Bringing Back Tomorrowland

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Tomorrowland is one of the five original lands to open at Disneyland in 1955. The purpose of the land was to explore the realistic possibility of the future. As some of us may know, Walt Disney was known to for his curiosity about the future and what it held. Tomorrowland was no exception.

Here is the Tomorrowland snippet of Walt Disney's Disneyland. Skip to 6:35:

Here is Walt Disney's dedication speech for Tomorrowland. Ignore the first 30 seconds:

For years and years now, Tomorrowland has strayed from its original purpose. The land is now full of Star Wars attractions and merchandise, as well as attractions that diddle more in fantasy than realistic futurism. Not a single current attraction is related to that of Tomorrowland's original ideals. Some people like to use the fact that the future is always changing to excuse Disney from keeping up with the land. In my opinion, this is not a legitimate excuse to keep Tomorrowland from truly futuristic attractions. Yes, the future changes rapidly, but not so rapid that Disney would have to keep changing attractions every year or so. Tomorrowland has a lot of potential and has there is enough research and possibilities out there that could keep the land on its original feet. The purpose of this thread is to discuss topics regarding our future that Disney could incorporate into Tomorrowland. I will start with a few ideas.

1. Flying cars is a perfect example of what I spoke about in my introduction. Flying or levitating cars is certainly within our future, and yes, the ball is rolling, but they are not mainstream and most likely won't be mainstream in the next few years. People have been talking about flying/levitating cars since The Jetsons, and maybe even before that. George, Judy, Jane, and Elroy were traveling in flying cars in the early 60's... It's been over 50 years, and flying cars are still being developed. It would be really neat to incorporate this into Autopia, somehow. Even if the flying car approach isn't taken, transportation in general is changing. They are trying to develop self-driving cars (not sure how safe that would be) and a light speed train in California that would travel from Los Angeles to San Francisco and vice versa in just 30 minutes.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/05/when-cars-fly/476382/

2. A few days ago, scientists discovered a planet that possibly resembles earth. Current technology doesn't allow for us to explore the planet any time soon, but who knows, that could change in the next decade or more. This is a great source for an attraction. Speaking of space, we have yet to get to Mars, but apparently there are plans for that by the 2030's. Get on it, Disney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=193&v=aOTWo6_602Q

3. Only a small percentage of the ocean has been discovered. Need say no more.

There are other topics prime for possible attractions, such as the future of medicine and global warming. Disney just has to be willing to do some research and actually want to keep Tomorrowland...tomorrow.

What are some other topics that would work well for Tomorrowland?

orlando678-

I think teleportation could serve as a pretty cool attraction, something simulating the easy transportation to places as Antarctica, a Volcano, the city by such effects as wind, sound and temperature. Also, maybe not as interesting as the other themes, but something like a futuristic train/monorail type ride like in the Tomorrowland movie. And finally i would love to see something with robots.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I think teleportation could serve as a pretty cool attraction, something simulating the easy transportation to places as Antarctica, a Volcano, the city by such effects as wind, sound and temperature. Also, maybe not as interesting as the other themes, but something like a futuristic train/monorail type ride like in the Tomorrowland movie. And finally i would love to see something with robots.

Robots are definitely within our future, I'd love to see something based on those possibilities in Tomorrowland, too.

Earl Sweatpants

What they COULD do, since it looks like FW at Epcot is currently a dead and dying thing...is make TL into a smaller version of what FW should be...
-Move Buzz Lightyear to DCA and put in a Horizons-type ride looking ahead.
-Do a serious overhaul of the Nemo sub ride and make it into SeaBase Beta.
-Keep Space Mountain as is, but really up the interior to that of actual space (not just stars).
-Autopia is the perfect place to experiment with futuristic transportation (their current "update" is awful)
-Switch out Star Tours for something akin to Body Wars or a Mars exploration simulator.
...that still leaves the Star Trader building, the adjoining theatre space, and the whole Launch Bay building for other amazing upgrades.

westie

I think one thing that should be pointed out is the loss of rides and attractions. The people mover/rocket rods, carousel of progress, skyway and rocket jets have never been replaced. Starcade has disappeared never to return. Tomorrowland is becoming Disappearingland.

morningstar

I kind of like this idea, since the west coast doesn't have anything like Epcot. Maybe they could even clone some rides between Tomorrowland and Epcot and revitalize both.

I do like the retrofuturistic style of the Tomorrowland of yesterday. Since WDW has Epcot, The Magic Kingdom could keep its Tomorrowland in that style.

StarWarsGirl

Much as I love Star Wars and as awesome as Hyperspace Mountain is, I have to say that overall, Tomorrowland is the worst land in Disneyland. It's unbelievable that the PeopleMover tracks are just sitting there. In a park where everything else is very nearly perfect, it's quite a shame they've let Tomorrowland get that bad.

NobodyElse

Much as I love Star Wars and as awesome as Hyperspace Mountain is, I have to say that overall, Tomorrowland is the worst land in Disneyland. It's unbelievable that the PeopleMover tracks are just sitting there. In a park where everything else is very nearly perfect, it's quite a shame they've let Tomorrowland get that bad.

Yes, the PeopleMover tracks are almost an insulting slap in the face at this point. They should figure out some sort of Pepper's Ghost / projection mapping gimmick to display the "ghosts of ride vehicles past" up there.

Hedwig's Keeper

I love teleportation like in Star Trek. Disney needs to do this, the ride mechanism to do it has already been figured out - https://www.google.com.na/patents/US8795095

Overall, TL does need more hard science fiction to bring back the excitement of what could really be right around the corner.

Imagineerland

I have been working with this concept on my blog actually as a part of an overall Disneyland Resort long term expansion plan. Therefore, this is a bit long post, sorry. But it comes with a lot of ideas for new topics to cover in the land.

I definitely agree that Tomorrowland has lost its way and its due to the lack of clear direction about the specific tone of the land. Is it scientific real future? Sci-fi? Aliens? Star Wars? Anything Pixar that doesn't fit elsewhere? It needs a single ideology theme.

I decided to develop my version of Tomorrowland as a realistic scientific research station, focusing on space travel, the most realistic and exciting element that has always been a part of the land. This is the land where we look to the future and to the stars, always optimistic for a better tomorrow. This refreshed land is has almost an EPCOT philosophy, but specifically focused on a fantasy based but realistic future of life in space. It therefore borrows a few attractions from EPCOT.

The other inspiration for the subject, the tone, and the style of the land comes from a series of posters released by NASA (http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/visions-of-the-future/) which show our universe as a series of travel destinations. These are so incredible beautiful and optimistic, suggesting a time where the universe is accessible and a part of human society and technology is the driving element of life. Perfect for Tomorrowland.

I set up the refreshed land with 3 sub areas, focusing on the future of technology, the future of life on earth, and the future of space travel, but they all tie together.

I'll just give a quick rundown of the attractions that I proposed adding or changing. I wrote alot more about them all on my blog, so look there if you want some more information.

SRFUMyd.jpg

As an overall addition, I propose a elevated second level to the land, organically sweeping from attraction to attraction. The goals were to relieve crowding and add iconic organic statement architecture. It is lined with vegetation and has second level access to multiple buildings of the land, accessed with new elevator and stair towers on the west and north sides and the second level of the reopened Starcade. The future should not be wall to wall people or a concrete wasteland, so this is my attempt to address both.

Future of Life on Earth area focuses on a modern civilization that lives with and explores the Earth:
-Nemo is removed from the Subs and the attraction now is dressed as high tech research vessels that explores life underwater while on a trip to SeaBase Pacific, an underwater futuristic community. Trip includes run ins with exotic fish, a squid, and ultimately passing through the underwater city.
-The Autopia remains, but better dressed to reflect a more futuristic form of transportation. Ideally electric.
-The Carousel building is replaced with a new modern take on Horizons, looking at a variety of high tech living situations and societies on a trip from earth to a space station and then on to a distant planet. It follows members of a single family as we travel the universe.
-The peoplemover returns, and now loads from the second floor of the now Horizons building.

Future of Technology looks at how science can advance life:
-Star Tours is replaced with a high speed transit ride through the future cities of the world. The ultra fast train tours us through an expanded Tomorrowland world, then jumps to fantasy versions of major future cities, like London, where a rocket dwarfs Big Ben.
-Buzz just does not fit in this setting, so is replaced with another IP attraction Using the scientific scenes and ideology of Big Hero 6, this new dark ride give us a tour of a robotics and science lab, led by Baymax, where the are plenty of robots and experiments and plenty of potential for something to go wrong. The focus is on the potential of technology, not the IP, which is just used to facilitate the overall theme.

Future of Space Travel celebrates the desire to explore the universe:
-Space Mountain removes Star Wars but keeps the projection space to show us passing planets and other rockets.
-The Astro Orbiter comes back to the center of the land, elevated above the new second level.
-And finally, the 3D theater is replaced with a new indoor concourse and a new attraction, anchored by a large rocket pointing to the stars. Inside the concourse splits to a new entrance to Space Mountain and the new attraction on the theater space, a cross between Mission:Space and the original Mission to Mars. A round theater platform under a full projection dome sits on a rotating motion base so that the rotation and motion base can simulate light G forces and the free floating of space. The attraction launches us into space where we first visit a huge space station city, and then blast on to Mars.

These are just some rough ideas, but I agree that the land has a lot of potential to be fixed if brought back to a real life science background. Just the question is if Disney would be willing to forgo a lot of space that could be unrelated and misplaced IPs.

Mike S

Tomorrowland is one of the five original lands to open at Disneyland in 1955. The purpose of the land was to explore the realistic possibility of the future. As some of us may know, Walt Disney was known to for his curiosity about the future and what it held. Tomorrowland was no exception.

Here is the Tomorrowland snippet of Walt Disney's Disneyland. Skip to 6:35:

Here is Walt Disney's dedication speech for Tomorrowland. Ignore the first 30 seconds:

For years and years now, Tomorrowland has strayed from its original purpose. The land is now full of Star Wars attractions and merchandise, as well as attractions that diddle more in fantasy than realistic futurism. Not a single current attraction is related to that of Tomorrowland's original ideals. Some people like to use the fact that the future is always changing to excuse Disney from keeping up with the land. In my opinion, this is not a legitimate excuse to keep Tomorrowland from truly futuristic attractions. Yes, the future changes rapidly, but not so rapid that Disney would have to keep changing attractions every year or so. Tomorrowland has a lot of potential and has there is enough research and possibilities out there that could keep the land on its original feet. The purpose of this thread is to discuss topics regarding our future that Disney could incorporate into Tomorrowland. I will start with a few ideas.

1. Flying cars is a perfect example of what I spoke about in my introduction. Flying or levitating cars is certainly within our future, and yes, the ball is rolling, but they are not mainstream and most likely won't be mainstream in the next few years. People have been talking about flying/levitating cars since The Jetsons, and maybe even before that. George, Judy, Jane, and Elroy were traveling in flying cars in the early 60's... It's been over 50 years, and flying cars are still being developed. It would be really neat to incorporate this into Autopia, somehow. Even if the flying car approach isn't taken, transportation in general is changing. They are trying to develop self-driving cars (not sure how safe that would be) and a light speed train in California that would travel from Los Angeles to San Francisco and vice versa in just 30 minutes.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/05/when-cars-fly/476382/

2. A few days ago, scientists discovered a planet that possibly resembles earth. Current technology doesn't allow for us to explore the planet any time soon, but who knows, that could change in the next decade or more. This is a great source for an attraction. Speaking of space, we have yet to get to Mars, but apparently there are plans for that by the 2030's. Get on it, Disney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=193&v=aOTWo6_602Q

3. Only a small percentage of the ocean has been discovered. Need say no more.

There are other topics prime for possible attractions, such as the future of medicine and global warming. Disney just has to be willing to do some research and actually want to keep Tomorrowland...tomorrow.

What are some other topics that would work well for Tomorrowland?

The Tomorrowland problem is the same one as Future World. For Tomorrowland I think their old plan of making them more of a timeless concept would work (Discoveryland at DLP and MK's TL 94). They just need to stick with it which they haven't. Leave the real future to Epcot.
Well they used to teleport a carnivorous alien into MK but now it's Stitch...

You guys were supposed to get that at one point too.
Great thread idea! For me, transportation has always screamed "the future", whether in the form of flying car or underwater vessel. The proposed bullet train for California that would travel between San Francisco and Los Angeles has my interest now, so I think something with that same kind of innovation would be really fun for Tomorrowland.
I think the Monorail already fills this purpose very well.
What they COULD do, since it looks like FW at Epcot is currently a dead and dying thing...is make TL into a smaller version of what FW should be...
-Move Buzz Lightyear to DCA and put in a Horizons-type ride looking ahead.
-Do a serious overhaul of the Nemo sub ride and make it into SeaBase Beta.
-Keep Space Mountain as is, but really up the interior to that of actual space (not just stars).
-Autopia is the perfect place to experiment with futuristic transportation (their current "update" is awful)
-Switch out Star Tours for something akin to Body Wars or a Mars exploration simulator.
...that still leaves the Star Trader building, the adjoining theatre space, and the whole Launch Bay building for other amazing upgrades.
I love the SeaBase Beta idea to tie into Epcot.
Scientists, for whatever reason, are attempting to bring back extinct animals. This would be another great source for an attraction.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/deextinction/
This sounds better suited for an island somewhere.
your-scientists.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom