British Movies

FutureCEO

Original Poster
I have a unhealthy obsession with all things British. I'm an American. I love the Brits style of humor. Not stupid humor like over here....just witty sarcastic humor. I was wondering if there's good British movies out there? i.e Brit director or movie set in Britain or about the country.

Few of the most recent movies I find interesting are The Queen, The Wind that Shakes the Barley (even though half the movie I had trouble with the accent), Slumdog Millionaire, Death at a Funeral and Love Actually (which is actually one of my favorite movies). As an American, I'm very limited in getting to watch the great entertainment from across the pond.

PUSH

Les Misérables takes place in France and is based on french history, but has a British director. It comes out in theaters on Christmas. Plus it has an outstanding group of actors with Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway and Russell Crowe.

donaldtoo

Anything Monty Python (although, not limited to that, by any means).
And, although I really like the PotC movies for the most part, Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow is a lightweight in comparison to Graham Chapman's Yellow Beard. :p :cool: ;)

dave&di

If you like LOve Actually you will also enjoy NOtting Hill, Bridget JOnes Diary and Four Weddings and a Funeral, they are all made by Richard Curtis and all feature 'British wit and sarcasm'!!! I should know, I'm British! :D

erasure fan1

Anything Monty Python (although, not limited to that, by any means).
Yup, love me some life of Brian and holy grail!

I am a HUGE fan of Wallace and Gromit.
logo.jpg

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Most British films are mince, because they dont have a decent budget. However we do make the odd good film and often films that Hollywood wouldnt touch. My favourite are
Gregorys Girl
Local Hero
Restless Natives
Trainspotting
Lock Stock & Barrel
Rocknrolla
The Long Good Friday
Chariots of Fire
Hot Fuzz

eeyoremum

A good British movie set during WW2 is Hope and Glory.

Don't forget about tv series some or my favourites:
Doc Martin
Bramwell
Downton Abby
Eastenders
Doctor Who
Upstairs/Downstairs
McCallum
Cold Feet

These are Scottish:
Hamish MacBeth
Monarch of the glen

Also, you don't need to buy a DVD for UK stuff most are made for the North American market, although very expensive. Most libraries have British titles, at least here in Canada. We do tend to have closer ties with the UK though.

stevehousse

If you like British movies, you would love their tv shows even more! Definitely check out the following! You will not be disappointed! These r my top 3 shows

Skins
Misfits
The Inbetweeners

Skins and misfits are still on air, Inbetweeners has been off for a few years, but they did a movie tht came out earlier this year!

The MTV version of Inbetweeners is good but does not even come close to the genius that was the British version! The MTV version of Skins was just awful, but the uk version has become one of my favorite shows of all time! I really hope you check these out!

You can view all of these on Hulu, Netflix or sidereel.com

jharvey

For me, British films are in two major categories, Lawrence of Arabia and all others. In the others category I can suggest Gandhi, Captain Blood (not what it sounds like, it is an old Errol Flynn classic), Atonement, Master and Commander, and Hot Fuzz.

Personal note: I am a Mississippi boy, which is about as non-British as you can get. But I love good movies and they are pretty good at turning them out.

bubbles1812

If you like British movies, you would love their tv shows even more! Definitely check out the following! You will not be disappointed! These r my top 3 shows

Skins
Misfits
The Inbetweeners

Skins and misfits are still on air, Inbetweeners has been off for a few years, but they did a movie tht came out earlier this year!

The MTV version of Inbetweeners is good but does not even come close to the genius that was the British version! The MTV version of Skins was just awful, but the uk version has become one of my favorite shows of all time! I really hope you check these out!

You can view all of these on Hulu, Netflix or sidereel.com

I attempted to watch the British Skins but I just could not get into it. Never bothered to watch the MTV Skins (I avoid that channel at all costs). One of my favs right now is "Spy." It's also on hulu and I'd totally encourage you to watch it. Pramface was pretty funny too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom