Brightline train from South Florida to Orlando should be operational by summer 2023.

DisneyCane

It's not about time. The idea is not having to drive.

I'd happily ride on a train for an 60-90 minutes longer than the drive to not have to deal with 95 or the turnpike.
I can understand the preference. My trips are usually 1 or 2 nights so minimizing travel time and having my vehicle to get around when I'm there are more important than taking the travel stress out.

I deal with the turnpike better now that I have a vehicle with adaptive cruise control. It lowers the risk of getting shot at because I'm tailgating the guy going 69 in the left lane pacing the 18 wheeler next to him

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I can understand the preference. My trips are usually 1 or 2 nights
same here, but in the other direction. With a baby, we have to factor in a stop for at least 30 minutes to change him, feed him, persuade him back into his carseat, and empty our own tanks. At least in the train, it's in motion the entire time while we're doing that.

Plus, I can drink an adult beverage on the train and get the weekend started early. Can't do that in the car.

Andrew25

same here, but in the other direction. With a baby, we have to factor in a stop for at least 30 minutes to change him, feed him, persuade him back into his carseat, and empty our own tanks. At least in the train, it's in motion the entire time while we're doing that.

Plus, I can drink an adult beverage on the train and get the weekend started early. Can't do that in the car.

This is what people down in Miami have been looking for. It's not the speed but the comfort of travel between both destinations.

Most people when driving between SoFL and Orlando will stop at one of the rest stops for at least half an hour, which pretty much makes your journey about the same or even longer than Brightline.

mkt

Premium Member
This is what people down in Miami have been looking for. It's not the speed but the comfort of travel between both destinations.

Most people when driving between SoFL and Orlando will stop at one of the rest stops for at least half an hour, which pretty much makes your journey about the same or even longer than Brightline.
When I lived in Miami, I'd actually fly to Orlando and rent a car there many times. Show up, carry on only, get dinner at the lounge, fly to MCO, rent a car, and be on my way.

Leaving Miami after work on a Friday is so horrible that dealing with TSA and a plane is easier.

Andrew25

When I lived in Miami, I'd actually fly to Orlando and rent a car there many times. Show up, carry on only, get dinner at the lounge, fly to MCO, rent a car, and be on my way.

Leaving Miami after work on a Friday is so horrible that dealing with TSA and a plane is easier.

Did the same thing, but my flight got delayed once by 3 hours, which turned the trip into an 6-hour ordeal lol

Flying would be my preferred method, but MCO has gotten pretty bad recently

I live in Orlando now, but I would definitely be taking the train once it opens. The turnpike has become dangerous this past year with the amount of new residents the state is receiving.

mkt

Premium Member
Did the same thing, but my flight got delayed once by 3 hours, which turned the trip into an 6-hour ordeal lol

Flying would be my preferred method, but MCO has gotten pretty bad recently

I live in Orlando now, but I would definitely be taking the train once it opens. The turnpike has become dangerous this past year with the amount of new residents the state is receiving.
I was fortunate that I was only delayed one time on the flight. But doing the drive during crappy weather can be a 6 hour ordeal... I'd rather be at the airport where there's food and drink for a delay than during a summer rainstorm on the turnpike.

lazyboy97o

No. Impatient idiots killed themselves.
This. Florida as a whole has above normal train-related deaths. It’s not just Brightline. Even the slow commuter lines like SunRail have a disproportionately high number of deaths. A lot of them aren’t even at crossings, they’re people walking on the tracks.

Vegas Disney Fan

It's not about time. The idea is not having to drive.

I'd happily ride on a train for an 60-90 minutes longer than the drive to not have to deal with 95 or the turnpike.
For us it’s convenience also, we often take the train rather than flying or driving when we’re in Europe, we don’t have to worry about getting lost and it’s so nice to just show up 15 minutes before departure time, no long bag check in lines, no long security lines, just take your stuff with you and get on. And if you miss your train the next one’s probably in 15-30 minutes (and not full) so you just get on that one instead.

It would be nice if Brightline was the faster, separated grade crossing, system they have in Europe but the US system needs to start somewhere and Brightlines doing a great job of introducing Americans to higher speed rail, I just wish they’d start the line from Vegas to Anaheim through Victorville, I salivate at the thought of not having to make that drive anymore but I suspect I’ll be gone (either moved or in the grave) before it ever gets completed.

Vegas Disney Fan

Just watched an update on the California high speed rail and have come to the conclusion that Florida is blessed to have a company like Brightline.

The cost of Ca high speed rail has ballooned from the $25 billion approved to build the entire 500 mile line to now over $100 billion, with a very real possibility it doesn’t get completed before 2050, if it ever gets completed.

Brightline may be slow by modern high speed rail standards but a 100mph train is infinitely better than a product that won’t be done for 30 more years, if ever.

the.dreamfinder

Just watched an update on the California high speed rail and have come to the conclusion that Florida is blessed to have a company like Brightline.

The cost of Ca high speed rail has ballooned from the $25 billion approved to build the entire 500 mile line to now over $100 billion, with a very real possibility it doesn’t get completed before 2050, if it ever gets completed.

Brightline may be slow by modern high speed rail standards but a 100mph train is infinitely better than a product that won’t be done for 30 more years, if ever.
I would not compare CAHSR to Brightline. Brightline is higher speed rail with diesel electric units, CAHSR is a more comprehensive, almost statewide high speed rail system. At those higher speeds and with improving mass transit systems in LA and the Bay Area, CAHSR will be superior to driving between the two cities and will help connect the middle of the state to those metros. Not saying that Brightline won’t be an improvement, but you’re still being shuttled between car dependent areas.

Brightline also had most of its right of way since it was developed on freight lines owned by Flagler, CAHSR needed to spend the time and money to acquire its right of way. Not that it’s been brought up, but China’s HSR system cannot be brought up as there is the government ultimately owns all land so there is no process of imminent domain, just seizure of land.

Electrified rails are more expensive to build than diesel. CAHSR will be entirely electric and has already improved track that it will use in Northern California as CalTrans recently moved from diesel to electric train sets.

Also, dirty little secret, US highways are incredibly expensive to build and maintain, yet they don’t get the scrutiny transit and rail do. Nor are they “profitable” as they need that federal money because tolls wouldn’t be able to cover their costs in most cases. US Interstates gets tens billions of dollars a year for endless widening and modernization projects while rail projects like CAHSR barely gets federal funding despite the fact California pays more in federal taxes than in gets back. The same could be said about the Northeast Corridor where we cannot get any funding for Amtrak’s HSR plan that would halve the time it takes to get to say DC to Philly or NYC to Boston.

Brightline is better than Florida’s status quo and you can’t compare it to a system that will transform California like the Shinkansen transformed Japan by connecting its two biggest metros, Tokyo and Osaka and the cities in between, with high speed service.

lazyboy97o

I would not compare CAHSR to Brightline. Brightline is higher speed rail with diesel electric units, CAHSR is a more comprehensive, almost statewide high speed rail system. At those higher speeds and with improving mass transit systems in LA and the Bay Area, CAHSR will be superior to driving between the two cities and will help connect the middle of the state to those metros. Not saying that Brightline won’t be an improvement, but you’re still being shuttled between car dependent areas.

Brightline also had most of its right of way since it was developed on freight lines owned by Flagler, CAHSR needed to spend the time and money to acquire its right of way. Not that it’s been brought up, but China’s HSR system cannot be brought up as there is the government ultimately owns all land so there is no process of imminent domain, just seizure of land.

Electrified rails are more expensive to build than diesel. CAHSR will be entirely electric and has already improved track that it will use in Northern California as CalTrans recently moved from diesel to electric train sets.

Also, dirty little secret, US highways are incredibly expensive to build and maintain, yet they don’t get the scrutiny transit and rail do. Nor are they “profitable” as they need that federal money because tolls wouldn’t be able to cover their costs in most cases. US Interstates gets tens billions of dollars a year for endless widening and modernization projects while rail projects like CAHSR barely gets federal funding despite the fact California pays more in federal taxes than in gets back. The same could be said about the Northeast Corridor where we cannot get any funding for Amtrak’s HSR plan that would halve the time it takes to get to say DC to Philly or NYC to Boston.

Brightline is better than Florida’s status quo and you can’t compare it to a system that will transform California like the Shinkansen transformed Japan by connecting its two biggest metros, Tokyo and Osaka and the cities in between, with high speed service.
California’s high speed rail cost is still coming in significantly higher than other projects in places like Japan or France. SNCF walked away because it was so dysfunctional. It’s certainly far more ambitious than Brightline but it’s also been a complete mess.

Bocabear

We took a cruise from Tampa recently and took the Amtrak from Ft Lauderdale to Tampa... It took the same amount of time as driving...maybe a little less, and was so pleasant. Brightline is the only way I will go to Miami these days...no parking hassles or traffic. It is a pleasure. I would think the Brightline could make it to Orlando faster than driving and infinitely more pleasant!!

Vegas Disney Fan

The problem is it has to be finished to transform travel.

The shows I watched said the most likely outcome was A) they hand over the unfinished project to Amtrak and Amtrak uses it with their existing 100mph diesel trains, B) they finish the electrified Merced to Bakersfield line and run 220mph trains but they only benefit 5% of the population, C) they complete the line from San Fran to Bakersfield, and build the line from Burbank to Anaheim but it’s disconnected because the tunnels between Burbank and Bakersfield are becoming more expensive every day.

They didn’t anticipate LA ever being connected to SF, not in our lifetime anyway.

Ironically they said the Brightline train from Vegas to Rancho Cucamonga may possibly save the project because it’ll likely expose more people to the benefits of high speed rail than the central line and they’ll ultimately need Californians to vote for more funding.

Both had $25 billion to spend, Brightline used it to buy a Honda Accord, it’s not the fastest or most exotic form of transportation but it’ll get you from point A to point B reliably and they get it immediately, CA used it to put a down payment on a Ferrari, it’s fast and sexy but they still need to come up with another $75 billion before they’ll ever be able to actually drive it.

If they find the money CSHR will be amazing, they need to find the money first though.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom