Bring Back the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra

4kmouse

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Hey everyone,

I wanted to talk about something that's been on my mind lately - the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra at Disney. I've been to the Grand Floridian Resort & Spa a bunch of times and have always loved catching their performances. But what makes this issue even more personal for me is that I actually know a few of the guys from the orchestra, and they are seriously some of the coolest, nicest dudes out there.

I used to love stopping to chat with them after their sets, and it was clear how much they loved playing for the guests. When I found out that the orchestra had been removed, I was bummed for myself, but I was also sad for these amazing people who had lost their jobs.

I get that there might have been some financial reasons for the orchestra's removal, but I really think that the value they brought to the guest experience was totally worth it. They were a huge part of what made the Grand Floridian so special, and it's just not the same without them.

nickys

Premium Member
Hey everyone,

I wanted to talk about something that's been on my mind lately - the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra at Disney. I've been to the Grand Floridian Resort & Spa a bunch of times and have always loved catching their performances. But what makes this issue even more personal for me is that I actually know a few of the guys from the orchestra, and they are seriously some of the coolest, nicest dudes out there.

I used to love stopping to chat with them after their sets, and it was clear how much they loved playing for the guests. When I found out that the orchestra had been removed, I was bummed for myself, but I was also sad for these amazing people who had lost their jobs.

I get that there might have been some financial reasons for the orchestra's removal, but I really think that the value they brought to the guest experience was totally worth it. They were a huge part of what made the Grand Floridian so special, and it's just not the same without them.
I agree 100%

However I doubt it will happen. When they re-themed MIzner’s into The Enchanted Rose the orchestra area was replaced. And when they were relocated to downstairs the acoustics just didn’t work.

I’d love nothing more than to be proved wrong on this but I just don’t see it happening. Unless they were offered something else. For a short time they were playing at DHS, until the show was cancelled.

Tiki Traveler

We have very fond memories of them playing on the first floor - watching a young at heart couple waltz while three generations of their family looked on, another time watching a bartender lead much of the crowd in a dance line to “When the Saints Go Marching In”. Now I wish I had joined in, waved a napkin and danced around the first floor of the GF too! ❤️

Lilofan

Hey everyone,

Before the GF cast got laid off the orchestra performed at the Beauty & the Beast theatre at DHS with multiple sets each day. Some shows were videotaped and the theatre was near empty of guests.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Before the GF cast got laid off the orchestra performed at the Beauty & the Beast theatre at DHS with multiple sets each day. Some shows were videotaped and the theatre was near empty of guests.
I'm sure the Dapper Dans or the Tam Tam Drummers would have done terribly there, too.

It was the wrong venue (although it was what was available at the time).

jeff4165

Maybe I can comment on this. I'm Jeff Phillips and I was the pianist in the 2 day band. We were never coming back. We were on the chopping block 2 1/2 years earlier than March 2020. When the upstairs bar was built, they were supposed to build us a permanent stage. When that didn't happen that was the kiss of death. Chapek wanted us gone before he became President. A former GM and a local manager "saved" us 2 1/2 years earlier. I was only privy to that information because I happened to be in the right place at the right time and was sworn to never reveal how close we were to being finished. I revealed this to the former 5 days leader at the end of their run at "The Studios". I did not return for that run. My last day before everything shut down was a good one, and I wanted to leave it that way. The group will never be returned because of the company's current attitude towards live music in general and what their "vision" of the "Disney look" is. We loved playing for all of you.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Maybe I can comment on this. I'm Jeff Phillips and I was the pianist in the 2 day band. We were never coming back. We were on the chopping block 2 1/2 years earlier than March 2020. When the upstairs bar was built, they were supposed to build us a permanent stage. When that didn't happen that was the kiss of death. Chapek wanted us gone before he became President. A former GM and a local manager "saved" us 2 1/2 years earlier. I was only privy to that information because I happened to be in the right place at the right time and was sworn to never reveal how close we were to being finished. I revealed this to the former 5 days leader at the end of their run at "The Studios". I did not return for that run. My last day before everything shut down was a good one, and I wanted to leave it that way. The group will never be returned because of the company's current attitude towards live music in general and what their "vision" of the "Disney look" is. We loved playing for all of you.
And we loved you. ❤️

Thank you for all your years of bringing us joy each time we stepped into the Grand lobby.

nickys

Premium Member
This is sad to read.

What are you doing now? I hope you’re still playing music somewhere.

JIMINYCR

DW and I have never booked a stay at the GF but we made it a point to take time to visit the resort in order to enjoy the music. We had no interest in the shops there except when we strolled in to listen. We occasionally dined at one of the restaurants but you and the band was the prime reason we ever stepped into the GF. Another bad move by Bob that took away a pleasurable Disney piece we now have to live without. That has kept us out of the GF since your removal.

jpinkc

I will never forget my daughter on our first trip to GF (with kids) dancing in the GF lobby while band played. She was 7 or 8, its a picture I still have on my phone to this day. To her it was MAGIC!!!

We always loved going to listen to you all, esp my husband who is a professional musician. GFSO WAS the GF, and the live entertainment is what makes Disney. We haven't wanted to stay at the GF or visit it since.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom