Breast feeding in WDW

awoogala

never at the world, but I have fed all over. Never had a single problem, anywhere. I think part of it is attitude. If you look embarassed, people tend to pay more attention. ;) Be calm and confident, and relax. There are plenty of little out of the way spots if that makes you more comfortable, like in the maze garden area in epcot.
another great thing is feeding in a sling.. that way, I could just keep walking..no one was ever the wiser. sling and baby covered belly (the only area I was truly worried about exposing :eek:), and no one looked twice.

Figgy1

Premium Member
never at the world, but I have fed all over. Never had a single problem, anywhere. I think part of it is attitude. If you look embarassed, people tend to pay more attention. ;) Be calm and confident, and relax. There are plenty of little out of the way spots if that makes you more comfortable, like in the maze garden area in epcot.
another great thing is feeding in a sling.. that way, I could just keep walking..no one was ever the wiser. sling and baby covered belly (the only area I was truly worried about exposing :eek:), and no one looked twice.
Can't agree more button down or loose blousy shirts also a help. Don't worry a baby has to eat and most people are too busy to notice even if you did it in the open with no covering.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I'm tired of the double standard. Breast feeding A-OK, but as soon as I start to pee on a discreet bush or the Imperial Walker, there's trouble a-brewing.

Cosmic Commando

I'm tired of the double standard. Breast feeding A-OK, but as soon as I start to pee on a discreet bush or the Imperial Walker, there's trouble a-brewing.

28673306.jpg

ratherbeinwdw

I breast fed both of my children-one until she was 13 months old, and never one time exposed my in public. It just isn't necessary to do so. My daughter was born in July, so heat is no excuse to expose a breast. A breast is still a breast when it has a baby attached to it. A person has every right to breast feed in public. She doesn't have the right to expose her to others. A slip is one thing, but several of the women we saw in September, didn't even try to cover up. They "whipped it out", left it hanging while they got the baby ready and then finally started feeding the baby. It was if they were doing it with a definance to others. I don't usually pay attention to breast feeding moms, as I was one, but this was a totally different type of thing. There are too many unsavory people in the parks for women to do this. One of the women plopped down on the curb close to the main entrance area to the Toy Story area right where everyone comes off the ramp or stairs and did this. There was a shaded bench about 20 feet from her. You could not avoid seeing her.
If a non breast feeding mom pulled her breast out while sitting on the curb, what would you thing of that? Guys don't need to reply :p. I know my son would have no problem with that.
So ladies, breast feed those precious little ones, but, at least, try to keep covered.

Gaby

to share my experience...
Just finished a wonderful week at WDW (May 2013). Breastfeed my 2.5 year old everywhere; the resort, restaurants, on the shuttlebus, the people mover, benches...I was discreet by using breastfeeding shirts often, but also regular tshirts. As long as you are fast latching on, people see very little; babies and mamas get efficient.
Two words: nobody cares. My experience was that most people are texting. Also, WDW is so multicultural, and people from other countries are used to seeing breastfeeding (in many countries, are viewed more about baby nutrition).
I got the occ. kind smile. I chatted with moms, dads, and kids on the shuttle while nursing. We talked about WDW; nobody stared or asked about nursing a toddler. My husband did not observe any reactions either.
Perhaps some people have an agenda and are daring a confrontation, so they take their time while the breast is out (for those stories on "Strangest things seen at disney"). More likely mama is tired and baby is cranky and screaming. Most mamas are too preoccupied to make grand social statements, in line, at WDW.
To paraphrase Eleanor Roosevelt, don't worry much about what others think of you; they seldom do. People are way too preoccupied with their own fun and problems to be interested or impressed by breastfeeding.

dopeylover

I used my 'Hooter Hider' only when we were outside and feeding. I have no problem w/ BF at all, but it was too darn hot to wear layers and this way I didn't have to get annoyed at people being rude while feeding my daughter. I found that the 'hider' didn't over hear her, but did provide her some comforting shade while she ate! In shows, I would just discreetly feed her w/o it.

If you can take advantage of pumping, remember Mods and Deluxe hotels have fridges, so it's easy to store!

Hot Lava

'm tired of the double standard. Breast feeding A-OK, but as soon as I start to pee on a discreet bush or the Imperial Walker, there's trouble a-brewing.
As soon as yours provides essential nourishment to a growing human, I am sure it will be no problem.

jmorri26

Here's my take on it from our last trip and my personal experiences:

-I never once used the Baby Care Centers. Wanted to, but 9 times out of 10 we were on the other side of the parks from them and had a big family with us, so it was a huge waste to huff it across the park and do it.
-I was more modest and embarrassed because half the time I was sitting next to my dad or brothers- not a problem for some but I was way uncomfortable with that. But in general, no one cared. I didn't buy a cover or anything fancy, just a linen swaddling blanket we kept in our bag or big oversized tops layered over tanks. Stuff I could easily tuck baby under the big layer and no one noticed. I read that tip online and loved it.
-Most of the time, I ended up feeding him in restaurants. I particularly remember in San Angel Inn tossing the blanket and keeping on eating. The silence of the baby is worth the weirdness. I saw others doing similar throughout our stay. Occasionally we'd exchange sympathetic glances like "I hear ya, sister"
- I did it on rides a few times. Haunted Mansion was my fav haha. Anything dark. We don't do shows usually, so we never went out of the way to stop and do it. If not on a ride and he was hungry, I'd just say he needed a pit stop and sit on a bench for a minute.
-Bathrooms were great too. I didn't think of this as gross, but it was private and quiet. I'd change him then duck into a stall to sit for a minute and let him do his thing in the air conditioning.

tare

Yes I would use the mother rooms they have available. Too many onlookers to deal with I would think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom