Broken Ankle

Nemo14

I'm so sorry to hear this. She might be in a walking boot by then, but even with that, she'll need at least a wheelchair. I had to do this last year, and actually I would recommend that you rent one from an outside company so that you'll have it all the time. Good luck!

Upvote 0

mikey531

Original Poster
She doesn't want to use a wheelchair when we get on the bus. I think we can rent a wheelchair at the parks and then she could use the crutches to get on the bus?

Upvote 0

Nemo14

If she thinks she can do it - we had our own car anyway, so the busses weren't an issue for us. I don't know which resort you're staying at, but the walk back to the room could be problematic too if she doesn't have a wheelchair.

Upvote 0

crispy

You might want to rent a car and see if you could get a temporary handicapped/disabled placard from your doctor to minimize walking. I think that would be a lot easier than taking Disney transportation since she may not get a seat. Also, try to get a GAC at guest services in case there are some queues that she can't navigate. Also, you may want to call your hotel and request a room closer to the main building/bus stops.

Sorry this happened so close to your trip. I hope you have a wonderful time!

Upvote 0

luv

I'd postpone the trip, if at all possible.

If you can't postpone, rent a car and get a scooter. I feel pretty badly for her. I was on crutches not too long ago. If you have zero upper body strength, it is VERY difficult at first. It gets better.

No way I'd have gone to WDW.

Upvote 0

Pinipig523

I'm an emergency medicine physician - we encounter this in the ER quite a bit. Someone who broke their ankle and wants to get around without the clumsiness of a wheelchair and without the hassle of crutches. I recommend an "ankle scooter".

I think it's wonderful and it's easily portable. You can easily get around WDW with one... check it out.

http://www.rolleraid.com/

or try this...

http://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Walker-Ankle-Crutch-Scooter/dp/B000NSSVYG

This seems to have a lot of good reviews...

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-790-Steerable-Walker/dp/B003VMAKVS/ref=pd_rhf_cr_s_cp_3

Upvote 0

awesomeinabox

I fall... A lot so I've been at theme parks in everything from a brace to a full on cast.
1) Don't have her walk unless it's healed. If she does it will injure her more in the long run.
2) Get a GAC. They're amazing and help a lot.
3) Call the resort ahead of time and explain the situation. They should put you by a bus stop or the front of the hotel.
4) I personally like crutches better than the wheel chair. But that's a preference. That rolly knee thing is fun too and better than the wheelchair. I'm just not too keen on wheelchairs in parks, I always felt awkward in one.

Upvote 0

luv

I second the not doing too much! I had visitors and attempted Sea World with them. I wanted so badly to watch the kids' faces when they saw Shamu...and I thought I had healed quicker than they expected.

It set me back so far it was almost like starting over. And I had to limp out of Sea World trying not to cry.

Don't let that happen to her.

Upvote 0

Plowboy

Your wife may wish to be careful how much time she spends on her feet. Many years ago I broke my leg and I got up on crutches for long periods of time a little too soon afterwards and it resulted in some very painful swelling. Hurt worse than the broken leg. That being said, what does her Dr. recommend?

Upvote 0

docdebbi

i sooo agree with pinipig the ER doc. I am an OB doc who had foot surgery a few months back. i was not allowed to walk on the foot for 6 weeks. I rented a knee scooter (he called it ankle scooter- i looked at the pic- same thing I used) i rented from "rentakneewalker.com". but i would shop around for the best price, they change from time to time. and cheaper than renting a wheelchair at disney- i paid $30 a week.

they deliver it right to your house and you ship in back in their box- they paid the shipping. if you don't want to bring it on the plane you could have it delivered to disney, but it certainly would be allowed and easy to get onto the plane.

i was able to return to work in 2 weeks, fully functional- even did deliveries and surgery on it!
they are very comfortable, very portable, and really FAST! i raced lots of nieces and nephews on their bikes- you can't keep an old person down!!! you just scoot with one knee on the very comfortably padded knee rest. just like a regular kids scooter- it will be an easier trip for her than if she were walking! one hint, the plastic knee rest gets wet if you are out in hot temps, in buildings i was fine. when traveling long distances outdoors, and i did travel ALOT, i just brought a washrag and put it on the kneerest.

you will need to bring her crutches to get up the bus steps, but you could leave them somehwhere near the front of the park rather than carry them. don't think anyone's stealing crutches at disney! let me take that back- i took a bus trip during the time i used them and didn't have crutches- just didn't bother to get them because i didn't need them (i thought! didn't plan on a bus trip!) anyway, i literally crawled up the steps of the bus on my knee and stepped right into the front seat of the bus when i got to the top. so if you really don't want to bring crutches, and you have no pride!!!!! or dignity!!!!!- then crawl up like i did. worked just fine

i would never let this interfere with my full enjoyment of a long planned and dreamed about disney trip. just don't give up or give in. she can do this!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom