 days couldn't pile up high enough to beat scary movie. I bet the disney guys are still high fiving each other, friday might not have had a huge turnout.

I'm sure they are. Having the top 2 movies isn't a bad thing.

LaughingPlace

I'm so pleased! With Halloween and all, Friday probably would have been a very misleading day to have BB open. Seeing it do so well on Saturday and Sunday makes me very happy. I have hopes that this movie will perform solidly....kids love bears and I for one, have been missing what a good 2D animated movie has to offer. Go BB!

Goofster

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
I'm sure they are. Having the top 2 movies isn't a bad thing.

wow, you're right, i didnt think about that. Of course, i never understood the whole Disney Miramax/ Dimension situation, and im not sure i ever will

CTXRover

Too Bad Brother Bear didn't come out on Friday!

Wow, according to the actual numbers Brother Bear made 19.4 million dollars over its first two days of wide release placing it #2 at the BO. But get this, the number 1 movie, Scary Movie 3 made only 20.0 million over its THREE days during the weekend, placing BB just .6 million from being first. Had it come out on Friday, BB would have surely been the number 1 movie of the weekend. Although there has been praise for Disney's decision to essentially "avoid" the curse of opening a movie wide on a Halloween Friday, one can't help but wonder if someone isn't kicking themselves for that decision. Being able to advertise BB as "the number 1 movie in America" would have been great. I guess we will have to settle for the "number one family film in America" :)

I haven't seen BB yet, but I hope to soon.

CTXRover

Comparison of BB's numbers

Since BB only had Sat. and Sun. to work with, what does making 19.4 million really mean? Well, for perspective, Treasure Planet made only 7 million on its first Sat. and Sun. and Atlantis made only 14 million on its first Sat. and Sun. Last year's 100+million dollar success The Santa Clause 2 made 21.4 million on its first Sat. and Sun. and Stitch made about 24 million on its first Sat. and Sun. So, BB did reasonably well. MUCH better than least year's complete flop, TP. It will be interesting to see how it can fare against the Matrix (not direct competition here though) and Elf (which may provide some stiff competition) before making any estimates on its total.

And for those interested, BB is almost already at the total for Dreamwork's flop this year, Sinbad, with a grand total of just 24 million (and a 3 day opening weekend of 6.8 million)

CTXRover

BB holds strong in second weekend!

Brother Bear made an estimated $18.6 million over its SECOND weekend of wide release dropping just 4% from its first weekend!! :sohappy:

Now, BB opened on Sat. last week so the percent drop from weekend to weekend is deceiving. However, looking at what BB did over this Sat and Sun (14.2 million) vs last Sat. and Sun. (19.4 million), it dropped only 27%, which is an astounding hold. Good word of mouth must be playing a large role and BB should continue to hold strong as it heads into the upcoming weeks and Thanksgiving.

X2CommNavISTC

Account Suspended
Seems like Brother Bear just wont get any luck.

Master and Commander (Very good. But missing something from the series) seems to be sailing away with #1. Elf will more than likely end up in second again. The looney toons movie is just, crap. True it does have a change, I just dont see it getting where we want it to be.

Plus with Bad Santa and HM coming out a week from this coming Wednesday, ouch.

CTXRover

Um, I don't know X2 would you might have thought BB was capable of, but nobody would have ever expected BB to take the top crown other than its opening weekend. Even then it opened #2, however, had it had a full 3 day opening weekend, it would have been number 1. Now last weekend, BB held on extremely well, falling just one place, despite two new movies coming out. The high profile Matrix Reloaded (which has been a disappointment at the BO, despite making 85 million its first 5 days of release), and ELF, which has shown to be a great family movie that is real competition for BB.

Now this weekend came Looney Tunes, which is just a major flop according to Friday's numbers, but more family movie competition for BB. That said, BB made quite a bit less on this Friday than I had expected, but I still anticipate a 10-12 million weekend. This movie is doing very well considering most in the industry had called 2D animation dead. It isn't Nemo's numbers, but they are good, and it still may have some hope of crossing 100 million. A far cry from Treasure Planets 30 some million and Dreamworks' Sinbad's 20 some million earlier this year. Look for BB to take 4th place this weekend (dropping one place despite two new movies opening), with Elf at number 1, followed by Master and Commander, and then Matrix.

CTXRover

In its third weekend of wide release, BB came in 4th place with an estimated $12 million bringing its sum to $63 million. The more important thing is that despite being in its 3rd weekend, BB still beat The Looney Tunes Movie that just opened this weekend by an estimated 2.5 million.

With a possible bump over Thanksgiving (despite good competition from both Cat in the Hat and Haunted Mansion), BB may (and I stress MAY) hit 100 after its final run. Although it may be closer to 87-95. Still decent considering the difficult time 2D has had at the theaters recently and a modest success for Disney.

CTXRover

Originally posted by MouseMan
So, forgive my ignorance, at what dollar figure will BB be considered a hit? :veryconfu

I'm saying anything north of 100 million at the domestic BO will generally be seen as a hit in the movie industry. However, the cost of this film has not been released from Disney, but most expect it to be near 80-100 million. That said, remember the studios only see about 52 some percent of the BO revenue. So generally, that means Disney will get about 50 million (assuming it hits around 100), but still be 50 million short of their investment. This will be easily be made up though through international sales and DVD/Video sales.

X2CommNavISTC

Account Suspended
If anyone wishes to know

1. Elf

2. Master and Commander (Makes better sense if you read to series)

3. Matrix

4. Brother Bear

5. Looney Toons

Snapper Bean

Brother Bear has grossed about 63 million through 11/16. I figure that number will be slightly over 80 million through Wednesday November 26 (Wednesday over Thanksgiving). The 4 day holiday should see good numbers which push it over 100 million by November 30th. I think Brother Bear will likely then gross about 20 million or so in December for a total US domestic gross of around 125 Million. Just my guess.

Snapper Bean

CTXRover

Brother Bear took a harder drop this weekend than most would have anticipated, resulting mainly from other family fare out there such as Elf and Cat in the Hat which did reasonably well. For its 4th weekend of wide release, BB made an estimated $5.4 million, a drop of about 54.7% from last weekend. This brings its total now to 70.4 million. Look for a grand total to reach approximately about 83-90 million.

The top films at the BO this weekend and their estimates in millions are:

Cat in the Hat: 40.0
Gothika: 19.6
Elf: 19.1
Master and Commander:15.2
Love Actually: 9.0
Matrix Revolutions: 6.7
Brother Bear: 5.4
Looney Tunes: 4.1
Scary Movie 3: 3.2
Radio: 2.6

Look for Cat in the Hat to drop below that 40 million mark. It is more than likely when a studio estimates something to 40.0, they are over-estimating to get into that next bracket (the 30's to the 40's). Probably going to be closer to 38 million when the actuals come in on Monday. Not bad, but well below most expectations of 47-53 million. (Grinch made 55 million its first weekend when released and it was in less theaters than CITH) I imagine this film will be hit hard next weekend as bad word of mouth circulates (I haven't talked to one person who did like it) allowing Haunted Mansion to easily take the crown over the holiday weekend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom